QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - new to the site
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » new to the site » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.30.18
  new to the sitePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sunhuntin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

greetings all,

just joined your forum in the hopes of learning more about studio ghibli and their work, and also other studios that produce good anime.

i saw ponyo at a comic con type convention a number of years ago, and fell in love. howls is my top movie, though sometimes it slips to second if one captures my heart for a while.

there was a ghibli film festival last year in new zealand and australia, and i made sure to see howls sub on the big screen, as well as totoro sub on the opening night. had to drive an hour to do it, but so worth it. wish i could have afforded to go to all the movies.

anyway, enough rambling. time to do some reading!

sunhuntin

01.30.2018, 06:00 AM sunhuntin is offline   Profile for sunhuntin Add sunhuntin to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay. Feel free to pull up a comfy armchair and join us in front of the fire. Someone will be around soon with hot chocolate and cake.

There isn't much Ghibli discussion going on at the moment as the studio isn't doing much, but from time to time people discuss the old films and there's usually chat or speculation about the new film being produced.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.30.2018, 07:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome! It's always good to have some new people on board. Feel free to get some conversations going in Ghibli Discussions if you'd like to talk about the films some more.

By the way, other than the specific ones you mentioned, which Ghibli films have you seen?

01.30.2018, 11:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcone to the Tavern, sunhuntin, hoping that you'll enjoy being here. As Saddles said, there isn't a lot going on at the moment, but we keep hoping to hear more about the new movie we've heard about...

Here's the cake and hot chocolate he mentioned, but watch it, they're kinda shifty-eyed, lol

Again, Welcome...

01.30.2018, 12:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
sunhuntin
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.30.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sunhuntin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thanks, all. very shifty refreshments, they almost escaped. think they must be friends of calcifer...

i have seen most of what ghibli has produced, with exception of the really early releases [pre-nausicaa] and the museum shorts, though i did find a beat up dvd of "panda go panda" at a local thrift store.

i still need to watch "ocean waves", but will do that this week i think.

the festival i went to last year, the opening night featured "on your mark" and "ghiblies episode 2". due to a mess up by the cinema, we only saw half of the latter, and searches online havent shown anywhere i can watch the full video.

01.30.2018, 02:53 PM sunhuntin is offline   Profile for sunhuntin Add sunhuntin to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ocean Waves is one of a few I've never got round to myself either.

01.30.2018, 08:58 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I myself consider "Ocean Waves" to be a somewhat mature example of Ghibli film...

01.30.2018, 10:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ocean Waves is, IMHO, extremely good. As Husky says, its a mature film and has a mood of Only Yesterday about it. Its a film involving teenagers with a (school)boy-meets-(school)girl theme but unlike many such stories you'll see as TV shows, this one is quite serious and touches on several adult themes.

Something of a coming-of-age process for all the characters involved.

I highly recommend it. I place it in my top 4 Ghiblis in most of the lists I draw up.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.31.2018, 07:03 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
samipatel
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.24.18
  IntroductionPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by samipatel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello
i'm new user. My name is Sami and working in JNT Cargo which is the best moving companies in Dubai (link removed)

02.24.2018, 04:07 AM samipatel is offline   Profile for samipatel Add samipatel to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome to the Tavern, samipatel Hoping you like and enjoy yourself in the Tavern..

02.24.2018, 05:19 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

No advertising please.

02.24.2018, 11:09 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
4minute
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by 4minute Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi everyone! How are you?

05.08.2018, 08:24 AM 4minute is offline   Profile for 4minute Add 4minute to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, 4minute. Welcome to the Tavern! ^_^

My Anime List

05.08.2018, 09:24 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

a hearty welcome to the Tavern, 4minute. Hoping you'll like it here...

As had been mentioned before, while Ghibli Studio is not producing much anymore, it had slowed the Tavern down for lack of new topics to discuss. We still try to keep it going...

edit: spelling

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.08.2018, 01:26 PM.

05.08.2018, 01:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Welcome 4minute! It's good to see a new face. Please tell us a bit about yourself if you don't mind!

05.09.2018, 05:00 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sunhuntin
greetings all,

just joined your forum in the hopes of learning more about studio ghibli and their work, and also other studios that produce good anime.

i saw ponyo at a comic con type convention a number of years ago, and fell in love. howls is my top movie, though sometimes it slips to second if one captures my heart for a while.

there was a ghibli film festival last year in new zealand and australia, and i made sure to see howls sub on the big screen, as well as totoro sub on the opening night. had to drive an hour to do it, but so worth it. wish i could have afforded to go to all the movies.

anyway, enough rambling. time to do some reading!

sunhuntin

Welcome to the forums.

06.13.2018, 03:27 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks