QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Isao Takahata has died
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Isao Takahata has died Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Isao Takahata has diedPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just saw the very sad news that Isao Takahata, director of Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya has died at the age of 82.

May he rest in peace. 

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 04.05.2018, 08:35 PM.

04.05.2018, 05:11 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This was an irreparable loss for the animation industry.

Isao Takahata is the true Ghibli pioneer, Miyazaki would have a very different directorial style if it wasn't for the tutoring and partnership he got from Takahata, who showed him how to make great fantasy movies while still capturing the subtleties of human beings and human relationships. Takahata's direction is objective and sincere, it's why his films feel so realistic.

I would love to know in what projects he was working on, I hope they're published somehow.

Post last edited by belborges on 04.05.2018, 11:26 PM.

04.05.2018, 08:37 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

RIP, Takahata-san, you will be greatly missed...

04.05.2018, 11:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So sad just saw the post from roar in our facebook group. Mr. Takahata was a true master of animation. I hope Studio Ghibli releases something about this. This is the press release from ghibli

quote:

1. Studio Ghibli Director
長年にわたり数々の名作アニメーションを世に送り出し 続けていた高畑 勲さんが、2018年4月5日(木)午前1時19分、帝京大学医学 部附属病院にて、ご逝去されました。死因は肺がんで、 享年82歳でした

ここに心からご冥福をお祈りするとともに、通夜及び葬 儀につきましては、近親者のみにて執り行うことをご報 告いたします

香典・供花・弔電等のご厚志及び弔問につきましては、 固くご辞退されておられますので、あわせてご連絡申し 上げます

なお、故人との「お別れの会」を5月15日に執り行なう予 定です。会の詳細につきましては、決まり次第、改めて 連絡させていただきますので、今しばらくお待ちくださ い

Rough Translation: Mr. Isao Takahata who had been sending out a number of masterpiece animations to the world for many years passed away at 1:19 am at Teikyo University Medical School attached hospital on Thursday, April 5, 2018. The cause of death was lung cancer, I was 82 years old at age

We wish you a sincere heartfelt thanks to you, and we will report that we will perform only at the close relatives about the evening and funeral

Regarding the wishes and condolences of gift, flower, condolence etc etc, we are strongly declining, so we will contact you as soon as possible

In addition, we are going to take "Farewell Party" with the deceased on 15th May. As for the details of the meeting, as soon as it is decided, we will contact you again, please wait for a while now

2. Toshio Suzuki
スタジオジブリより
「やりたい事がいっぱいある人だったので、さぞかし無 念だと思います。宮崎駿とも相談し、ジブリとして盛大 なお別れの会をとり行い、見送ることにしました」

Rough Translation: From Studio Ghibli
"Because I was a person who has plenty of things I want to do, I think it is regrettable, I consulted with Miyazaki Hayao, and I decided to take a grand farewell party as a ghibli, and decide to send off."

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.06.2018, 05:05 AM.

04.06.2018, 04:55 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I replied to this news in another thread already, but as I said there, I'm very sad to hear about this. I agree with belborges about his importance. Even though people's main image of Ghibli is usually Miyazaki's films with their more consistent style, I think Takahata's willingness to experiment and dedication to showing real human feelings and motivations really set Ghibli apart from other studios.

04.06.2018, 05:46 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am terribly saddened and shocked by this news which seems to havve come out of nowhere. While Miyazaki was the man who garnered the fame and attention, I sometimes feel that Takahata's work was in several ways more significant. "Only Yesterday" will for always be one of my most loved Ghibli works, it had a certain special understated style and mood that Miyazaki's more dramatic style lacked.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.06.2018, 12:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
River Spirit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.24.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by River Spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is shocking and terribly sad. A devastating loss for Ghibli.

RIP

04.07.2018, 03:19 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
night_bird
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.03.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by night_bird Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Very sad. But he left behind such wonderful creations. People will remember him.

04.09.2018, 11:03 PM night_bird is offline   Profile for night_bird Add night_bird to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0u8cLX1VsY

Miyazaki's speech at Takahata's memorial service.

05.21.2018, 05:38 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Maenad1
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.05.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maenad1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
"Only Yesterday" will for always be one of my most loved Ghibli works, it had a certain special understated style and mood that Miyazaki's more dramatic style lacked.

Well said, Saddletank. I think "Only Yesterday" is brilliant in the way it tells Taeko's story and depicts her memories, and it has the best ending of any Ghibli film. Takahata was a master at his craft; I'm sorry his time has ended but I'm glad he shared his talent with us.

Post last edited by Maenad1 on 05.22.2018, 12:37 AM.

05.22.2018, 12:36 AM Maenad1 is offline   Profile for Maenad1 Add Maenad1 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks