QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Gedo Senki trailer?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Gedo Senki trailer? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
biker_brat
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.05.05
  Gedo Senki trailer?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by biker_brat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For some reason, the catsuka.com trailer won't load on my computer and neither will the torrent file so does anyone know where else I can view the trailer for Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea). Thanks.

Post last edited by biker_brat on 02.26.2006, 09:52 PM.

02.26.2006, 09:51 PM biker_brat is offline   Profile for biker_brat Add biker_brat to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=E8Yx6_bEr-8

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

02.26.2006, 11:11 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
biker_brat
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.05.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by biker_brat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you so much! What a trailer! It's like 5 minutes long! I wouldn't really say that the film's style appears to be very similar to Hayao Miyazaki's. It looks much darker I think.

Post last edited by biker_brat on 02.27.2006, 07:48 PM.

02.27.2006, 07:43 PM biker_brat is offline   Profile for biker_brat Add biker_brat to your buddy list
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thanks for the reminder
*posts the trailer on site news*

03.01.2006, 02:07 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
The Violin Maker
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by The Violin Maker Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Does it disturb anyone else that the trailer shows no boats and no sailing, two prominent and important features in Ursula K. Leguin's Earthsea series? Ged and Arren are supposed to sail from place to place, not walk from place to place. I mean, sure, moviemakers can take creative license, but c'mon...it's earth"sea"- the setting is a bunch of islands where people do lots of sailing. Can it be that they haven't started animating the sailing scenes?

03.01.2006, 06:17 PM The Violin Maker is offline   Profile for The Violin Maker Add The Violin Maker to your buddy list AIM Screenname: Auden Twilight
Megu
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Megu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by The Violin Maker
Does it disturb anyone else that the trailer shows no boats and no sailing, two prominent and important features in Ursula K. Leguin's Earthsea series? Ged and Arren are supposed to sail from place to place, not walk from place to place. I mean, sure, moviemakers can take creative license, but c'mon...it's earth"sea"- the setting is a bunch of islands where people do lots of sailing. Can it be that they haven't started animating the sailing scenes?

You should read director Goro Miyazaki's blog.
He mentioned about it on his blog.
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/earthsea/blog/blog13.html

03.02.2006, 05:09 AM Megu is offline   Profile for Megu Add Megu to your buddy list
project2501
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.16.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by project2501 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

nice trailer, I never heard about Tales from Earthsea befor but I think it is an interesting story.
Can anybody tell me something about it??

^_-

03.02.2006, 12:08 PM project2501 is offline   Profile for project2501 Add project2501 to your buddy list Send an Email to project2501 Add project2501 to your contact list
The Violin Maker
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by The Violin Maker Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks, Megu, that helps a bit, but I still want Arren and Ged voyaging on a ship. That scene where Arren has a shackle around his neck is when he gets captured by slave runners and is made to row a boat. Ged saves him during the night, appearing as a brilliant white figure, thus the light Arren sees in the trailer coming through the bars on the slave wagon. But it's supposed to be a boat. It's all supposed to be boats and water. I hope Goro knows what he's doing.

2501, Tales from Earthsea is the the name of the fifth book in a series of six books in Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea Cycle. LeGuin is a highly renowed American sci-fi fantasy writer. Tales From Earthsea isn't truely a book in the series, because it is a collection of...six? short stories that take place in Earthsea. One of these stories is a prequel to the sixth and latest book in the series, The Other Wind. The first three books are A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, and The Farthest Shore. They tell the story of a brash young wizard who eventually becomes the Archmage of all Earthsea, but sacrifices all his power in the the third book to heal the world. Goro Miyazaki is mainly taking the movie's plot from this third book. He has also incorporated a vital character from the fourth book of the series, Tehanu:The Last Book of Earthsea, a young girl named Tehanu. Other than that, you should read the books as they are quite possibly the best examples of storytelling out there.

03.02.2006, 06:57 PM The Violin Maker is offline   Profile for The Violin Maker Add The Violin Maker to your buddy list AIM Screenname: Auden Twilight
project2501
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.16.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by project2501 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thank you tVM

I will look for the books soon.
I think this is a great fantasy story, and I love fantasy.

03.02.2006, 10:28 PM project2501 is offline   Profile for project2501 Add project2501 to your buddy list Send an Email to project2501 Add project2501 to your contact list
Earthsea
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.03.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Earthsea Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ahhh! the trailer is so good, but you have a point, all you see is them walking around, hopefully in the film they end up on A ship!

03.03.2006, 11:29 PM Earthsea is offline   Profile for Earthsea Add Earthsea to your buddy list
The Violin Maker
Kodama

Yeah! This is Earthsea, and I think LeGuin would be pissed if there was no sea or sailing in this movie. SciFi Channel already completely f***** up her books, so letting someone else do another adoptation represents a huge contract of trust. I hope Goro has what it takes!

Post last edited by The Violin Maker on 03.04.2006, 02:35 AM.

03.04.2006, 02:34 AM The Violin Maker is offline   Profile for The Violin Maker Add The Violin Maker to your buddy list AIM Screenname: Auden Twilight
Earthsea
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.03.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Earthsea Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by The Violin Maker
Yeah! This is Earthsea, and I think LeGuin would be pissed if there was no sea or sailing in this movie. SciFi Channel already completely f***** up her books, so letting someone else do another adoptation represents a huge contract of trust. I hope Goro has what it takes!

Yes me too! But besides the ship thing the film looks soooo damn kool!

03.05.2006, 01:50 AM Earthsea is offline   Profile for Earthsea Add Earthsea to your buddy list
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

.So...........those kids are slaves?

That's disturbing.

03.06.2006, 05:25 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
The Violin Maker
Kodama

In the book they're not kids, as I recall. Arren is a teenager. But yeah, LeGuin takes on some tough subjects. The burned girl, Tehanu, is really badly burnt in the books, in fact the whole left side of her body is burnt, her left hand is "melted" together, and her face is really scarred. Her mother was no-good, and her father was one of several trashy, theiving transients. The mother fell in with them, and when Tehanu was six or so, some of these villainous men seized, raped, and threw her into a campfire. She barely survives, and while in the fire she breathes some in. Why this happens is pretty cool, and it gets explained, somewhat, at the end of the book Tehanu. The Other Wind is the book that Goro really gets his theme, "This summer, Man and Dragon will be One." That book rocks.

03.06.2006, 10:43 PM The Violin Maker is offline   Profile for The Violin Maker Add The Violin Maker to your buddy list AIM Screenname: Auden Twilight
Gavilan
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.07.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Gavilan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi! My name is Tonatiuh Moreno and I'm new here.

You can see a shorter version of the trailer here:
http://amibasubversiva.blogspot.com/2006...el-trailer.html

I am a bit worried and nervous too: the images in the trailer look beautiful, but it doesn't match my image of Earthsea. In the end I thing I may like the film but feel disappointed for not seeing the story I know.

The issue of the face of Therru disturbs me a bit. In the book, she is supposed to be really disfigured, to the point of being frightening or disgusting.

Is it really impossible for the japanese (and to filmmakers in general) to make an "ugly" heroine?

One thing I liked of the third book was the people who lived in the ocean: an entire village floating in open sea. I hope Goro does not take that away!

03.07.2006, 12:58 PM Gavilan is offline   Profile for Gavilan Add Gavilan to your buddy list Homepage of Gavilan
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gavilan
Hi! My name is Tonatiuh Moreno and I'm new here.

You can see a shorter version of the trailer here:
http://amibasubversiva.blogspot.com/2006...el-trailer.html

I am a bit worried and nervous too: the images in the trailer look beautiful, but it doesn't match my image of Earthsea. In the end I thing I may like the film but feel disappointed for not seeing the story I know.

The issue of the face of Therru disturbs me a bit. In the book, she is supposed to be really disfigured, to the point of being frightening or disgusting.

Is it really impossible for the japanese (and to filmmakers in general) to make an "ugly" heroine?

One thing I liked of the third book was the people who lived in the ocean: an entire village floating in open sea. I hope Goro does not take that away!

Welcome to the board Gavilan, its nice to hear some more input from someone that has read the Earthsea books.

From Goro's blog, it seems he has read the first few books very closely and draws out some very interesting analysis on the texts. The likelihood is that the movies script will reflect this deep interpretation, giving it greater depth, but perhaps alienating some fans of the book that have developed different perspectives on the stories.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

03.07.2006, 04:42 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
The Violin Maker
Kodama

Gavilan, I'm right there with ya, buddy. It would be an absolute shame to take out that raft village. He had also better not take out Arren and Ged's journey to the land of the dead and over the mountain called Pain to get back to the land of the living. Oh, and the rock from Pain that falls in Arren's pocket! And the flight back to Havnor on the back of the dragon...Kesselin? God, I love The Farthest Shore! Tehanu is my favorite, though, followed closely by The Other Wind.

03.07.2006, 05:54 PM The Violin Maker is offline   Profile for The Violin Maker Add The Violin Maker to your buddy list AIM Screenname: Auden Twilight
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Considering that both Kiki and Howl, both based on novels, came out fairly different as well, it's not that big a surprise to see major changes in this one either.

Besides, it wouldn't be fun to know everything that's gonna happen anyway.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.07.2006, 11:58 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
artificial sky
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by artificial sky Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The youtube one is the 3 minute trailer. The 5 minute one has random people talking in Japanese replay parts of the trailer and talking over it. There is a shot of a news artical about the movie, a shot of all the voice actors' photos and they randomly close up on the movie poster. XD

Nausicaa.net has the translation for the trailer in case anyone didn't know. The trailer was calming... and yeah...

Goro as a director... how weird. This is his first project and they made him director. Mostly, you have to be a key animator or something before becoming a director. Has Goro ever animated anything. I have no knowledge of this. We know he can draw still things, plan ahead and think out complicated problems because of his past work experience... but animation? I hope he has more experience than I think in this part. Because knowledge of animation is vital. How unfair... just because he is Miyazaki's son. I hope he proves to be worthy. >>;

Miyazaki is know for many things but the thing that most animators praise him for is his realistic approach to characters. His characters have a lot of life and movement depite their simple design. Their expressions are well thought out and their behavior in taken into a lot of account. For example, that Pixar guy (the ALWAYS introducing Miyazaki's films to the point where it's annoy) mentions the way Chihiro put's on her shoe. He said, exactly like a 10 year old would put it on. Checking to see if it's confortable. And Miyazaki himself mention that he had to redraw several cells (was it 2,000 or something) because their expression weren't done correctly. o__o;; And there is one scene in Laputa where the back ground (I mean all of it) was animated for like 10 seconds. Apparently, no one ever does that with cell shaded animation. Things like that... I don't think we will see. From what I can tell, we shall see a lot of detailed landscapes and dramatic use of lighting but I don't know about the other things. From the trailer, his character lack expression and looked kind of bored :/ or just jaded. X/

I are new'd two!!11one!11one!! Welcome me, plz? x3

Post last edited by artificial sky on 03.08.2006, 05:16 AM.

03.08.2006, 03:57 AM artificial sky is offline   Profile for artificial sky Add artificial sky to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by artificial sky
Goro as a director... how weird. This is his first project and they made him director. Mostly, you have to be a key animator or something before becoming a director. Has Goro ever animated anything. I have no knowledge of this. We know he can draw still things, plan ahead and think out complicated problems because of his past work experience... but animation? I hope he has more experience than I think in this part. Because knowledge of animation is vital. How unfair... just because he is Miyazaki's son. I hope he proves to be worthy. >>;

Miyazaki is know for many things but the thing that most animators praise him for is his realistic approach to characters. His characters have a lot of life and movement depite their simple design. Their expressions are well thought out and their behavior in taken into a lot of account. For example, that Pixar guy (the ALWAYS introducing Miyazaki's films to the point where it's annoy) mentions the way Chihiro put's on her shoe. He said, exactly like a 10 year old would put it on. Checking to see if it's confortable. And Miyazaki himself mention that he had to redraw several cells (was it 2,000 or something) because their expression weren't done correctly. o__o;; And there is one scene in Laputa where the back ground (I mean all of it) was animated for like 10 seconds. Apparently, no one ever does that with cell shaded animation. Things like that... I don't think we will see. From what I can tell, we shall see a lot of detailed landscapes and dramatic use of lighting but I don't know about the other things. From the trailer, his character lack expression and looked kind of bored :/ or just jaded. X/

I are new'd two!!11one!11one!! Welcome me, plz? x3

Haha, welcome to the boards artificial sky!

You're right, Goro has had no previous experience in making actual animated features. He does, however, seem to possess many of the key qualities required for directing. As he states in his blog, working as the head of the Ghibli Museum and more specifically in construction, he has developed the necessary leadership skills required for directing -particularly decision-making and dealing with the consequences they produce.

I actually thought the character expressions were very 'Miyazakish' and well selected for the music, which is smooth and calm -making dramaticism a little akward. Also, lets not forget that Goro is surrounded by a very talented and experienced Ghibli team, which seem to always be overshadowed by a prominent Miyazaki or Takahata figure.

For now, I'm quitely confident and have faith in President Suzuki Toshio's decision. Although he knows Goro and likes him, his choice was ultimately swayed by the quality of his storyboards -which he compared with many of the top figures in Ghibli (including Miyazaki himself).

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

Post last edited by E_Hakki on 03.08.2006, 06:19 PM.

03.08.2006, 06:18 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks