QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli Tavern Rankings
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Ghibli Tavern Rankings Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Ghibli Tavern RankingsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Some time ago we had a number of elimination games to see which movie, hero, etc was the most popular among Tavern members. I think it would be fun to do that kind of thing again, and maybe a little more often, in the future.

But before that, I decided it would be interesting to take a look at games and polls and stuff we've done before and make a ranking list, like you'd get with sports teams and stuff. Then it could change as we have more games and people's preferences change.

So I threw together a spreadsheet and gave everything points based on how well they did in various things on the forum. I used HataZaki's original elimination games for movies, heroes, heroines and villains. I also gave points based on the results of the more recent games FlareNetworkC started for movies, heroes and heroines. Then I incorporated the results of some polls and opinion threads from the last few years. I gave extra weight to Flare's movie elimination game as it's the most recent game to get very good participation and features almost all existing Ghibli features. I also made adjustments so that villains, for example, wouldn't impact the scores too much. Finally, I gave points for how many threads directly mention the movie in their title in the last ten pages of Ghibli discussions, points for the movies that feature in MyAnimeList's top 10 (these two aspects allow for the scores to change a little), and some bonus points to make up for some not featuring in older polls.

Some of the results are a bit surprising, and even with my adjustments the most recent films don't rank very highly, but I think in general it does a decent job of showing what is popular and what isn't on the Tavern. I hope we can have more games and polls soon so that I can update the rankings!

11.15.2017, 02:47 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't want to make the first post horribly long so here are the current rankings and points:

1. Laputa: Castle in the Sky (166 points)

2. Whisper of the Heart (158.5 points)

3. Princess Mononoke (156 points)

4. Spirited Away (154 points)

5. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (139 points)

6. Only Yesterday (137 points)

7. Porco Rosso (133.5 points)

8. My Neighbour Totoro (114.5 points)

9. Kiki's Delivery Service (107 points)

10. Ocean Waves (92.5 points)

11. From Up on Poppy Hill (89.5 points)

12. Howl's Moving Castle (86 points)

13. Grave of the Fireflies (80.5 points)

14. The Wind Rises (76.5 points)

15. The Cat Returns (72.5 points)

16. Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (71.5 points)

17. Ponyo (70 points)

18. The Tale of Princess Kaguya (69.5 points)

19. When Marnie Was There (53.5 points)

20. Tales from Earthsea (39 points)

21. Pom Poko (37 points)

22. My Neighbours the Yamadas (36 points)

23. The Secret World of Arrietty (34 points)

If you have any questions about it please ask!

11.15.2017, 03:02 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.16.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is this a simple posting or are we expected to change the rankings to our own likes or dislikes with the unseen movies ranking last but in order of what we would like to see first?

Obviously, the points would only be posted in your first post above until you reposted, at some time in the future, a new set of points.

I will get back later today for your response, but I will be thinking about my listing...

11.15.2017, 04:43 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51 Homepage of husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So my idea is that when we have other games or polls, the results can be added as new factors in the rankings.

For example, some time ago I thought it would be fun to do a game that's like a tournament, with pools and knockout rounds. The results of each contest and the overall standings would then be reflected here.

Of course, if you DO want to compose your own list of favourites, maybe we can make a thread doing that, and when enough people have answered it could be the first new thing that affects the rankings!

Basically I just thought it would be fun to get an idea of what's generally popular, and also encourage more related threads.

11.15.2017, 05:13 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We can give it a shot and see where it goes... These next two days I am almost totally lacking in time due to being a historical commissioner for my County and our quarterly meeting is tomorrow... Last minute rush, rush... Mostly my fault...

Catch ya later...

11.15.2017, 08:46 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51 Homepage of husky51
arren18
Administrator

Alright, enjoy!

One thing that might be a good idea is asking people to put the movies into tiers (like A, B, C, D, E) to get more responses. When I was putting this together I found that the threads asking people to just put everything in order had a lot of only partial answers. If you don't have people perfectly ordering all their preferences, they might find it easier to join in.

11.15.2017, 07:12 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Interesting list. The more recent films perhaps get less favourable results because I think the years ending with Spirited Away or maybe Howl are seen as Ghibli's "classic years" with all their great films produced by then. After that Miyazaki appears to have relied more on either other directors in Ghibli or used non-original source material with a consequent change in content.

Maybe he really should have done a Beatles and retired at the peak of his skill after Spirited Away.

I am not sure the Tavern has enough active members now to conduct another meaningful survey.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.16.2017, 01:28 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I know what you mean about the last point. Then again, even though I did this just for fun at first, I did start thinking that it could be a way to encourage greater activity again. It would be nice if some older members came back for a look!

11.16.2017, 06:34 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I find it SUPER interesting that Laputa is no.1 considering for me it's probably one of the Studio Ghibli films I'm the least interested in and had the least impact on me.

I'm more aware of how popular WotH is with people on the forum, even though once again it isn't a favourite of mine - I find it a bit too twee.

I think poor Pom Poko is a little hard done by and I would certainly rate Ponyo above From Up On Poppy Hill. I mean the fact that From Up On Poppy Hill beats out Grave of the Fireflies and The Cat Returns is also bonkers to me! So funny to see how different everyone's tastes are

11.16.2017, 10:21 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Ain't it wonderfrul that it's all Ghibli??? lol

11.16.2017, 06:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51 Homepage of husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks