QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  113  114  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yep, I'm still here very frequently, even if I don't say much. The last few days have been pretty active though! Several posts every day and a few old members popping up again. It's nice to see.

07.04.2017, 10:20 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Knit one, purl two... That's about all I know about knitting, I don't even know what the heck a purl is... Now I did, at one time, know how to crochet a little... You take a wooden ball and a mallet and... ow, wait,a minute, that ain't right is it... hmmmm

lol

07.04.2017, 10:45 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
River Spirit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.24.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by River Spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I feel like I joined this site about ten years too late.

This is a wonderful and friendly community but it seems everything that could be said has already been said and I've missed out on a lot of things...

07.05.2017, 12:43 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Regardless, I hope that you might enjoy it still... I know the feeling sometimes on other forums that I've been in.

GHIBLI is still around as well as Miyasaki-san and others of the Ghibli crew so we may still have more great movies from them which is our hope.

One nice thing about the Tavern is the international membership that we have, which is not always a compatible mixture in this day and age. True, most of the older membership is not as active as before, but they still come by.

I think that I speak for all of us, River, when I say that I hope you will stay with us and by that, help us get through this slowness that we are experiencing...

07.05.2017, 03:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
River Spirit
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by River Spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the kind words, husky.

I do plan on sticking around. I'll keep checking in every so often to see if there's something I can add.

And I agree about the international membership. I think it's fascinating and something I haven't been able to experience before.

Maybe the traffic will pick up at some point, but even if it doesn't, I still think this is a great site.

07.05.2017, 05:32 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's never too late! There are even still Ghibli-related things to look forward to, so however many people there are, there's stuff to talk about at least.

07.05.2017, 10:19 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Yeah, even those whom I dislike right now.... Why, becccccccccccause!!! They are in Japan and I'm not....

they know who they are....

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.05.2017, 11:25 PM.

07.05.2017, 11:25 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is very true, Husky. I'm so jealous!

07.06.2017, 12:04 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

One thing for sure... I'm so glad that they know when I'm funning with them... lol

07.06.2017, 01:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
River Spirit
Tanuki

Thanks arren.

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Why, becccccccccccause!!! They are in Japan and I'm not....

Haha I can sympathize! I've wanted to visit Japan for a long time. It's a dream I hope to realize someday.

07.06.2017, 04:10 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, thanks, River...

You are probably not aware of it, but between the early part of 1966 thru August of 1967 I was homeported in Yokosuka, Japan and my step-father was on the same ship... USS Carronade IFS1, a rocket launcher ship.

From Japan, I made five trips to Vietnam, but the times in between I was in Japan and able to travel around a bit. I had a Japanese Drivers License so whenever the "Ol' Man" (lol) wsn't using the family (Mom and little Sis were there as well) car, I could use it. I traveled a lot around Yokosuka by train and bus. A friend that I met on the train one day, Mitio Takahashi, later invited my family to spend the weekend on their rice farm outside of Tokyo. This was a wonderful experience, not a tour thing, but for real, y'know.

I learned a lot while there and, thusly, miss the hell out of the place. I know that it will have changed immensely over the decades ( ) but the desire was, and still is, there. Anime and Manga were not a big thing as it is now although I saw my first cartoon movie based on an old Chinese legend titled "Alakazam the Great" at a drive-in in the States in 1960. I now have a DVD of it. Later (much later) I discovered the Anime/Manga entertainment genre's... And, through my kids, started seeing Ghibli's on TV and loved them, but didn't connect them with Ghibli until about 10 years ago or so. Then I found the Tavern and here I am.

Sorry for getting so wordy... But your words brought back memories.

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.06.2017, 06:29 PM.

07.06.2017, 06:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
River Spirit
Tanuki

Wow husky, that's an amazing story! I can only imagine what an adventure that must've been. I'm sure one day you'll be able to return, even if it has changed quite a bit. Did you pick up a lot of the Japanese language while you were there?

07.06.2017, 10:06 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

My little 8-9 yr old sister, being there constantly for about a year and a half, actually became quite fluent. I once saw her wait on a older lady in the cookine store beneath Kazuko's hotel that catered to American families until they could get settled in a place to stay. My sis greeted the lady and asked how she may help her, got the cookies she wanted, weighed them on a metric scale, wrapped the purchase in the Japanese style, and figured and told the lady the price, accepted the yen and gave change and thanked her for her custom, complete with the traditional bows, etc.

Blew me away.... Unfortunately, she has forgotten almost all of it now,... ME? I still answer the phone, "moshi, moshi", thank people in the Japanese way and can still count up to 100+. I was never worried about getting lost when traveling but disuse leads to forgetting. I am not fluent on Spanish but can generally make myself understood and understand others with much effort. It is natural, I feel.

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.07.2017, 02:20 AM.

07.07.2017, 02:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's been a year since I ended my last relationship and I'm kind of amazed by how far I've come as a person out of those circumstances. I won't get into details. I'm still very disgusted by that person and wonder if that feeling will ever go away. It's like he's akin to eating a piece of plastic processed cheese dipped in gasoline or something.

Anyway, that's all. My sister and I are getting a cake to celebrate a year no contact with him. Probably seems odd but the whole thing is odd. It feels worth celebrating for some reason.

07.10.2017, 10:52 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Anybody seen Saddles or saviour lately? It's been a few days for both of them... Hope they are all right???

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.18.2017, 02:40 AM.

07.18.2017, 02:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I was thinking quite recently that Saddles has been very quiet of late. I don't think I've seen any sign of him for a while. I'm afraid I don't know anything though.

As for saviour, he does sometimes disappear for a little bit, so it isn't quite so strange. It has been some time though, I think.

07.18.2017, 10:38 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Was just wondering where Saddles went. Hope he's all good!

07.18.2017, 02:52 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

It's been very quiet the past couple days, hope everyone's doing ok.

07.24.2017, 01:12 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Doing well on this end, thank you...

07.24.2017, 01:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi guys. I check in multiple times a day, I just have nothing to say!

I posted in the "That's Amazing" thread the other day.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.24.2017, 02:05 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  113  114  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks