QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  112  113  114  115  116  117  118  119  120  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Planning to see Porco Rosso at the theater tomorrow night...

05.22.2018, 04:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A random question...

I'm asking this question with the proviso that you DO NOT go online to find the correct answer...

explain how you came up with your answer...

The Question:
On a ship there are 26 sheep and 10 goats. How old is the captain?

Explain...

05.24.2018, 04:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What captain? There is no-one on the ship other than the sheep and goats.

(used logic based on the info given in the puzzle).

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.24.2018, 09:10 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
What captain? There is no-one on the ship other than the sheep and goats.

(used logic based on the info given in the puzzle).

This question was first asked of a group of 5th and 6th graders and a few of them actually gave the correct answer.

BTW Saddles, your answer was close, but not the correct answer...

I will say that this question is sometimes posed to university math students.

As hard as it may seem, there IS a correct answer

05.25.2018, 12:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

One of my online Veteran friends in Australia sent this to me today...

"Actually I'm not complaining because I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later. I don’t have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I have my own pad. I don’t have a curfew. I have a driver’s license and my own car. The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant. And I don’t have acne. Life is great."

05.28.2018, 11:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

My friend Bob sent this to me just a feew moments ago and I thought that I'd share it... I believe that Mahiro Takano is 7 at this time... Beautiful, sharp movements...

https://youtu.be/DZlUgkTGeAQ

If this link doesn't work, just go to "Mahiro Katano".

And here she is at 11 in Jan 2018. She does the same Kata plus another.

https://youtu.be/uQVh7XDN6Dg

If you continue on further youtube films, she actually competes against others in full contact bouts.

I am fascinated by these as I used to watch PKA heavyweight matches on tv when they were regularly scheduled in the past. I enjoyed them far more than wrestling or boxing.

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.31.2018, 04:45 AM.

05.31.2018, 04:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

here is simba horsing around with his zebra friend, taking a break to pose for the picture:

and I think to myself, "what a wonderful world"!

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

05.31.2018, 03:07 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

regarding the captain, the answer is that the captain is ██ years old. spoilers: this follows from the █████████████████████████ ████, which makes him ███████████ and █████████████████████████ .

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

05.31.2018, 03:22 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Sorry, makc, also not the acknowledged correct answer.

Like I said, this is sometimes gven in university math classes and yet when it was posed to a number of 5th and 6th graders, one student actually gave the correct answer.

I'll give it another day as wee what comes up and then I will give the answer...

05.31.2018, 05:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, the purpose given for this question on an exam paper in math was to get the student to THINK about the question as it is given, nothing more.

Most people, when given this problem, immediately start to think up how they can figure the age of the Captain. 26 sheep+10 goats+ minimum age for a licensed captain of a medium sized craft... the probable age of his children helping him times the circumferance of the moon as it realtes to the tides affecting the draft and movement of the ship..... hmmm

etcetra, etcetra.....

They are trying to come up with an answer by supplying their own information to MAKE an answer that seems logical...

The point is:

There is no answer to this question with the information given.

And THAT is the correct answer...

06.16.2018, 01:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

this is basically the random truth with loose relation to the question. in the same way I could claim "the question mentions sheep" is also "correct" answer - as it is another truth somehow relevant to the question.

06.16.2018, 07:53 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A slightly belated happy (UK) Father's Day to the dads of the Tavern.

It was also my mother's birthday today. Vegan chocolate for her, Japanese plum wine for dad.

My Anime List

06.17.2018, 08:57 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51

There is no answer to this question with the information given.

And THAT is the correct answer...

i think saddle said something similar.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

06.30.2018, 10:17 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

WL: Our facebook group is getting popular for some weird reason(although there is no post for months). It was only 30 members not its 150. maybe fake users or some weird facebook algorithm.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 06.30.2018, 10:23 AM.

06.30.2018, 10:22 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Huh, that's strange. Maybe it is some glitch. Actually, I'm not in that group. I probably should be...

06.30.2018, 10:35 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
A slightly belated happy (UK) Father's Day to the dads of the Tavern.

Thank you Kaz!

I had a great weekend - Megan and I went out to a preserved steam railway line near where she lives, the Great Central Railway, for the day. Its part of an old double track main line which means on one section steam hauled trains pass each other at speed and Megan was lucky enough to be filming out the window as another train came by. She was pretty chuffed when I told her she had just experienced something that was unique - there's nowhere else in Britain you can see that and very very few places in the world.

On the Sunday itself she took me out to lunch at a fantastic gourmet pub she'd discovered in the next village to where she lives. Superb food and a great place.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.01.2018, 05:59 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

That would be cool to have seen, Saddles...

Tell Megan I said 'Hi'...

You said that she was filming at the time, is there any chance on seeing the clip???

07.01.2018, 12:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I have asked her to upload all her movies and photos from that visit already but she tends to just not do stuff... I'll remind her.

07.01.2018, 08:47 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Thank you, Saddles.

07.01.2018, 11:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Huh, that's strange. Maybe it is some glitch. Actually, I'm not in that group. I probably should be...

most of the frequents are there. I think you remember it was made when tavern was down for an extended period of time some time ago. Since it has been used to get updates if something happens to tavern. And if you decide to join please let me know so that I can make you an admin. Our previous admin roar is still there.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.02.2018, 05:41 AM.

07.02.2018, 05:41 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  «    ...  112  113  114  115  116  117  118  119  120  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks