QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - howl's moving castle questions
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » howl's moving castle questions » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.26.06
howl's moving castle questionsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oddiess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi hi, i am new to thr forum, because i have some questions i really need answering. I just finished watching Howl's Moving Castle with original JP sound and english subtitles. (JP DVD)
for some reason, while I loved the movie, there were quite a few things i needed clearing up. plz help me out if you know the answer to them.
1. Who were the people Howl was fighting with in the "black room"? was it Suliman?

3.why was Suliman attacking Howl? and why was she hunting for him constantly?

2. what was the purpose of the war? why did Howl transform to the bird like creature everytime he attacks the ships? was he under a spell by the Suliman? or was his transformation due to Calcifer?

3. On their way to "rescue" Howl, why did Sophie move everyone out of the castle, and have the castle completely destroyed then move back in and then command Calcifer to go to Howl?

4.why did Sophie say "i didnt know you were waiting all this time for me" at the end when she came out of the chamber that led to Howl's past?

5. why did the Prince of Next say he could stop the war? why did Suliman decide to stop the war at the end?

6. why did Sophi look younger and older at different times?

7. did Howl like Sophie in the beginning or over time?

thanx a lot everyone!

02.26.2006, 11:28 PM oddiess is offline   Profile for oddiess Add oddiess to your buddy list
Gorgy
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.13.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Gorgy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well, first things first... hello and welcome

now to the answers

1. They were soldiers from the enemy kingdom which was at war with "sophie's kingdom".

(3). Suliman is angry with howl because he left her.(remember that howl was her apprentice)

(2). the purpose of the war is unknown(or at least i didn't get it) because the movie starts while the kingdoms are at war.
His transformation is his power, he can turn into a birdlike monster to attack his enemies.

3.I find that also very silly but i think that sophie didn't knew that if calcifer left the castle it would fall appart, and she left the castle presumably to go and help howl come home.

those i can answer, for the others i cant find any reasonable explanation xD

by mpw3d

Post last edited by Gorgy on 02.27.2006, 01:28 AM.

02.27.2006, 01:28 AM Gorgy is offline   Profile for Gorgy Add Gorgy to your buddy list
artificial sky
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by artificial sky Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

4.why did Sophie say "i didnt know you were waiting all this time for me" at the end when she came out of the chamber that led to Howl's past?

5. why did the Prince of Next say he could stop the war? why did Suliman decide to stop the war at the end?

thanx a lot everyone!

4. I thought the portal was a time chamber instead of a door to Howl's memories. Because she yell out to them and they turned to her, therefore acknowledging her presence and my theory. So, Howl knew and meet Sophie long before Sophie meet Howl and Calcifer.

5. In the begining, the mention that the prince disappeared or something. I think it was these people reading the paper when Sophie was visiting her sister or something likek that. The prince's disappearance cause the war. This is more obvious in the book than in the movie.

6. Sophie in the book stays old through the entire book except for the few last pages or the last page. But Miyazaki expressed concern for having the female protaganist as a old lady for to long. He worried about the audience probably not wanting to watch an old lady on screen for 90-80 minutes... that is why he decided to have her pre-transform. But he did it in a way that made sense, at least to me. The first time is when Howl look at her when she was sleepy so the viewer can acknowledge that Howl knew that it's her, the young woman he met, the whole time. The second was in a dream sequence so that worked out. The third was when she was talking to Soloman and that was to acknowledge that the spell was weaking and her will power or feelings for Howl was breaking it slowly. As Howl was showing her around the grass area, she turn young again because she was happy but turned old when she doubted Howl's loyalty and intentions. Because she felt old I think that is why she turned old. Then finally, when they were caught and Howl had to distract the baddies she transform young again in order adapt to the situation and that was also after Howl decided to protect them because now he "has something to protect."

In the book, the reason why Sophie was still an old woman because she thought of herself as one. (In the book, she discovered she had powers and her walkingn stick was her wand.) The spell was broken before...

7. I think Howl liked Sophie from the begining. The ever so selfish Howl did go out of his way to save her and let her stay in his house and give her **** (her old home and presents in boxes that she never open because it was just in the background).
In the book, the liking was since he met her and she sort of refused him without meaning to. xD

Post last edited by artificial sky on 03.08.2006, 04:25 AM.

03.08.2006, 04:21 AM artificial sky is offline   Profile for artificial sky Add artificial sky to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

4) When sophie sees howl catching calcipher, she has gone back in time to when it happened. therefore, howl really did see sophie when he was a little boy, and ergo, had been waiting until he was an adult for this mysterious girl to come to him.

5) I think this is because Sophie was, in essence, an unattractive girl at the beginning of the movie...as she begins to love and be loved, the spell wears off now and again, to show who she truly is.

05.14.2006, 12:05 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
lindseybermudez
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.07.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by lindseybermudez Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

for #3 the king of the other kingdom was upset because his brother in the book, and i think his son in the movie disapered.

♥Boricua Anime Freak 4 Life♥

06.07.2006, 12:03 PM lindseybermudez is offline   Profile for lindseybermudez Add lindseybermudez to your buddy list Send an Email to lindseybermudez Homepage of lindseybermudez YIM Screenname: lindseybermudez@yahoo.com
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In answer to number 7, I don't think Howl loved Sophie at first! We know he always 'went for beauties', and the first time he saw Sophie, she was an old woman.
I think he loved her first when he looked at her while she was sleeping, and she looked young again. He must have recognised her from his childhood, and that's when his feelings for her began...he'd probably always been in love with the mysterious young girl who appeared to him as a child, and then vanished. We know he had no real family (going to his Uncle's cabin alone), so the apparition of Sophie, "I didnt know you were waiting all this time for me. Wait for me" was definately something he would have kept with him, in his heart.

06.08.2006, 06:16 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Interesting SpiritedSen... I think Howl never actualy loved anyone before, so falling in love would have been a new experience for him...

I think he recognised that Sophie would play a big part in future events when he first met her in the streets. After all, he had been waiting for her, and knew she was coming. I also think that he knew old Sophie was young Sophie. When she turned young during her sleep, the love Howl felt for her was at one of its strongest points, so was eroding away at the spell quite heavily. At other points, the spell was stronger than his love, and she appeared old. Whenever they were happy with each other, and their love was strong, then the spell began to be overpowered...

Anyway, that's what I love about Studio Ghibli - there's so much to question and form opinions on!

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.09.2006, 12:03 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Oops, I forgot about them meeting at the beginning! *blushes with embarrasment*
With that newly refreshed in my memory, I think he recognised her when he helped her at the beginning, but I don't think he knew old Sophie was young Sophie until he saw her sleeping! I think the spell wore off because she loved Howl, not the other way round. But as you so rightly said Phyrra

quote:
that's what I love about Studio Ghibli - there's so much to question and form opinions on!

06.09.2006, 01:01 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
arren
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.11.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by oddiess

3. On their way to "rescue" Howl, why did Sophie move everyone out of the castle, and have the castle completely destroyed then move back in and then command Calcifer to go to Howl?

If she didn't move the castle it would still be conected to the shop in town, and howl would keep protecting it. Once she destroyed the castle the door didn't lead there anymore so they were safe. Then she had to make sure that Howl knew, so they went after him.

With these movies you kind of need to watch them more than once.

one day I tried to explain Spirited Away to Tess (who doesn't watch anime)...

Tess: but see that's just weird! I mean what would you think if your boyfriend suddenly turned into a dragon?

Me: (short pause) THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!

06.11.2006, 06:43 PM arren is offline   Profile for arren Add arren to your buddy list
Calcifer
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.18.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calcifer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by oddiess
Hi hi, i am new to thr forum, because i have some questions i really need answering. I just finished watching Howl's Moving Castle with original JP sound and english subtitles. (JP DVD)
for some reason, while I loved the movie, there were quite a few things i needed clearing up. plz help me out if you know the answer to them.
1. Who were the people Howl was fighting with in the "black room"? was it Suliman?

3.why was Suliman attacking Howl? and why was she hunting for him constantly?

2. what was the purpose of the war? why did Howl transform to the bird like creature everytime he attacks the ships? was he under a spell by the Suliman? or was his transformation due to Calcifer?

thanx a lot everyone!

2- She was after him because his heart was stolen and it could be dangerous because without that heart he would have little or no concience, possibly making him reveal secrets.
3-She didn't think that she would need to go back, also, she wasn't sure if the castle would colapse or not.
6-Because the curse depends on her mood. When she feels down, she turns ugly, but when her mood picks up, like when she lost herself talking about Howl, she turns back into her normal age.
7-It was over time, it could be confusing because he was strangely nice to her, but that could be because the rumours set him up to be a kind of monster. But he could tell that she was special from the begining, like when Calcifer listened to her when he usualy only listens to howl.

06.20.2006, 03:08 PM Calcifer is offline   Profile for Calcifer Add Calcifer to your buddy list Send an Email to Calcifer
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks