QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Dragged back to beg again (jpn-text incl) [more questions on Shiawase]
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Dragged back to beg again (jpn-text incl) [more questions on Shiawase] Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Dragged back to beg again (japanese-text included)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is really pathetic for me to come crawling like this, but no choice. J-txt in Unicode. For next week's release:

p114:
Hai, oshimai. To iu wake de, deeto no houkokku wo kanete manpukudou wa Takayuki no ogori ne.

-The "manpukudou" screwed me up. My guess for the 2nd sentence would be, "Which means Takayuki's punishment would be to give a full blow of his date to a full hall." But the grammer doesn't allow for this, so I'm stuck.

p116:
Hana: Tsuge-san te donna hito?
Kikyou: Na- nani yo, yabu kara bou ni-

-The entire second part is alien to me. Yabu doesn't come up in my dictionary, so the whole phrase doesn't make sense at all.

p119:
Omaera, ii kagen hito no neta de asobu no wa yamero!

- "Hito was written as 地人, and "neta" in katakana. My take was, "Stop messing around with me when I'm trying to sleep already!"

-----

P116 needs the whole dialogue to be typed down:

-----

Also on the free talk on p115. While "nearly" complete, it still can't be released. It's kinda tiring to type everything in romaji, so I'll just cut and paste the original with my trans:

Free Talk No1

6年前、「耳をすませば」を描いていた頃、「魔女の宅 急便」が公開されていました。昔から宮崎駿さまの大フ ァンだった私は、児童文学が原作となっているのを見て 、「そのうち漫画を原作にしてくれないかなあ」... などと調子のいい事を思っておりました。(でも宮崎さ んが少女漫画になんか目を向けるハズないし、もし向け たとしても、私なんかに声がかかる訳ない事は自覚して いました)ところが数年後、突然担当様が「ジブリの宮 崎さんが「耳をすませば」を映画化したいって話が来て るんだけど...」と電話をかけてくれるじゃありませ んか。当然私は「そんな事ある訳ないじゃん!」と思っ て「冗談でしょ」と言ってしまい「こんな事で冗談言っ てどーすんですか!?」と怒られてしまいました。(当 たり前だ(汗マーク))

その後スタジオジブリにお邪魔して宮崎さんにお会いし ても、やっぱり信じられなくて(ミーハーな私は「わー 本物だあ!すごーい!」とトトロのサインをもらって舞 い上がってました(汗マーク))特報のビデオをもらっ て自分の名前が入っているのを見ても、まだ実感が湧き ませんでした。(「すごーい!名前が出てるー!」など と大バカな事を思って見てましたが、なんだか知らない 人の名前みたいでした)ただひとつだけ実感したのは゛ ああ漫画描いてて良かったあぁぁぁぁーっ゛って事です 。この上なく素晴らしい映画が完成した現在、宮崎、近 藤氏初めスタッフの皆々様に感謝の言葉もありません。 一生分の運を使い果たした気がします。

6 years ago, when I wrote "Mimi wo Sumaseba", they were showing "Majo no Takkyuubin" in the cinemas. As a big fan of Miyazaki Hayao-sama for a long time, seeing a children's literature turned into an original work, I thought, "I wonder if he'll make a one from manga..." (But Miyazaki-san wouldn't usually look up Shoujo Manga, and even if whe does, I realize that he won't call me up). However, several years later, I got a surprise call from Tantou-san. "I heard that Miyazaki-san from Studio Ghibli wants to make a movie from Mimi wo Sumaseba, so..." That can't possibly happen, I thought, and said angrily, "it's a joke, isnt it? Stop joking like that, okay?!" (Obviously {sweatdrop})

Even after Studio Ghibli approached me and I met up with Miyazaki-san, I still couldn't believe it. (I was all "Waa, the real deal! Incredible!" and I got woozy when I got a Totoro signature {sweatdrop}) Even when I got the Special Report video and saw my name on it, reality still hasn't go to me yet. ("Incredible! That's my name!" was what went through crazily through my mind, but somehow it was like seeing a name I didn't know.) The only thing that hit me was "Ah, it's a good thing I took to drawing manga..." Now that this wonderful movie is completed, I have no words of appreciation worthy to give to Miyazaki and the staff. It feels like a lifetime of luck has been used.

-----

There's also a problem with p118, but not so much the translation as the context, which was the main problem.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 04.09.2006, 10:17 PM.

04.09.2006, 10:14 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh thanks a lot for your time and effort spent on the translations. Please don't feel bad about asking questions. As we are not native speakers of Japanese, we are pretty much doomed to be confused by all kinds of obscure expressions and cultural implications.

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
p114:
Hai, oshimai. To iu wake de, deeto no houkokku wo kanete manpukudou wa Takayuki no ogori ne.

-The "manpukudou" screwed me up. My guess for the 2nd sentence would be, "Which means Takayuki's punishment would be to give a full blow of his date to a full hall." But the grammer doesn't allow for this, so I'm stuck.

"Manpuku" is 満腹 (manpuku), literally meaning "full stomach," while 堂 (dou) means "hall". Apparently Takayuki is being told that he has to treat his friends a big meal, or to invite them to a nice restaurant, as he was the one who lost the game.

The use of katakana for "manpuku" is perhaps for stressing that Takayuki's treat has to be a really BIG meal, or for emphasizing the nature of "manpukudou" as a made-up phrase.

quote:
p116:
Hana: Tsuge-san te donna hito?
Kikyou: Na- nani yo, yabu kara bou ni-

-The entire second part is alien to me. Yabu doesn't come up in my dictionary, so the whole phrase doesn't make sense at all.

藪から棒に (Yabu kara bou ni) is an expression meaning that something suddenly happens or being brought on without the slightest warning.

"Yabu" literally means thickets, by the way.

quote:
p119:

- "Hito was written as 地人, and "neta" in katakana. My take was, "Stop messing around with me when I'm trying to sleep already!"

It is written as 他人 (tanin) instead of 地人 (earthman?). "Tanin" literally means "other people." In this line, the context of "hito" is pretty much the same as "tanin." While ネタ (neta) here takes the meaning of " (news) materials" instead of "slept." Takayuki is probably telling his friends not to play around with the inside stories of the others (or him), since they are shown to be holding an "emergency meeting" on Takayuki's love affairs.

The translation of the "free talk" as a whole is alright and I can't see any serious problem. Just that it may be better to translate "ミーハーな" in the second paragraph instead of ignoring it. Also, a literal translatation of "担当様" sounds more accurate as the romanization "Tantou-san" may give the readers a false impression that "Tantou" is a name/surname like "Miyazaki" or "Suzuki." And for the first line of the second paragraph, it may be a good idea to rephrase it to better reflect both the literal meaning and the implied gratitude/politeness. (note the use of "お邪魔して" ).

P.S. for anyone who is lost, check out the raws of the pages in question
http://kiki.onlineghibli.com/shiawase/

04.10.2006, 09:55 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Jiji understands Japanese well.

p114:
"Manpuku-dou"
I guess that they eat in the cafe "Manpuku-dou" on the way home from school occasionally.
Mamoru: We will eat in "Manpukudou" while hearing the report of your date. It's your treat.

p116:
Kikyou: What do you say? Suddenly.

Yabu: thickets, Bou: Stick
Yabu kara Bou ni. ==> a stick from the bushes.
We find out it only after pierced if we were pierced with a stick from the bushes.

p119:
Takayuki: Stop messing around with me!

Ne-ta is slang of Ta-ne.
-same kind of words-
Tou-shi-ro ==> Shi-rou-to : an Amateur.
Da-fu-ya ==> Fu-da-ya : Scalper, Tout

--------------------------------------------------
p131:Free talk No2
aa, kando---!!!
ああ、感動---!!!

p143:
Hiromi : ウルヘ---ッ ==> U RU HE eee ==> U RU SA I !!

p149:
Maruoka : Hen ni ijikete sa
I became warped strangely.

Post last edited by nanashi on 04.10.2006, 10:43 AM.

04.10.2006, 10:42 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wait... so "Manpuku-dou" is the name of a restaurant then? This sorta complicates things a little. From Jiji and dballred (another friend of mine), manpukudou here would mean to tell a complete report of his date. But if it's a restaurant, then the grammer is seriously off to me, although missing particles and stuff are common in japanese speech, I admit.

I'll leave this one on the waiting list.

P119: Again, Nanashi's explanation is different from Jiji and dballred (about "neta", but the translation, fortunately, is the same. Not of importance, but it'd be nice if I could find out which is the right one. Just to humour my curiosity though, no real value.

And on the free talk...

Well, Jiji... that's why I expressed problems with the Free Talk, and why it's "nearly" complete. I don't know what "miihaa" means, and unlike what you tought, I too believed "Tantou-san" to be a name

I sort of noticed the use of "ojamashite", but until you pointed it out, hadn't realized the implied politeness; I thought it simply implied them coming to see her, although I know it also means they took the trouble to see Hiiragi, and she recognizes it. But these kind of "hidden" meanings are so common in japanese language that it would take a whole phrase to explain it even briefly. Nonetheless, I'll try, but it's not guaranteed, since I have also to consider the cramped space (I think you realized that too).

The Manpuku-dou will take priority at the moment, but I feel a lot more tinkering with the Free Talk is inevitable.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

04.11.2006, 12:44 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
nanashi
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Japanese is troublesome for native Japanese.

p114: "Manpuku-dou"
in Japan, we use such an expression.
==>Kyou no "McDonald's" wa kimi no ogori desu.
==>Today's "McDonald's" is your treat.
it's mean "Today's lunch in "McDonald's" is your treat.".

p119: "Neta"
sorry, I've confused you.
"Neta" is meaning of "Tane". but in this case, Tane isn't meaning of seed.
it's meaning of " (news) materials", as Jiji says.

p115: Free Tlka No1
"Tantou-san"
"Tantou-san" means not the name but her person in charge. (How Jiji is intelligent cat!)
in Japan, we sometimes call the person by his/her official position name. (ex. shachou-san, Sensei etc.)
Especially, the expression "Tantou-san" is general in the world of Manga.
But, an false impression as the name of a person is given to the reader as Jiji says. (Roarkiller must be so.)

"miihaa"
"miihaa" is meaning of lowbrow.
it's meaning of people who leap to adopt the popularity fashions.
It is an abbreviation of "Mii-chan Haa-chan". The etymology of "Mii-chan Haa-chan" is not made clear.

"ojamashite"
in this case, You may use "visited".

Cheers..

04.11.2006, 02:56 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

*smacks head* I forgot about that particular grammar part. Thx, Nanashi. Now to see if we can get some info on this eatery.

"Tantou-san" will be best translated as boss, I think. For "Miihaa", I think the word 'fan' would suffice.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

04.11.2006, 09:53 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Yeah, more beggin'. And more free talk. Yeah. Link to script's here.

映画の製作が始まる前、ある日突然宮崎さんから電話を いただいて「飛行船乗りませんかぁ?」と言われました 。「ドライブ行きませんかぁ?」って感じでそんな大変 な事を事もなげにおっしゃるので、面食らって「え.. .飛行船...ですか」と確認してしまいました。(そ うか、宮崎さんほどの人には全然大した事じゃないんだ わ」と思いつつも。すると宮崎さんは「いや飛行船乗り たいって本に書いてあったから」とおっしゃって下さっ たのです。いやー希望なんて持てなくても書いておくも のですねぇ。まさかこんな展開になるなんて!!ーそん な訳で生まれて初めて憧れの飛行船に乗る事が出来まし た。しかもあの宮崎さんと一緒に!ああカンドー!!! しかし...乗り物に弱い私は甘かった。飛行機は平気 なので考えなかったけど実際乗ってみると飛行船て揺れ る、揺れる...飛行船てだけあってホントに船みたい な揺れ方なんです。ほどなくして夢のような空の上で、 私はすっかり酔ってしまいました。うう...(汗マー ク)でも窓からのパノラマはほんとにキレイでした。地 上を移動していく飛行船の影がリアルで感慨深かったで す。思わぬ機会を与えて下さって、宮崎さんには本当に 感謝しております。今度乗れたら、ちゃんと酔い止め飲 んでおこう......

Before the start of the movie's production, I received a call from Miyazaki-san, who said, "Would you like to ride an airship?" If he had said something like, "Would you like to go for a drive?", it wouldn't be a strange, and confounded, I asked, "Eh... airship...?" to confirm with him. Well, I guess for people like Miyazaki-san, it's not that big a deal at all, I thought. Then Miyazaki-san replied, "Ah no, it's just that in the book, you said you wanted to ride in an airship." ??Iyaa?? I just wrote that without any real hope. To think it would actually turn out like this!! And that's how my dream of riding an airship came true. And together with Miyazaki-san! Aah, I'm so moved!!! But... being weak to motion sickness, I was too naive. I wasn't too concerned since I was fine with airplanes, but in reality, the airship was swaying, swaying... The airship was really swaying, just like a real ship. On a boundless dream-like sky, I became completely sick. Uu... (sweatdrop) But the panoramic view from the window was really gorgeous. The airship's shadow moving acroos the ground gave me such a real moving feeling. I was really grateful to Miyazaki-san for giving me this unexpected opportunity. The next time I take a ride, I'll be sure not to fall sick and experience it fully...

-----

And the short stuff.

p137:

Hana: Tomodachi to ka, koibito to ka, kodawatteru no wa Kikyou no hou ja nai?

-Kodawatteru... tte nani?

p139:

Konna toki no hareta kyuujitsu hodo yarikirenai mono wa nai.

-"Yarikirenai", soshite, koko no "hodo" no imi ga wakannai.

-----

Also on p144, but I need to insert part of the whole dialogue for it to make sense. Problems are in bold.

Hiromi: Ii ka, Tsuge-chan!! Taka ga onna no koto de itsu made mo guchi-guchi shiteru nja nai!

Takayuki: Nani yo, anna onna no hitori ya futari! ... Daitai anna onna tte... shiri mo shinai kuse ni.

Hiromi: Shittemasu yo~! Mamoru-chan to toshokan de mite mon ne~!

-----

That's for two week's worth. After that, it's two more releases until the end, yay!

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 04.23.2006, 10:39 PM.

04.23.2006, 10:36 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
nanashi
Ohmu

oh, It's only a few pages remain.

Free talk 2
>ほどなくして夢のような空の上で、
>On a boundless dream-like sky
Before long on the dream-like sky

p137:
>kodawatteru
ki ni shinakute mo yoikoto ga ki ni kakaru
worry? fuss?
You worry about whether you are a lover or a friend, don't you?

p139:
>Konna toki no hareta kyuujitsu hodo yarikirenai mono wa nai.
>"Yarikirenai"
= taerarenai, yarusenai
unbreakable, dreary
-He feel gloomy. He still harbor ill feelings about her.
>"hodo"
such a fine holliday
In such a time, there is no intolerable day like a fine holiday.

p144:
>Taka ga onna
mere? girl
>guchi-guchi suru
= guzu-guzu iu = uji-uji suru + butsu-butsu iu
Don't grumble about a mere girl.

>shiri mo shinai kuse ni.
=Shiranai noni.
You wouln't know about her.

>Shittemasu yo~!
Of course, I know her.

------------------------------
p153:
やれやれ
yare yare
Oh no.

ったく しょーが ねーなー
ttaku shooga neenaa
-mattaku shouga naina
( hontouni doushiyoumo nai hito dana kono hito wa. )
------------------------------

04.24.2006, 01:26 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nanashi has given a clear and detailed explanation on each of those word-in-questions, so I don't really have much to add.

As for the free talk, "酔い止め" in the last line is a medicine for avoiding motion sickness. You may like to include it in the English translation.

04.25.2006, 03:47 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

How intelligent cat you are to be able to understood that it is a medicine from only word "Yoidome"!
I respect you.

04.25.2006, 05:36 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

On p144:

Taka ga onna: a mere girl
Guchi-guchi shiteru: always grumbling

So a good trans would be, "A mere girl will forever always be grumbling, see?"

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

04.25.2006, 11:37 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
nanashi
Ohmu

hmmm?

Takayuki grumbling about a mere girl.
ok?
Hanako: Hey Takayuki! Stop your grumbling! Don't worry about a girl!

04.25.2006, 12:15 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
hmmm?

Takayuki grumbling about a mere girl.
ok?
Hanako: Hey Takayuki! Stop your grumbling! Don't worry about a girl!

So then:

"See here, Takayuki, you're forever grumbling about some mere girl, you know?"

But then, the next line, Takayuki said, "Anna onna no hitori ya futari!" (There's only one or two of that kind of girls!)

So isn't the one grumbling the girl? Or am I somehow confusing myself here?

EDIT: Aye, I came across a line I hadn't translated that I missed, so I never included it in my previous post. Damn.

Hana: Haa, sewa ga yakeru ne~. Sateto, mou hitohada nuide yaru ka na, Hana-chan shite wa sa...

Also on the same page, an address. The prefecture isn't shown (aww...), but the rest is as follows: Sakura-shi, Higashi-machi, 2-56-7. (...県、桜市、東町、2-56-7) Wondering if there's any way we can find out where exactly in Japan this is. The only Sakura-shi I got was in Miyashiro, Saitama.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 04.25.2006, 10:14 PM.

04.25.2006, 08:59 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Also on the same page, an address. The prefecture isn't shown (aww...), but the rest is as follows: Sakura-shi, Higashi-machi, 2-56-7. (...県、桜市、東町、2-56-7) Wondering if there's any way we can find out where exactly in Japan this is. The only Sakura-shi I got was in Miyashiro, Saitama.

My best guess is that there is no such place--and that's not unusual for a story of this sort. I checked the map feature on Goo for Sakura train stations and came up with two--one in Mie and one in Aichi. Neither was a city. One was a town and the other just a station name.

04.26.2006, 08:01 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
nanashi
Ohmu

p144:
Hiromi: "See here, Takayuki, you're forever grumbling about some mere girl, you know?"
Nice. Because she is drunk, her expression is more hard.

p144:
Hiromi: "Anna onna no hitori ya futari!"
(There's only one or two of that kind of girls!)
"*** no hitori ya futari": it's an idiomatic expression.
Takayuki and Hiromi understood that the girl means Kikyou. Of course, they know that Kikyou is only one person.
(You mustn't grumble because of you were dropped by) one or two of that kind of girls!

p142:
Hana: Haa, sewa ga yakeru ne~. Sateto, mou hitohada nuide yaru ka na, Hana-chan shite wa sa...
Haa, (kikyou wa) sewa ga yakeru ne~. Sateto, (Kikyou no yoi yuujinn dearu) Hana-chan wa (Kikyou no tameni) mou hitohada nuide yaru.

whew... She gives me a lot of trouble... well... I lend her a helping hand further....

The nearest station in Takayuki's house is Nishitakada. (p86, p110)
The next station is HigashiTakada and Momokawa. (p140)
It takes 15 minutes to the nearest station of his school from Nishitakada. (p115)
It takes 2 hours from the Nishitakada station to the Sakura station. (p140)

But, I think that "**-prefecture Sakura-shi Higashi-machi, 2-56-7." is fictitious city.

04.26.2006, 02:06 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Figures. I thought maybe there might be a chance that Hiiragi would use a real town.

And now I'm confused with the line "Anna onna no hitori ya futari".

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 04.27.2006, 10:29 AM.

04.27.2006, 09:38 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
nanashi
Ohmu

hehe 
"Anna onna no hitori ya futari"
"Anna onna"
such a girl, girl like her (Kikyou),
-there is a note of scorn in this term.
"hitori ya futari"
no meaning.
-this is emphasizing the meaning of the sentence.
ex.
Anna onna no hitori ya futari (inaku natta toshitemo...)
Anna onna ga hitori inaku temo, tatoeba anna onna ga futari itatoshite futari tomo inaku temo...
we suppose that she exists as two people. and even if there isn't both of the two people.

Jiji, we need your help...

04.27.2006, 01:05 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Figures. I thought maybe there might be a chance that Hiiragi would use a real town.

And now I'm confused with the line "Anna onna no hitori ya futari".

If I can gather from the discussion above and the mood, I'd say that Hiromi was applying typical feminine logic and saying that Taka is always grumbling about girls. He knows he grumbles about Kikyou, but he's applying typical male logic to the typical female logic by protesting that he doesn't grumble about girls in general--just about this one.

I'm not good at condensing the thought, but he might be saying something like "Preposterous! There aren't many girls like her."

04.27.2006, 01:51 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

So... does "hitori ya futari" have a meaning or not? Because I gathered from the story in general that he was used to grumbling about girls. He DID get rejected several times, if what Mamoru and his parents said were true (mata ii hito ni natte).

Or maybe what he says next is the key? "Daitai anna onna tte... shiri mo shinai kuse ni."

"Besides, a mere girl... you don't even know her."

I'd ask my japanese teacher, but I don't think my current one can help very much. Aside from the huge generation gap, he's not easy to understand in English OR Japanese. Plus, he mumbles.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

04.27.2006, 11:20 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Umm... this line is tricky as everyone sees it quite differently.

Anyway I am with Nanashi on this one. I am not really sure why, but I find the context of "一人や二人" quite similar to the same phrase in "あなた一人や二人いなかったとしても," a line from a song called "Blooming Days." The overall conversation also flows better with that phrase treated as a modal device than taken literally.

And the fact that Nanashi is a native Japanese adds a bonus to the accuracy to this interpretation . The manga is catered to Japanese readers after all.

Anyway maybe I should consult some knowledgable people on this rather than throwing out empty words... I'll see how my teacher and classmates interpret it when I meet them on Sunday.

04.28.2006, 02:06 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks