QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

10.08.2012, 03:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
Omg why does Jlist have so much dirty stuff. I don't even go to the dirty corner but all this dirty stuff still comes up and the computer is in the lounge room and soo aisndainsanmdskadlkms

Considering how the owner is a translator for H-games, it's not surprising, really. Geting past those is essential in order to actually find the hidden gems like out-of-print stuff.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.08.2012, 10:35 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ah, gaming... no wonder I did'nt understand...

10.08.2012, 02:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So my mom's given me the option if school isn't working out for me I can drop out and come home. That doesn't really make me feel better over how badly I'm doing, but I'm trying. :/ It's just too much to handle all at once.. at least in my language courses. Everything else is at a modest pace that I enjoy. So things will likely get better next semester.

It's just people always congratulate me on going to school and I don't know what to tell them when they ask how school's going. I usually say "Oh.. it's really hard, but I like it". I do really like it here, but it's just so hard...and everyone else seems to be doing so much better than I am. I feel rushed to learn stuff because everyone else is catching on much quicker than I am and it's not sticking in my head. >.<

10.08.2012, 09:03 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's language. You don't learn a language and expect to do well early on. Especially like you who's taking more than one at a go.

This is one point where I'm grateful I'm born in Singapore; it's practically a given that you know two languages, minimum. And being a linguist from young gives you the brain power advantage when taking up another language.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.10.2012, 09:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's not my fault my language courses were put in one term though, we tried to evenly spread it out, but two of them weren't offered in my second term. >.<

Of course I don't expect to do well. But I'm at the point where I'm failing almost.. in one of those courses. It really irks me. I didn't have the luck of having known another language before, not even French. All of my friends are bilingual but me. So I have a major disadvantage that way..

I wish I could have been raised to speak two languages, but I wasn't.

10.10.2012, 11:12 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I thought that in Canada, English AND French were required subjects???

10.10.2012, 03:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
It's language. You don't learn a language and expect to do well early on. Especially like you who's taking more than one at a go.

This is one point where I'm grateful I'm born in Singapore; it's practically a given that you know two languages, minimum. And being a linguist from young gives you the brain power advantage when taking up another language.

Yo Roar

Same thing here too.
We learn atleast two language(bangla and english) top to bottom. plus additional Hindi from indian tvs.

So basically i know three language quite well.Except for english where i make some mistakes that i do not want to do. These mistakes are actually influence from my language as i never actually talk with anyone in english.( for giving presentation in the class its a different thing as i double check every thing)

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

10.10.2012, 04:50 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I thought that in Canada, English AND French were required subjects???

It's required in my province, since mine is the only one that is officially bilingual. Or supposed to be. Even so, while they do make you take a French course in high school, that doesn't mean I'll be fluent in it. There's a program offered in some high schools where you're taught completely in French, but it's not easy to get into and you have to go into it by a certain age. We tried. We couldn't get me in it.

Although I learnt French in school, I'm not in any way able to really speak the language.

I think my school failed me a bit though... I don't feel prepared.

10.10.2012, 06:03 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Both of us being Canadian born, my mother taught me French....

Parle vous France'...
Chevrolet coupe'...
Buik sedan...

and I've learned a few other words since then, like merd..., uh, N/M...

Non, merci beaucoup, etc, etc...

10.10.2012, 07:15 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Neither of my parents are French or ever taught me French, so.. XD

But if I have children with my boyfriend, they're going to be raised with English and Tagalog. And possibly French, depending on which end of the country we decide to live on. He really doesn't like how some of his friends have raised their children here without them knowing any Tagalog. Which is true, it isolates them from their other relatives and also from that culture.

Oh yeah, my Japanese friend's roommate is a Korean who grew up in the Philippines. I've been meaning to befriend him too. I think he knows who I am in some way. XD But we've never talked.

I'm happiest for the people I've met since coming to this place. Even if I'm not doing the best, I've met some very wonderful people I never would have if I hadn't gone here. At first, it was really hard not knowing anyone, but I managed to make friendships. I have no best friends here yet, but everyone I've befriended have been extremely nice and interesting people. I love it. I love them. Although I wish I hadn't of gone to university this year, I am so happy to have met these people, even though most of them will go back to their home countries next April.

10.10.2012, 10:06 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

For the longest time I thought FFF was from UK. I guess I was wrong?

Anyway, language isn;t something you "learn", but something you "use". Once you understand this distinction, you'll be able to acquire a new language faster. My japanese teacher once told me this trick; in order to be really fluent in a language, you need to stop double-translating.

The idea is that most people, without realizing it, will translate a sentence/word in their head to a language they are most comfortable with, come up with a reply in that same language, translate that response into the foreign language, and finally say it out. Doing so restricts your ability to actually understand the language.

Hence, don't memorize words, memorize phrases. And keep repeating them. Case in point: nobody here needs to double-translate "ohayou gozaimasu" because we already know what it means.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.11.2012, 12:10 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm from Canada. XD I thought you all knew that by now. It's OK, you're not the first person to not realize I'm from Canada.

My Japanese teacher doesn't give us time to double translate at least, but she also doesn't give us time to effectively figure out how to write sentences... I was wondering what it was called. Because some languages I can understand and reply in English to, like my boyfriend's language, but I don't necessarily know how to translate it.

I'll work on that distinction. I've been trying to do it that way. hehe

Ah, on a side note, my Chinese friend hearing my boyfriend speak Tagalog with his mother. Priceless. Her face went like, "
". bahahaha.

10.11.2012, 12:43 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Yes, I agree with you, Roar. double-translating is a no-no as far as learning a new language is concerned. My old Spanish teacher in college (3 semesters) taught us to learn the words or phrases in Spanish and to think of them that way. Thusly, we knew what a 'mesa' was and so we practiced using it in a sentence over and over again in different ways. Until, finally, we could think in our minds what we were saying with our lips. We didn't have to go thru the 'double-translate' rigamarole...

btw
mesa = table

I never got to practice much outside the classroom, so I was never 'fluent', but I know a LOT of words and can piece them together...

10.11.2012, 05:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Case in point: nobody here needs to double-translate "ohayou gozaimasu" because we already know what it means.

That's so true! It's also why watching subbed anime while listening attentively is handy in picking up Japanese phrases. Those expressions become natural not because you associate the phrase with the English translation, but with the character and what she or he was actually saying.

10.11.2012, 08:45 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I think the issue for my classes is we use textbooks and these textbooks teach us/make us do the whole double translating thing (and we also have to translate from English to German/Spanish).

We don't have this issue in my Japanese course because my professor can't seem to get our textbooks ordered in..

Speaking of my Japanese professor, it seems she hurt herself recently, so I hope she's alright.. The substitute for her tomorrow has a pretty name. Wonder what she'll be like.. I've been trying to teach my friend Japanese names. XD

There is a Chinese student here who can't easily remember English names, and he calls her Suzuki and couldn't pronounce my name for the life of him. XD It's kind of cute, he's from a city near my house. My name comes out Schika. I told him to just call me by a nickname, so he seemed more comfortable about that. I just realized, I may know and have more guy friends here than girl friends... o.o That's interesting. And they're all Asian.

10.11.2012, 09:59 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well, yeah, I mean for the purpose of actually learning a language instead of using them, double-translating isn't that big an issue.

The method I mentioned, by the way, is known somewhat as the Baby's Learning Method. Instead of learning in a methodical manner, you learn by repetition. It takes longer than the former, but better when it comes to actual usage. Because you don't learn sentence structure and grammar and whatnot, your brain doesn't have the luxury of breaking down the syntax, and instead goes straight to understanding the actual meaning.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.13.2012, 10:37 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Sigh... so it seems I get lonely waaay too easily. I feel sad since I don't have anyone to hang out with right now, even if I have friends.. I don't like being alone. :/

It kind of makes me sad my friend took photos with me last weekend and whatnot, but she never put them on FB like she does now of the ones she took with another friend and their trip. But it makes me feel guilty to feel sad because she did put them up so I could see them.. >.<;

10.13.2012, 08:47 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Hey, saviour...
Watched "Globe Trekker" on TV last night at work and she was trekking across Bangladesh! Went from Dhaka, to Chittagong to Cox's Bazar... (odd name for a Bangladesh city?). (I missed the first part of the trek) At Cox's Bazar, a Bangli (? ) surfer was teaching the female trekker and 4 Bangli girls to surfboard...

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.21.2012, 03:07 PM.

10.21.2012, 03:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Hey, saviour...
Watched "Globe Trekker" on TV last night at work and she was trekking across Bangladesh! Went from Dhaka, to Chittagong to Cox's Bazar... (odd name for a Bangladesh city?). (I missed the first part of the trek) At Cox's Bazar, a Bangli (? ) surfer was teaching the female trekker and 4 Bangli girls to surfboard...

It will be Bangali or Bangladeshi for the real pronunciation in Bangla (the surfer is one of the very few surfers)

Thanks for watching
I have not seen it but i think it was recorded as Bangladesh received top 1 recommendation for cheapest yet enjoyable travel in the famous lonely planet magazine. How ever most of the tourist i find here try to go or goes only to the rural people and areas. I think it is because they do not find any interest in the middle-class as it is same everywhere in the globe. Although the life style is same the food is not it is what they are missing. If any of you come to my country i will personally show you the real Bangladesh.

Now For the story of the name cox's bazar
" The modern Cox's Bazar derives its name from Captain Hiram Cox (died 1799), an officer serving in British India. An officer of the British East India Company, Captain Cox was appointed Superintendent of Palongkee outpost after Warren Hastings became Governor of Bengal. Captain Cox was specially mobilised to deal with a century-long conflict between Arakan refugees and local Rakhains. The Captain was a compassionate soul and the plight of the people touched his heart. He embarked upon the mammoth task of rehabilitating refugees in the area and made significant progress. A premature death took Captain Cox in 1799 before he could finish his work. But the work he had done earned him a place in the hearts of the locals, and to commemorate his role in rehabilitation work a market was established and named after him Cox's Bazar (Cox's Market)" it is one of the story that we never forget the people who were there for us. There are quite a few example.

And the city Chittagong is where my University is. Cox's bazar is in the same road about 60 kilometers. Dhaka is like a normal metropolitan city(it is where i live) lots of traffic, super markets, shopping malls etc etc. But do not expect it to be even ten percent of Bangkok or Singapore or Malaysia in terms of modern facilities . The only thing to visit Dhaka a million times is it's food. The greatest and best of it's kind for both Moghal and Bangladeshi Food. Although India is the (particularly delhi) main place for Moghal Food, Dhaka tastes better(i have not tasted so not sure but people says so). The most delicious fish named "Illish" which you can only find in Bangladesh. And the Show missed another great thing our St. Martin's Island a coral reef island , if you really want to feel how a real island feels like then this is it,ofcourse without the fear of becoming Robinson Crusoe, No real electricity,floods half when the tide is on, Kindy thrilling. But she missed it. Another most important part is the forest Sundarban for the infamous Royal Bengal Tiger. Total Bangladesh will be the one fourth of the area of California the state you live but the Natural beauty it holds with that small space is really amazing. Thanks everyone for reading.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.22.2012, 05:15 AM.

10.22.2012, 05:09 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  «    ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks