QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - can anyone recommend good movies or books?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » can anyone recommend good movies or books? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.19.06
  can anyone recommend good movies or books?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by IluvHowl06 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

can anyone recommend good movies or books? thanx
I need something 2 keep me busy

04.11.2006, 09:20 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Tales From Earthsea, series of 4 books by Ursula K. Le Guin. Goro Miyazaki is directing an anime on it due out this summer in Japan called Gedo Senki. I suggest you read them. They're of a low reading level so need not worry about trouble understanding.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

04.12.2006, 03:48 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by IluvHowl06 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ok! i'll check them out.

04.15.2006, 11:43 AM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I daresay you've already read Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle, IluvHowl06, but if not, it's great.

Oh, I love anything by Terry Brooks. His Shannara series is fantastic. I advise everyone to read them, though they are quite long...

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

04.24.2006, 12:50 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by IluvHowl06 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yes i've read it. thanx for recommending, though

04.24.2006, 06:53 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Death Gate CyclePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

'Dragon Wing' by Margaret Weis is very good! It is a 3 book series I do believe.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553286...ce&n=283155

~Akarui Tsubasa~

Post last edited by shiawase on 04.25.2006, 03:07 AM.

04.25.2006, 03:06 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

wow! thanks for all these great book reccomending

04.25.2006, 11:27 AM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

does anyone know if the moive made after the famous book, "the daVinci code" is out yet? thanks. i started reading it, and it is GOOD! i'd like to see the movie too

04.26.2006, 08:13 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by IluvHowl06
does anyone know if the moive made after the famous book, "the daVinci code" is out yet? thanks. i started reading it, and it is GOOD! i'd like to see the movie too

The DaVinci Code - http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/

Release: 19 May, 2006.

Trailer 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z1fsMn6zvrg&a...=Davinci%20Code

Trailer 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1QGT6E_Yxu4&a...=Davinci%20Code

This years going to be a good year for movies I think.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

04.26.2006, 09:56 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

thank you so much! it really helped me! wow, that's not long to wait

04.27.2006, 10:39 AM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
Totoro Kid
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.27.06
  MoviesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totoro Kid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would try reading the Beet the Vandel Buster graphic novel series. The ghibli studio books are always good. Oh and for a movie i reccomend "My Neighbors the Yamadas"

04.27.2006, 08:10 PM Totoro Kid is offline   Profile for Totoro Kid Add Totoro Kid to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Totoro Kid
I would try reading the Beet the Vandel Buster graphic novel series. The ghibli studio books are always good. Oh and for a movie i reccomend "My Neighbors the Yamadas"

OK! thanks! ooh i have many good books to buy

04.27.2006, 10:28 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Dan Brown's book is very action-packed and rarely leaves you dull for a moment.

Unfortunately, when you get to around my age, you'd then realize all the major holes he has in his stories, from the subtle to the in-your-face obvious.

There's A Series of Unfortunate Events, which is quite well written.

I mostly watch japanese movies, and usually those non-action stuff too, so I can't recommend much. But Be With You and Fifteen are two good shows I'd recommend.

Then there's New Zealand's Whale Rider.

Anime-wise, several. Some are quite old, but a few of my recommendations:

-JinRoh (Wolf Brigade)
-Like the Clouds, Like the Wind
-Millenium Actress
-Spriggan (it's violent, so beware)

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.27.2006, 11:35 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
shiawase
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Anime-wise, several. Some are quite old, but a few of my recommendations:

-JinRoh (Wolf Brigade)
-Like the Clouds, Like the Wind
-Millenium Actress
-Spriggan (it's violent, so beware)

I disliked Spriggan. And yes, Millenium Actress is amazing.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

04.28.2006, 04:05 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
Lin
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.20.06
  :3Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Everworld by Katherine A. Applegate it's a very good series of books ^_^

04.28.2006, 09:18 AM Lin is offline   Profile for Lin Add Lin to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.01.06
goooooood booookPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

if you like mystery, atmosphere, history, human stories and love (you like ghibli so.....) then you should check out 'The Shadow of the Wind', by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
its a bit wordy but fully worth it - but be warned it can get datk in there!

8]

05.01.2006, 04:32 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
micg huz
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i ment DARK in there but maybe a bit datk too. if your lucky.

05.01.2006, 04:34 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
shiawase
Ohmu

Whaddya mean! I love datk books too.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

05.03.2006, 01:41 PM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
micg huz
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

heh heh. then this ones for you aye. best of both.

05.03.2006, 03:16 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I HIGHLY recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels (Death rules!), and Christopher Moore's books (random comedy).

Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn and Tamsin, and Michael Ende's The Neverending Story.

05.11.2006, 05:12 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks