QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Uhhh, thank you. Roar... I think???

fermentation???

03.12.2015, 09:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

fermentation = maturing

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.12.2015, 10:34 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll be going to the JET stall at my universities career fair. hopefully they can give me some good tips.

03.17.2015, 07:17 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
I'll be going to the JET stall at my universities career fair. hopefully they can give me some good tips.

Yay. My university just invites former JETs over once or twice a year since we for some reason don't have career fairs (way to go, university). Although it seems my school/area has a really close association with the program. I'm from a very small area but there's been quite a number of people who have done the program or gone through different ones.

Actually, I'm wondering why the CIR position isn't something more mentioned here when we're known for IR and those students all have to take a language.

03.17.2015, 09:13 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

CIR isn't very well-known in general. I certainly didn't know about it until years after I first heard of JET. I suppose they play up the ALT position because there are so many places available and they aren't looking for special qualification. If they talked a lot about CIR, then they'd get more applications and have to turn down more people because places are so limited.

03.17.2015, 02:42 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
CIR isn't very well-known in general. I certainly didn't know about it until years after I first heard of JET. I suppose they play up the ALT position because there are so many places available and they aren't looking for special qualification. If they talked a lot about CIR, then they'd get more applications and have to turn down more people because places are so limited.

I'll bring it up to a friend who is in IR and interested in working in the field, whose also studying Japanese. She was hoping to possibly go through JET if I go, but she's open to moving anywhere.

There's also that sports position.

03.17.2015, 04:16 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, Canadians have that? I saw it on the main site, but the sports position isn't available in the UK. I figured it would exist in the US, but I wasn't sure where else, since it sounded like there were very few places.

03.17.2015, 06:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yeah, but they have to be specially referred by a government association. That'd be really neat if you were a top athlete who also was interested in Japan and learnt the language.

03.17.2015, 10:27 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
quote:

Yay. My university just invites former JETs over once or twice a year since we for some reason don't have career fairs (way to go, university). Although it seems my school/area has a really close association with the program. I'm from a very small area but there's been quite a number of people who have done the program or gone through different ones.

Actually, I'm wondering why the CIR position isn't something more mentioned here when we're known for IR and those students all have to take a language.

I actually wish i couldve spoken to a former JET. I talked to a Japanese lady at the stall about it and although she was very kind she didn't have a lot of tips. Other than they like people who love Japan and they want people to show they are capable of what it entails (like moving overseas).

03.19.2015, 06:22 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
quote:

I actually wish i couldve spoken to a former JET. I talked to a Japanese lady at the stall about it and although she was very kind she didn't have a lot of tips. Other than they like people who love Japan and they want people to show they are capable of what it entails (like moving overseas).

I know some former JETs, current, and potentially future. So I can always ask people about it and pass along the info to you. I'm really unsure why so many JETs are actually from my area. Even my best friend's teacher in Japan was from my area but he wasn't a JET (I think he was a full time teacher living permanently there). She told me she'd try to get his contact info for me and another teacher friend of hers, I think a Japanese teacher of English.

Also, I just randomly meet people who taught there or lived there. Often. I'm not really sure how/why. Maybe a weird sign since I wanted to go to Korea first but everyone keeps telling me to go to Japan.

One of my friends is waiting to hear back and several others. My friend over there is planning on renewing for the whole five years. She wound up in a really good school despite it being kind of sketchy at first. lol Not for obvious reasons but some really out there stuff that made her wonder how the heck she wound up there.

03.19.2015, 05:13 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Oh why was her school sketchy?

03.23.2015, 08:03 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Arguably, if you are working towards a JET program, it's only natural to bump into JET people.

So, define "sketchy". Don't skimp on the details, it'll make my popcorn taste bad *munch*

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.24.2015, 11:30 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
She wound up in a really good school despite it being kind of sketchy at first. lol Not for obvious reasons but some really out there stuff that made her wonder how the heck she wound up there.
This sounds like an anime plot. Were the kids there selected because they had special powers?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.24.2015, 11:51 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Was it a 'sketchy' art school? Or did you mean a 'scratchy' recording school?

03.24.2015, 12:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Haha.. I messaged Cal what happened. I don't really feel I should post that on the forum. They were instances that could occur anywhere that just happened to when she first started working. She didn't get to really know her coworkers for a few months as a result. But now she's on pretty friendly terms with them.

My Japanese friend got into his teaching program. ^0^ I want to see him so bad and some of my other friends. He was worried he wouldn't be able to get in, but he did. Now I'm super pumped if I get to go and we can share teaching experiences together!

03.24.2015, 03:30 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm bored.

04.05.2015, 03:31 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

cook up a semi-fancy meal...

04.05.2015, 03:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

shocking

link removed

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.12.2015, 11:15 PM.

04.12.2015, 05:45 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

saviour, I would ask that you delete your post about the child killer. Speaking only for myself, I am as shocked as anyone would be, but I don't feel that it belongs in this Forum...

I see no reason to post it merely because of the Miyasaki name.

Thank you, Husky...

04.12.2015, 01:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
saviour, I would ask that you delete your post about the child killer. Speaking only for myself, I am as shocked as anyone would be, but I don't feel that it belongs in this Forum...

I see no reason to post it merely because of the Miyasaki name.

Thank you, Husky...

no husky it was not posted for that reason. actually miyazaki is a very common name

the actual reason is ; in the case it was taken as a valid argument that anime (broadly with associated things) has an effect over human mind.
however that does not mean he is a lunatic. he just lives in a fantasy world.

i posted only a link. roar is free to delete the link.

i think it does not hurt because we are exposed to more violence in anime. and still considering that just art

@husky
i have full respect for your concern and i actually did not wanted to post it. i just happened to find it for a research. i might myself remove it after someday.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

04.12.2015, 02:09 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  «    ...  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks