QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - wher is howls set???
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » wher is howls set??? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.01.06
wher is howls set???Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hello guys. was just wondering (and i dont think its particularly common knowledge so i dont feel too dumb asking it)

- wher is howls moving castle set?

my aunt told me that it was set in switzerland!
i was thinking this was the case (the scenery resemblance) and then i heard perhaps wales (also from the scenery it could be an exagerated wales), or that perhaps wales was only in the book for a setting on the magic door (one not featuresd in the film) that takes him to his family in wales. so wales wouldnt feature in the film at all right????
some say its ment to be england - but the writing on the boxs in letties tavern did look like some kind of concocted german script. so perhaps it is switzerland????
im sure thers a quick and definate answer! who can help me get to the bottoom of this?
what d'y'all think?
cheers cheers cheers.

05.19.2006, 02:09 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The novel's castle, and I think the film's castle, is set in Ingary.

I quote...

"In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist..." (First line of Howl's Moving Castle)

The flags from the war parade don't resemble anywhere in particular, or at least anywhere I know of. But in the novel the castle is in Ingary. I think Tte film is the same. Sophie walks into the wastes, and finds the castle. It must be in Ingary too. Ingary is the magical land created by Dianna Wynne Jones , for anyone who doesn't know.

I hope this helps... not sure if it really answers your question though... :-/

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

Post last edited by Phyrra on 05.19.2006, 03:55 PM.

05.19.2006, 03:22 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hey thats cool -it does a bit. but he still gos to wales in the book right? so the two world are simaltanious?
and what about the seemingly german text on the boxes - fur sie deutcherinen ous der im der welt, konnen sie mich hilfen?
but cheers phyra i didnt know that.

05.19.2006, 04:36 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Phyrra
Baron

Contains minor spoilers about Howl's Moving Castle ~ you have been warPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

By the novel, Ingary is the place where the castle is set. Wales also exists, but is another simaltanious world. One of the castle's doors (the black one) leads to Wales. I'm hesitant to say more in case anyone hasn't read the novel.

About the german writing... I have a good friend who is german, so I'll ask him. But in the meantime, I asked the good old translator widget in dashboard (OSX 10.4 thing if you guys are wondering). And it's rather disappointing:

"fur they deutcherinen ous in the world, konnen them me assistance"

I don't think it is German as some of the words aren't translated. I'll ask my friend though.

In the meantime, whatever you do, you can be sure that you're having more fun than me... I'm revising...

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

05.19.2006, 04:54 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm.. the title to my previous post hasn't come out right. It's meant to say:

"Contains minor spoilers about Howl's Moving Castle ~ you have been warned!"

That's all...

Post last edited by Phyrra on 05.19.2006, 04:57 PM.

05.19.2006, 04:55 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hey man the dash board is so great hah - dont worry about translating that sentance - ime sure its all spelt wrong and some of it is (supposed to be) conjagated, so you wouldnt find it in spell check. -that was my attemp at making a plea to german speaking ghibli fans and should read something like "for all you germans out there in the world can you help me?" (but my germans rusty as and it probabaly makes no sense!) sorry to confuse you dude - i cant remember exactly what it sais on the boxs in the scene - check out the bit in letties (near the beggining) and type those words into the translator see what you get.
ps - im also revising, have an exam about monkeys on monday!
good luck.

05.20.2006, 10:33 AM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To make a long story short, The castle itself, while really being in only particular place, has created an illusion of existing in several places(dimensions?) at once. Howl just happens to be born in our world, and in Wales. He just goes to another dimension to work.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.20.2006, 10:42 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
micg huz
Calcifer

okay thast cool. so howl lives in wales and does his bizz about in the magic world of ....... i forget.... what phyrra said. and sofie finds the castle by simply walking out into the wastes from the normal world - so it (this magical realm) exists then kindof as part of the normal world - or is atleast accesable by everyone. simply by walking into it - then wher does sofie live - her town??? - is that in switzerland? or wales? - but what about the seemingly german text (you see that is whats cousing all my consternation - that bloody writing)???

so here it is,

howl comes from wales, but livis in his castle in ingary (hah i remembered). and can get anywhere through his majic doors,

and ingary borders the lands wher sofie lives, wich is presumably not wales and not ingary.

also something that popped into my head there is no sea in switzerland, but a scene in the movie features the sea (with the blob man and the battle ships) - but perhaps this is not in the same country as it is a differant notch on the magic door and the soldiars that rade the two wizard houses later in the movie are wearing differant coloured uniforms (if memory servs), indicating the posibility that the two wizard houses are in diiferant knigdoms. also sofie sais that she has never seen the sea before that scene, so perhaps it is another country.

- so it still could be switzerland!

sorry guys your trying to clear it up and i keep getting the floor dirty.

perhaps i should just accept that its all a bit unclear and afterall its fantasy anyway.

oh well.

05.21.2006, 10:28 AM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Phyrra
Baron

hmmm....

Howl was born in Wales.

Sophie, the two magic houses, calsifer and the moving castle are all in Ingary.

Howl uses his magic and gets from Wales into Ingary. Then he builds a castle in Ingary.

Sophie walks from her house (in Ingary) to the castle Howl built in Ingary. When Howl is bored he goes back to Wales. At every other point he and Sophie are in Ingary.

There, I made that as clear as I could. Wales and Ingary are the only two places the book mentions.

Or have I just gone and made the floor even more filthy?...

05.21.2006, 10:40 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

no no its sparkling clean!
its all in ingary - in the film anyway - thats cool.
but look there a stain on my persian rug
i think it sais something - its in german.

wahhhhhhhhhh.

no just kidding,

thanks for help - who gives a hoot bout a lil bit of text anyway.

todays theory, ingarian is a geramnic language.

05.21.2006, 10:49 AM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Phyrra
Baron

Heh! I'm one step ahead of you Micg Huz

There's an actual German person puzzling over the translation as you read this.

When he e-mails me back, I'll tell you all exactly what the strange message says.

Soon that nasty stain will have evaporated... I hope.

05.21.2006, 01:36 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Ok, I've finally got hold of a german's view on the mysterious writing... Here is more or less what he said...

It is pure garbarge. If it was writen by a German person then they were under the influence of alcohol. There are some words that are german, sure, like Welt=World, für sie= for you (plural), konnen sie mich hilfen= is gobbledegook for can you (pl) help me.

Then later on he came up with this translation:

"For all you germans in the world, can you help me".

I laughed when I read that, it doesn't really mean much does it... anyway, that's what an actual german person made of it, so it should be pretty faultless...

Anything else I can ask him?

05.25.2006, 12:14 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, good job. I remember I asked a college prof online to translate some Spanish for me I think it was. Very good resource if you ask me. She replied almost immediatly. I didn't think she would... hmm, anyways. Awesome dude. 8]

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

05.25.2006, 12:36 PM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
Phyrra
Baron

Thank you, Shiawase. I'll pass on the compliments to the german guy. He'll be very pleased, I'm sure

05.25.2006, 02:50 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
lindseybermudez
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.07.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by lindseybermudez Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There's always freetranslation.com its not perfict but you can get the basic passige from many different languages!! oh by the way what ch. is that in? im on ch. 12

♥Boricua Anime Freak 4 Life♥

06.07.2006, 04:20 PM lindseybermudez is offline   Profile for lindseybermudez Add lindseybermudez to your buddy list Send an Email to lindseybermudez Homepage of lindseybermudez YIM Screenname: lindseybermudez@yahoo.com
Phyrra
Baron

Actually, micg huz, where abouts is that writing? I can't find it...

Sorry, I haven't really been much help, lindseybermudez... watch all of Howl, and I'm sure it'll pop up somewhere.

Is it on the boxes in the cake shop at the beginning? Or perhaps on a box in the castle itself... Those are the only two places with boxes that I can remember...

06.07.2006, 04:26 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm pretty sure it's at the beginning when they're running through the town.
Or when Sophie leaves when she wakes up in that senior form.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

Post last edited by shiawase on 06.07.2006, 04:39 PM.

06.07.2006, 04:38 PM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
Phyrra
Baron

That makes the whole thing a bit suspicious, in my opinion... Does Studio Shibli have a german animator who is forced to do all the work and who snuck in a plea for rescue...

"For all you germans in the world, can you help me".

Or is Sophie asking Germans in particular to help her be young again?

06.07.2006, 04:44 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks