QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Ghiblies??
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » The Ghiblies?? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
The Ghiblies??Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just downloaded the Ghiblies episodes 1 and 2. Just a couple of questions for you clever little Ghibli-ites out there; firstly, does episode 1 start with an explanation of how they animated the guy with the piggy nose (soz, haven't watched it yet!) cos mine does but it also has fansub written at the top, so I'm not sure if I'm watching the right thing!! And second, how many episodes are there? Thanks guys, you're the best!!

05.17.2006, 09:51 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've only seen Episode 2--and two episodes are all there are so far. Episode 1 was for television and Episode 2 played with Neko in theaters.

The name Ghiblis, by the way, is pronounced correctly--with a hard 'G' sound.

05.18.2006, 12:44 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.06.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wushu-4-ever Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dballred
I've only seen Episode 2--and two episodes are all there are so far. Episode 1 was for television and Episode 2 played with Neko in theaters.

The name Ghiblis, by the way, is pronounced correctly--with a hard 'G' sound.

Well, the series actually IS called Ghiblies not Ghiblis (@ SpiritedSen: remember to lose "the", it's only "Ghiblies", not "the Ghiblies".

05.18.2006, 06:31 AM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
mpw3d
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mpw3d Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ive never seen the ghiblies where can u download or just watch the vids??

www.mpw3d.deviantart.com

05.18.2006, 06:54 AM mpw3d is offline   Profile for mpw3d Add mpw3d to your buddy list Send an Email to mpw3d
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

mpw, I downloaded Ghiblies (cheers for the tip wushu!) from eMule, dunno if it's on BitComet though...but wait til sum1 tells me about episode 1, don't want you watching the wrong thing too!!

05.18.2006, 08:16 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
mpw3d
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mpw3d Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

cheers "spiritedsen" very helpfull......

ive found this on youtube if anyone here has seen it then have a look anyway apparently its a sort of "puss in boots" animation that Miyazaki
did.......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b2A718NDTUw&a...rch=ghiblies%20

www.mpw3d.deviantart.com

05.18.2006, 09:20 AM mpw3d is offline   Profile for mpw3d Add mpw3d to your buddy list Send an Email to mpw3d
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wushu-4-ever Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
mpw, I downloaded Ghiblies (cheers for the tip wushu!) from eMule, dunno if it's on BitComet though...but wait til sum1 tells me about episode 1, don't want you watching the wrong thing too!!

You're welcome. Please note: Episode 1 is not available on DVD so I can understand somehow that you downloaded it. However, Episode 2 is so please buy the original Japanese DVD > "The Cat Returns + Ghiblies Episode 2" DVD (it has English subs) > support Studio Ghibli!

05.18.2006, 10:23 AM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

quote:
Originally posted by mpw3d
cheers "spiritedsen" very helpfull......

ive found this on youtube if anyone here has seen it then have a look anyway apparently its a sort of "puss in boots" animation that Miyazaki
did.......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b2A718NDTUw&a...rch=ghiblies%20

Well, "puss in boots" is old school, Ghiblies is new school!

05.18.2006, 10:24 AM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Puss 'N Boots was kinda cool...looks really dated though! Not sure I'd bother watching the whole movie...it's way kiddie-fied, whereas Ghibli films can be enjoyed by all ages...my Mum likes them, and she's in her 50's!
I do normally buy all Ghibli movies, but as I already have The Cat Returns...I think I'll pass on the Japanese version (sorry wushu!) Now I just have to find out if the Episode 1 that I've got is the real one!!

05.18.2006, 10:56 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Puss 'N Boots was kinda cool...looks really dated though! Not sure I'd bother watching the whole movie...it's way kiddie-fied, whereas Ghibli films can be enjoyed by all ages...my Mum likes them, and she's in her 50's!
I do normally buy all Ghibli movies, but as I already have The Cat Returns...I think I'll pass on the Japanese version (sorry wushu!) Now I just have to find out if the Episode 1 that I've got is the real one!!

I can tell you how Episode 2 starts. The company staff go out for lunch to a curry restaurant. The owner challenges them if anyone can eat a meal of his hottest curry, they can have it free.

By process of elimination, if yours doesn't start that way, then you've got Episode 1.

05.18.2006, 10:55 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
SpiritedSen
Totoro

That is how episode 2 starts. The thing is cos I downloaded episode 1, it says fansub at the beginning, so I'm not sure if it's the proper episode 1 or if it's been tampered with by fansub types. It doesn't have the Ghibli logo at the beginning either, whereas episode 2 does (and v.cute it is too)! Hence my simple minded confusion!! I know I'm probs being dense, but just humour me!!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 05.19.2006, 09:18 AM.

05.19.2006, 09:15 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

quote:
That is how episode 2 starts. The thing is cos I downloaded episode 1, it says fansub at the beginning, so I'm not sure if it's the proper episode 1 or if it's been tampered with by fansub types. It doesn't have the Ghibli logo at the beginning either, whereas episode 2 does (and v.cute it is too)! Hence my simple minded confusion!! I know I'm probs being dense, but just humour me!!

Why on Earth would any fan-subber want to tamper with the video portion? It was a TV production and had no English subtitles. The only thing you should consider is whether the fan-subber knew enough Japanese at a cultural level to make a decent sub. A fan sub is a labor of love and anyone who goes through that much trouble deserves praise more than suspicion.

05.19.2006, 11:15 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
SpiritedSen
Totoro

That's cool then!! Being v.dense, I didn't actually link fan subs to fans writing subtitles!! D'oh!! That's awesome of them to do that...so I guess it must be episode 1! I didn't know episode 1 was shown without subtitles, hence the confusion. If any1's interested, I downloaded it off EMule, the file's called
2000 - Ghiblies Episode 1. The pictures really good, and it downloaded in about 24 hours. Another question though...my episode 1 is 12 minutes long, but episode 2 is 25 minutes long...does that sound right to every1? Also at the end of Ep.2 it says 'To Be Continued', are they planning to make more?

05.19.2006, 11:47 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hope they don't make more... ick. I didn't like the Ghiblies Ep1 or Ep2. Waste of my disk space to be honest

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

05.20.2006, 11:11 PM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by shiawase
I hope they don't make more... ick. I didn't like the Ghiblies Ep1 or Ep2. Waste of my disk space to be honest

They're supposed to be taken with a pinch of salt. They're more humour-based than serious issues.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.21.2006, 07:33 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
dballred
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
They're supposed to be taken with a pinch of salt. They're more humour-based than serious issues.

Yeah, but most people can identify with the situations. That train scene has happened to every guy who ever rode the commuter lines more than once. Guys will fall asleep as well, but the women seem to lean on the neighboring passenger.

05.21.2006, 11:04 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Just watched Ghiblies...not too bad!! It's kinda weird that some of the same 'first love' scenes show up in both episodes though! I thought the whole Nonaka flash-back to school section in Ep.2 was really good, especially when Nonaka rides past Ai-Chan's house, that was done soo beautifully. Also I really liked the dancing sequence in the middle too!
I think that, like the Yamadas, this probs takes a couple of viewings to appreciate it, what with the style being so different. I liked it though, and I hope they make more!!

05.30.2006, 01:30 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks