QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Two Questions about 千と千尋の神隠し
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Two Questions about 千と千尋の神隠し Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Two Questions about 千と千尋の神隠しPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As much as I like to think I know this film, there are two nagging questions I have about it.

1. I first saw the film in August 2001, when the lines in Japanese theaters were long and the shows were sold out. While there are plenty of humorous moments, there was only one time the entire audience laughed. When Chihiro was caring for the wounded Haku, Lin asked Kamajii what was going on. Kamajii replied, 「判らんか?あいだ愛」 The audience seemed to love that line. I still don't know why it's so funny. Is there something in the way he said it? If you know, I hope you don't reply, 「判らんか?あいだ愛」

2. There has been some discussion elsewhere about the significance of the eyes on the signs in the town. When I was at the 江戸東京博物館 in Ryogoku, I saw a similar sign on display in the medical part of the museum. It had two hiragana 「め」 drawn to look like eyes and seemed to be some kind of wish for good health--or the absence of bad health. The English description said it was a "votive." Does anyone know the significance of the sign, if any?

06.05.2006, 01:52 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1.This is my opinion.
point 1: Kamajii=an old man
point 2: Sugawara Bunta

"判らんかね、愛だよ、愛。" (Wakarankane ai dayo ai.)
This lines is not interesting in only this sentence.
It is because "an old man" used word "Love" straightforwardly like a teenager who has a pure heart.

In the Japanese version, this is a important point that "Sugawara Bunta" said the lines. We can laugh saying of his word "Love".
Because he has performed boss of Yakuza in a lot of movie. And, in Japan, few people straightforwardly use "Love". Most people use "like". Even if they are lovers.

Post last edited by nanashi on 06.05.2006, 03:23 PM.

06.05.2006, 03:20 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
1.This is my opinion.
point 1: Kamajii=an old man
point 2: Sugawara Bunta

"判らんかね、愛だよ、愛。" (Wakarankane ai dayo ai.)
This lines is not interesting in only this sentence.
It is because "an old man" used word "Love" straightforwardly like a teenager who has a pure heart.

In the Japanese version, this is a important point that "Sugawara Bunta" said the lines. We can laugh saying of his word "Love".
Because he has performed boss of Yakuza in a lot of movie. And, in Japan, few people straightforwardly use "Love". Most people use "like". Even if they are lovers.

Thanks for the insight! The humor of the statement lies within the unexpected or absurd nature of what is being said, considering the source. (In English, when the topic is love, no particular type of voice would create that effect.) There are other topics where the we get the same humorous effect. The Harley-Davidson chain of biker's accessory shops had a campaign showing very rough biker types acting as store clerks. They had extremely pleasant voices and high fashion sense. The absurdity of the situation was hilarious.

06.06.2006, 08:03 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks