QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Which movie is this character from?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Which movie is this character from? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.05.18
Which movie is this character from?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oyvach Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bought this keychain at the ghibli museum merch store outside of Tokyo, with this green little kid with a large head sitting coiled up, pouting and looking angry.

I thought it looked really funny, and want to watch the movie that it's from, but can't seem to find it. Tried googling some different stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions?

04.05.2018, 09:42 AM oyvach is offline   Profile for oyvach Add oyvach to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can't think of anything immediately... Could you post a picture of the keychain?

My Anime List

04.05.2018, 09:45 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
oyvach
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oyvach Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Couldn't figure out how to post pic in thread, but here's a link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoiZU1uc-kv3gYMT_2A9LQwa-2w2mQ

04.05.2018, 09:51 AM oyvach is offline   Profile for oyvach Add oyvach to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It looks familiar but I can't place it...

It's a long shot, but I'm wondering if it's meant to be a combination of the green heads and the baby from Spirited Away:

It'd be a rather weird thing to make, but the resemblance is definitely there.

My Anime List

04.05.2018, 11:08 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
oyvach
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oyvach Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree there's a resemblance, hmm, but it's kinda unsatisfactory.. There also was this kind of figures sitting on top of piles of books around in the office space of the ghibli museum. I think it should at least be some story behind them, or perhaps it's just some internal joke for the animators, haha

04.05.2018, 01:20 PM oyvach is offline   Profile for oyvach Add oyvach to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I wonder if he's from one of the films only shown at the museum... Maybe.

I'm afraid that was the only idea I had, sorry I couldn't be more help!

My Anime List

04.05.2018, 01:32 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern Oyvach.
I'm not getting any feedback to the link, nor any other way that I've tried, and I was thinking of the same scene from "Spirited Away" where the three heads transition into the baby, but no way they could be coiling???

I just don't recognize the character from the description alone...

If you could figure a way to post a picture or drawing maybe, but until then, again, Welcome.

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.05.2018, 02:23 PM.

04.05.2018, 02:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Try this link, Husky. Y'know I actually forgot that the heads turn into the baby at some point in the film. Makes my idea a little more likely but it's still strange, especially since Oyvach mentioned seeing a few of these things about.

My Anime List

04.05.2018, 02:45 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
oyvach
Susuwatari

Oh, sorry, just part of the link got hypertexted.
Here is the complete thing: link

I guess that about the heads in spirited away could be an explanation, or about an exclusive museum movie.

At least now I might know the story behind my keychain, which is nice. Thanks for the help, guys!

04.05.2018, 04:33 PM oyvach is offline   Profile for oyvach Add oyvach to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you, oyvach...

OK, I would have to say that it is nothing from any of the Ghibli Studios movies that I can remember ever seeing,,, There were a number of shorts that were shown ONLY at the museum and also a number of other films and TV shows that it may have been a part of.

04.05.2018, 05:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Honestly it might just be a low quality bootleg, they always make things look wrong.
Although, if you bought it from an actual Ghibli store this is surely not the case.

04.05.2018, 05:35 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I seem to remember there was stuff in the museum that wasn't from anything, like they were things that belong in the creators' offices. So it might be something like that, rather than characters from a movie.

04.06.2018, 05:42 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
oyvach
Susuwatari

That's probably it then. Thanks for the help guys!
Without you I'd be endlessly roaming the internet for some movie that doesn't exist

04.06.2018, 06:34 AM oyvach is offline   Profile for oyvach Add oyvach to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It was a few years ago that I went to the Ghibli Museum so I'm not totally sure that's what it is, but it's a possible explanation at least.

04.06.2018, 07:03 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks