QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - How do you feel at the end of a movie?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions How do you feel at the end of a movie? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.08.06
How do you feel at the end of a movie?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Haku Fan Girl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I want you guys to think. How do you feel at the end of a Miyazaki/Takahata/Ghibli film? This is what I think. Please note I'm very behind in this!

1. Spirited Away (my first): Tearjerker type, especially the music. Will they meet again? We must only speculate!

2. Nausicaa: Sad, then happy because the ohmus brought Nausicaa back from the dead.

3. Howl: Very nice.

4. Totoro: Too kawaii (cute) to describe. I'm speculating if Mei and Satsuki's parents will meet Totoro and the spirits in person.

05.08.2006, 05:08 PM Haku Fan Girl is offline   Profile for Haku Fan Girl Add Haku Fan Girl to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm a typical nibui (insensitive) left-brained guy. Normally, I have a sense of satisfaction at the end of a Ghibli film--and I've seen all of them. There are portions of some of the films, however, that tear me up--mostly out of sense of happiness. Those films that bring a tear to my eye:

Hotaru no Haka - Profound Sadness. The scene during the song "Home, Sweet Home."

Spirited Away - empathic but happy when Chihiro eats the Nigiri in the garden. I tear up when she tears up.

Whisper of the Heart - all over the place out of happiness.

There is one non-Ghibli animation that caused me to tear up several times out of sadness and happiness: Junkers Come Here. For me, it was an emotional roller-coaster. There's one scene where I go from one emotional extreme to the other, not allowing my tear ducts to dry up. It actually won the best Japanese animated film award in 1995, but it was murdered at the box office by Whisper of the Heart.

05.08.2006, 07:37 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dballred Junkers Come Here[/i]... actually won the best Japanese animated film award in 1995, but it was murdered at the box office by Whisper of the Heart.

Now there's something you don't learn everyday.

SA: In a state of Nirvana. It was my first ghibli, my first anime seen in the cinema, and damn that ending song really sooths your troubles away.

Nausicaa: Nothing much really.

Howl: Troubled. By it's lack of nearly everything. Was hoping for something better, actually.

Totoro: Amused. Ey, it's a show about kids, whaddya expect?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.08.2006, 10:53 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Haru
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.19.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Haru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm...i've seen too many to remember, but i'll mention the ones that stand out.

Spirited Away: I was just stunned at the end. I was new to Studio Ghibli (the only one i'd seen up to that point was Kiki's Delivery Service). I couldn't believe how amazing it was. Such an adventure. Literally, my mouth was agape.

The Cat Returns: Really happy, and amazed.

Howl's Moving Castle: Totally confused, but in awe of the fantasy world, and especially Howl. I couldn't wait to watch it again, just to try and understand what was going on.

Whisper of the Heart: Crying, and also happy. "Take me home, country roads" was in my head for weeks afterwards.

My Neighbor Totoro: Thinking how my friends were right when they told me what a cute and great movie it was. Another catchy song that stuck in my head.

05.09.2006, 03:06 AM Haru is offline   Profile for Haru Add Haru to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

totoro totoro..... totoro totoro...... totoro tororo........, etc, - thats all of it that i can understand to sing, but its been stuck in my head for days now - my house mates think iv gone mad! and 'country roads' was one of my fave songs (used to sing it at summer camp when i was a wee nipper) and the japanease accent in the film make it soooooooo cute .
i was really likin' the ending to the cat returns - then the scene with the mothers and the prams going by at the very end i didnt quite get - was it saying that after all that soul searching and empowering adventure that the haru was still simply lined up to be a mother walking her kids in the middle of the day whilst her husband is out earning the bread (not that thers anything wrong with that) - just a bit traditional and contradictory to her mothers role in the film (as a career woman)?????????? hmmmmm.

05.09.2006, 11:10 AM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Tresi
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.22.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tresi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited away: I was that amazed,that I watched it again and I speculated if they would ever meet again.
Do you think there might be a "Spirited away 2" someday?I don´t think so.And the music!I love it!^^*Kleenex,please*

Howl´s moving castle: I felt happy for them

Can´t think of the other ones now...

05.09.2006, 11:49 AM Tresi is offline   Profile for Tresi Add Tresi to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
quote:
Originally posted by dballred Junkers Come Here[/i]... actually won the best Japanese animated film award in 1995, but it was murdered at the box office by Whisper of the Heart.

Now there's something you don't learn everyday.

SA: In a state of Nirvana. It was my first ghibli, my first anime seen in the cinema, and damn that ending song really sooths your troubles away.

Nausicaa: Nothing much really.

Howl: Troubled. By it's lack of nearly everything. Was hoping for something better, actually.

Totoro: Amused. Ey, it's a show about kids, whaddya expect?

In case there was a tad of incredulity there, I looked it up. This was from an announcement that it would be playing on NHK Broadcast Satellite:

1995年にスタジオジブリの「耳をすませば」に競り勝っ 、毎日映画コンクールアニメーション映画賞を受賞し ものの

It is saying that it beat out Mimi wo Sumaseba, taking the 1995 Mainichi Film Concour award for animated film.

I also forgot to add one more film with a strong emotional moment: Porco Rosso, when Gina is recalling her childhood flight with Marco.

EDIT: I don't know why, but the appearances of 'o' and question mark need to be replaced with 'te'

Post last edited by dballred on 05.09.2006, 12:59 PM.

05.09.2006, 12:54 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited Away: So very magical, Chihiro leads you all over the place like numerous places in the bath house, train, grannies, etc. At the end I felt ful-filled, like "This is the beginning of a true love, I must own every Ghibli film around!"

The Cat Returns: That was a happy ending, I watch it all the time still. The way she steps down from the sky, how she is up earlier than her mother and on a weekend too. She learned something from her experience as did I.

Nausicaa: How many times have I seen this film and I still sit in suspense and sadness the entire time? The ending makes you feel like that curtain of doubt has finally been lifted. When she walks on the golden field (so to speak) the entire film just pulls itself together for one big happy ending!

Totoro: Reminds me of when I was their age..*sigh* All those forest spirits Myself and others laughed the whole movie. It was really cute watching those two chase Totoro's around. The end just tied in with the film, I liked it...

Whisper of the Heart: Now here's a movie that, yes indeed, goes from one side of the emotional spectrum to the other the entire time. I like movies like this, they make you think. And my thoughts at the end were "Will "Country Roads" ever leave my mind?". I still listen to that song every day on the bus around town.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

05.10.2006, 03:38 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

it posted twice so & i cant delete this one. dam.

Post last edited by I-B4-E THUG on 05.14.2006, 07:46 AM.

05.14.2006, 07:42 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in order of 1st seen to latest:

sprited away: like crying, i just felt so undertsading of some aspects of life after that movie

kikis delivery setvice: the theme of this movie wasnt aimed at me, so i didnt feel it like i felt the others, but i felt satisfied at the end, & just plain old happy & joyful. it was a good feeling.

nuasica: amazed, i was just amazed at this girl who was just so strong, it was amazing. girls i like seem to have strong personalities like nuasica, but i prefer them to have a dark nature, or undertsand what real depression is

howl: i just felt so understood & releived. my brother who i watched it with wasn't as affected as me, but i was fealing sick all the way through the movie, cuz i know exactly how sophie feals, & later exactly how howl feals. & at the end, i just wanted to cry with relief, & i also felt better about myself, as if my life would work out in the end.

nuasica while smoking weed: so fucked up man, you wouldn't believe. i was just so amazed about nuasica & her stength, & the joints i was smoking made me realise that

05.14.2006, 07:44 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
~eef~
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.13.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~eef~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

um..

spirited away: i wanted to see more! wanted to know if they ever meet again...best movie ive ever seen ^_^

howl's moving castle: sooooooooooooo beautiful! almost cry when he loved her too i really loved it....but i wonderd why her hair still grey was after the spell was broken...or wasnt the spell broken?!? O_o

the cat returns: i wanted to see it again, very funny movie. ^_^ i like the happy endings...

havent seen the other ghibli movies...

05.14.2006, 10:26 AM ~eef~ is offline   Profile for ~eef~ Add ~eef~ to your buddy list Send an Email to ~eef~
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At the end of Spirited Away, aside from being bowled over by the total awesomeness of the film, I always wonder what happens about their new house; I mean, what happened with the removal men, has their new house been put up for sale again? (Gosh, I am practical!! Obviously I think all of this after I have stopped sniffeling at the song!)

The Cat Returns makes me feel really happy, as I totally love that Ayano Tsuji song.

Totoro makes me feel like a little kid again!

05.14.2006, 11:25 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Sunchaser
Totoro

Registration Date: 02.22.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sunchaser Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i luv all those movies! their sooo touching and make me feel happy!!! yay! i really like the songs at the end especially from the cat returns and spirited away...

oh and ~eef~ i think i read somewhere that hair was supposedly supposed to be like starlight

First signature made by kittycatjess. Thank you so much!
Second signature also made by kittycatjess...it's our joint sig!
Third signature made by mpw3d . Thank you!

06.05.2006, 07:18 PM Sunchaser is offline   Profile for Sunchaser Add Sunchaser to your buddy list Send an Email to Sunchaser
anumalik
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.23.06
  my heart is in tearsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by anumalik Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At each movie, especially ones like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, at the end I feel empty because I didn't want it to end. Don't get me wrong I am filled with emotions, but I get sad because I know my life is nothing like that....of grand adventures and being whisked away and falling in love. My life is so boring, and watching those movies make me wish my life were something like that.

...when I look at him
I can see a boy hidden in the depth of his piercing blue eyes,
a boy who is longing his freedom......

06.05.2006, 11:13 PM anumalik is offline   Profile for anumalik Add anumalik to your buddy list
Kanaeda
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.07.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanaeda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i quite miss the characters at the end of the films sometimes when im out and about im thinking of what they would be doing now, especially from films like whisper of the heart i wondered what happened, and also totoro i wonder how many more times they saw him.

i think thats the power of these films and thats why we like them.

oh im new to the forum hi all.

06.07.2006, 05:59 PM Kanaeda is offline   Profile for Kanaeda Add Kanaeda to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks