QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - earth sea books
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » earth sea books » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.01.06
earth sea booksPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

out of interest fellow ghiblites who here has read the books of earthsea????
and what did you think????
id love to know.

05.12.2006, 06:56 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I signed them out of my local library months ago eand never read them So much has been happening I don't even have time to sit and read a good book.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

Post last edited by shiawase on 05.13.2006, 02:15 AM.

05.13.2006, 02:14 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've read the first book in the quartet; 'A Wizard of Earthsea'.

I thought that it was great. Ursula Le Guin creates a tense atmosphere of fear and her description is wonderful. However, there have been so many fantasy books since she wrote these, that hers seem a little outdated. The genre has been built upon and added to in so many ways and directions, that it seems slighty less developed than other fantasy books which are more recent.

In my opinion it's still one of the best fantasy novels, definately worth reading

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

05.13.2006, 04:14 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
So much has been happening I don't even have time to sit and read a good book

thers always loads to do, sometimes (i think anyway) its best to do something else.
you should definatly read it - i really really enjoyed it.

Phyrra - the first book aye? and you loved it - then i definatly recomend the rest of them (mine was an all in one edition so i read it all as one) the remaining threee books complete the srorey totaly and the ending is relly satisfing.
perhaps though there are more enticing books out there - im not really too read up on fantasy so i wouldnt really know - but do read them all you wont regret it - and plus:

its the third book (i think!!!!) that the movies going to be based on.

05.13.2006, 03:47 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Phyrra
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Micg huz ~ my copy is also four books in one and after I've finished reading Jarka Ruus (by Terry Brooks ~ the Emperor of fantasy and creativity) I'll be sure to read the others

My English teacher at school said that she doesn't like fantasy books beacuse she "cannot imagine herself in them"....

Personaly, I think that is a ridiculous thing to say. I didn't tell her that of course, or I would have had a detention, but what do you think? Can you imagine yourself in a Studio Ghibli film or a fantasy/ sci-fi novel like Earthsea? And if one can't, does it really mean that one dislikes the entire genre?

I only hope that she isn't a member of these forums and isn't reading this right now...

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

05.14.2006, 06:26 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hee hee hopefully she doesnt know your ghibli alius.
on the topic - yes yes definatly - that is one of my favorite things to do, before i go to sleep or when im sad or even when im happy, as a way of escaping (what i think sometimes can be a sightly, atleast on occasion) mundan, unfreindly and cold world, i will imagine myelf so clearly in a ghibliesque world flying like nausica or running through the forest like moro (you dont have to be a human to be yourself in a fantasy right??).
i think if absolutly anyone wanted to, was open to and tryed then they could imagine themselvs in any world they wanted - the power of imagination - anything can happen in the universe of the mind (its just a shame you cant always project it outwards), so i dont really believe that you teacher couldnt imagine herself in a fantasy world (unless ofcourse shes a friggin robot sent to extract kids imaginations and thus their creativity to prepare them for an automated drone like existance in a tyranical, mechanical regime of the future - maybe they sent her back in time to stop the kids (of wich i hope im still one!!!) from resisting this regime - like Arnie the governator - watch out she could be interfacing with thease computars as we speak!!!!
i dont believe that she couldnt imagine herself in fantasy - she just wouldnt or is missing some part of her brain.
a boring way to be it seems to me.
i bet your a dreamer too......
peace dude.

05.14.2006, 02:30 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Phyrra
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by micg huz
peace dude.

You're right!

I'm always imagining myself in another fantasy world! And about projecting the imagination? That's why I write. I can escape to another world where I'm an all powerful Emperor, or become a wandering trader moments later, or even a Demom Lord facing a plague about to kill his people. Then I write them down.

I don't write down all the things I imagine. Most of the time I picture myself in a land of Sky Elves (elves with wings) where I'm the Sky Elven Emperor who everyone listens to and obeys... Probably a response to me being a child and having a very small amount of authority. But when I daydream, or imagine, myself in this world, I have power and can fly through shimmering ice capped mountains and glide among fields of ephermeral beauty. All this without the pressure of GCSEs, homework and annoying English teachers who force me to read monotone books about today's world. I want to be free, my dreaming allows me to be!

Sorry.... I bet you are all quickly hitting the 'back' button on your web browser to escape my insane ramblings...

But can any of you honestly says thay you've never imagined yourself in a ghibliesque world?

I hope at least micg huz understand... please say you do.... or am I just weird...

*sighs*

05.14.2006, 03:41 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

yes yes i understand and dont worry you are (if your lucky and a true to yourself) weird - so be proud of it - it'd be sad to not be right! or can you even not be? perhaps some people just apear not to be.......
ps - you write very very nicely for someone doing there gcse's - much better than i did then - i bet your stories are really well written.
the elf kingdom in the sky sounds cool - EMPEROR OF THE WINGED SKY ELVS - a very lofty apointment and it shows (i thought) that you are aware of your own self worth and proud - this is very good - - perhaps i should try instating myself in some fantastical kingdom as a wise and just ruler or a powerfull and doom mongering demon lord - then map that into my life

- you will all be my minions - hah hah hah hah (evil laugh).

05.14.2006, 03:57 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Phyrra
Baron

Thank you so much! That's given me an extra boost of confidence for the GCSE I have in 2 weeks! I'm taking French and R.S a year early, so I'm actually a year below GCSE year. I'm 14. Not that it matters when I'm the Emperor, the other Sky Elves do just as I say... *eyes mist over*

Anyway, that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time Ah... thanks you micg huz. You're the first person I know who understands this imagining thing I'm into. Obviously I realise when it's not the time to dream... such as school, or lessons with English teachers who can't imagine and may be from mechanical regimes...

Hmmm... evil minions, eh? I quite like that idea...

Post last edited by Phyrra on 05.14.2006, 04:13 PM.

05.14.2006, 04:12 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

the imaginationis a gift and by the sounds of yours youv been blessed. keep it up and one day im sure you could be a writer (if you wanted) - all that matters is the passion and its a bonus if you have the skill too, so count your lucky stars - just dont eat one "oh heartless man."
good luck with your gcse's king of elvs. and keep an eye on that suspicious teacher of yours - make sure her pores excrete sweat! does she blink? or perhaps shes from such a highly technilogicaly developed world of the future that the human eye could not possibly detect her mechanical nature - wath out.

05.14.2006, 05:16 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Phyrra
Baron

I'd be tough to be a writer. Talent and luck are needed in bucket loads in addition to the raw materials of imagination and my trusty Mac to type my stories into.

Have any of you ever had something published? Be it poem, short story, magazine letter, picture or even if one of you are legendary Terry Brooks himself... I'd love to know. In my opinion, having something published means you've made a mark on the world.

Actually, us being able to publish our thoughts on these forums counts as publishing in a way. Maybe, one day in the distant future, I'll be a bestselling author and visit this forum again to tell you how my dreams have come true... *Stares distantly into space*

Anyway, anyone had something published?

P.S ~ I'm keeping a very close eye on the English teacher. If she does anything out of the ordinary, I'll be back here in an instant to recruit troops. Alien lifeforms must not be allowed to teach in schools and plague the minds of young individuals...

05.15.2006, 12:20 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phyrra
quote:
Originally posted by micg huz
peace dude.

I'm always imagining myself in another fantasy world!

I like to immerse myself in a good manga or watch an anime to escape, that's my dreamworld. Even a fun videogame takes my mind away from life usually.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

05.15.2006, 07:18 PM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks