QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Totoro and "Whisper" dubs... what did you think?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Totoro and "Whisper" dubs... what did you think? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.11.05
  Totoro and "Whisper" dubs... what did you think?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dpisacane Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm just curious what everyone thought of the dubs of My Neighbor Totoro and Whisper of the Heart that played (for the first time ever) on Turner Classic Movies on Thursday. Personally, I thought the Totoro dub was a disaster. It was many steps down from the previous 20th Century Fox dub. The kids were WAY too screamy, and the way that they pronounced the word "totoro" throughout the film nearly made my ears bleed. (They pronounced it with a soft 't'). I commented to a friend afterwards that it was the only English -language Ghibli release that I am likely to always watch in Japanese. However, on a more positive note, I found the Whisper of the Heart dub to be very good. All performances were understated and conveyed the nuance that the story required. I'm wondering what everyone else thought.

I look forward to your responses,

Damion Pisacane

01.21.2006, 12:05 PM dpisacane is offline   Profile for dpisacane Add dpisacane to your buddy list
Johny
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.19.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Johny Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

**slight spoiler**

I'm curious how they did the translating of Country Road

01.22.2006, 04:28 AM Johny is offline   Profile for Johny Add Johny to your buddy list
dpisacane
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dpisacane Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What they did was have Shizuku writing new lyrics to the song (rather than translating them.) I was wondering that myself when I was watching it. But I think they did a pretty good job with it. Would have been neat if she was translating the song into French or something though.

01.23.2006, 01:04 PM dpisacane is offline   Profile for dpisacane Add dpisacane to your buddy list
Haru
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.19.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Haru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I also like the old Fox dub better than the new Disney one. I liked the way the songs were sung in the original dub over the new one as well(the beginning and ending songs). And even though it's a niggling detail, I liked the way Totoro sounded in the Fox dub/Japanese version over the new Disney one (even though Frank Welker is a living legend in voice acting).

I was very surprised at how good the dub of Whisper of the Heart was. The Japanese version is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I thought surely it would be one Ghibli work that would be hard to dub.

I loved it, and IMO i'm beginning to like it over the original version. I do think they took some liberties in how they translated some things (making them use words like "corny", "shut up", etc.), and it took away some of the timeless grace of the dialogue.

Also, the voice actor for Shizuku (Brittany Snow) had a better singing voice than Yuko Honna (no disrespect for Yuko though; I've always found her singing in the original very charming).

01.23.2006, 04:18 PM Haru is offline   Profile for Haru Add Haru to your buddy list
Miya
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never really liked anime's dubbed, I always watch it with english subtitles. Like you showed, they don't get it quite right (like with the children pronouncing totoro wrong)

01.28.2006, 10:16 PM Miya is offline   Profile for Miya Add Miya to your buddy list Send an Email to Miya
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's according to preference really, sometimes you just like dubs and sometimes you just prefer subs. They're usually pretty much equal. You'd be surprised how horrible some japanese voices are (watch hack//Dusk) and how good some dubs are (Cardcaptor Sakura).

Anyway, I hope I can rent the english dub of Whisper. It's my personal fav, so looking forward to hearing the dub.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.30.2006, 01:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Heh... the TCM channel here has never showed any Ghibli movie, while the Cartoon Network has never shown any anime. I really envy you guys . So far I cannot find any rental store with the US Ghibli releases available. The only Ghibli movie that I have seen in English is Kiki, and that's only because the English track is included in the R2JP DVD.

As for the immortal sub vs dub debate, I personally treat a movie with a local dub an original piece of work separated from the subbed version. You can like either of them, like all of them or hate both of them. In any case they are not mutually exclusive. If one prefers the original version, just stick to the sub, or even better, learn Japanese. The sub translations can be horrible and unliteral at times.

My love of the original Japanese Kiki didn't really impede my enjoyment of the local dub, which blatantly turned it into a slapstick comedy. I laughed so hard that I almost fell off my chair. Purists may shout "blasphemy," but I just treated it as a parody and do not hesitate to admit that the viewing experience was very entertaining.

01.31.2006, 04:00 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Miya
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never seen a studio ghibli film on tv but i guess i just have the normal channels and nothing extra.

02.02.2006, 09:14 PM Miya is offline   Profile for Miya Add Miya to your buddy list Send an Email to Miya
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't get to see Totoro at all, but I loved Whisper of the Heart.

02.07.2006, 09:07 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks