QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Fruits Basket
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Fruits Basket » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  ]
fizzy
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.04.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fizzy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

While I am a fan of FB, I can definitely understand where Saddletank is coming from. The anime series does feel disjointed and incoherent at times, the first 20 or so episodes are concerned with just meeting members of the zodiac. However, I also acknowledge that the manga was still in production during the anime's run so it wasn't at all possible to have a decent ending anyway.

Now, having read the entire manga, I can say that I am disappointed with this series- enough to say that I prefer the anime. The anime wraps up volume 6 and the manga comprises of 23 volumes, but the pacing is horrible. So much is crammed into the last few volumes that the series loses it's slice of life charm. Kyo's "monster" plays hardly any role after volume 6, Ritsu and Aya are filler characters (in fact Ritsu's introduction is basically his only major appearance) and the creation of the student council was unnessesary. The explanation of the origins of the curse was a let down too.

Regardless, I still consider myself a mild fan of the series and enjoyed it thoroughly during the manga's run. There are parts I did enjoy (the beach house, Rin's confinement); I recall avidly awaiting for each new chapter release. I guess it is only when you've finished the series and look back at it as a whole do you see it's flaws.

11.07.2007, 06:38 PM fizzy is offline   Profile for fizzy Add fizzy to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ignore, sorry

Post last edited by Saddletank on 11.08.2007, 12:17 PM.

11.08.2007, 11:55 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

See the thing that Tohru's holding in this picture? Can anyone tell what it is? I think it's a seahorse but I'm not sure and it's been bugging me for ages.

11.22.2007, 04:23 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A vole? A mole? A rat?

Either way I can't see a sea horse in there i'll be honest...

11.22.2007, 08:09 PM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first thing I though of was Yuki in animal form...but he's standing beside her so I don't know how that works.

11.22.2007, 08:13 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah the head does look (a little bit) rodent-ish, but the tail doesn't look right for an animal like that. It's kind of bumpy like a seahorse's would be. Any other opinions on this thing?

11.23.2007, 12:42 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What tail? I don't see one there

11.23.2007, 07:40 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nope, I see no tail. There's something or other that looks like it could be an umbilical cord.

Maybe it's a possum fetus?

11.23.2007, 07:43 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If its facing Tohru and looking to it's right that thing on its shoulder looks like a chicks wing.

I think we need a bigger image.

Or a caption competition.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.23.2007, 08:05 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

It could be writing...don't ask what...I haven't a clue.

11.23.2007, 08:44 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well, whatever it is, yuki and tohru both look pretty pleased to see it.

It's a mammal I think.

11.24.2007, 12:45 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Was wondering is this fanart or a manga cover. Tohru could be shocked, that expression could go either way.

We're all agreed it's not Yuki in rat form... and certainly doesn't look like a seahorse. Other than that I think we're stumped.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.24.2007, 05:19 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It's not a fanart it's an official piece of the manga artwork. The tail I was talking about which... for some reason... no-one else seems to see... is... well, it's kind of curled in front of it.

Two other things I noticed which may or may not help (probably the latter) is that the thing seems to have a little red thing on it's head, and it seems to having writing on it's side/back.

And sorry Saddles, I'm pretty sure this is the largest size this image will come in.

This is quite a mystery we have here eh folks?

11.24.2007, 06:09 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It kind of looks like there's a kanji and some brackets written on it.

Which manga volume is it from?

11.24.2007, 09:10 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
fizzy
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.04.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fizzy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Which manga volume is it from?

Volume 5, inside cover art. It's a rather early piece of work as her art style changes drastically throughout the series.

11.24.2007, 10:53 PM fizzy is offline   Profile for fizzy Add fizzy to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I've copied the image and enlarged it and I still see no tail. There is just a part of the animal low down in front of the head with some lighter spots on. They could be feet, they could be bumps on its stomach, there is just nothing there at all. The mark on the back does look like a kanji character though doesn't it?

11.25.2007, 04:31 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The mark on the back does look like a kanji character though doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Any kanji experts around here? Maybe it would help if we knew what it said.

11.25.2007, 07:53 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks