QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  110  111  112  113  114  115  116  117  118  ...    »  ]
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by amessharris0n
...as long as it's interesting

I came to conclusion that there is no such thing as an interesting job. People love certain aspects of their job, but as a whole the job is something you would not do unless you're paid. Otherwise there would be no point in paying you to do it, to begin with. If your activity is 100% fun, it is you who are paying for it.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

02.19.2018, 11:14 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I guess I have officially entered second half of my life - the people I went to university with started dying. I'm just like you now, @husky ) well, not quite like you, but catching up fast. What do I do now.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

02.21.2018, 03:19 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Continue to live your life as well as possible, give as much of yourself to others to make yourself whole.

This sounds somewhat altruistic, but that is about the best that I can say...

02.21.2018, 04:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"I came to conclusion that there is no such thing as an interesting job."

You have come to the wrong conclusion and for the wrong reasons. You only have to look around you to see millions of people who have interesting jobs, fulfilling and fun - and very well paid.

People have to have money to live, but earning it does not exclude having fun while doing so.

You have some very wrong and mixed up views on life. Are you sure you're older than about 13? Often your posts imply considerable immaturity.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.22.2018, 05:37 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not sure that response was entirely warranted.

By the way, thank you Saddles and husky for going into so much detail! I didn't expect such lengthy answers.

02.22.2018, 11:46 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
makc
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
You only have to look around you to see millions of people who have interesting jobs, fulfilling and fun - and very well paid.

Impossible, my whole country has less than 1 million people But I welcome examples of said jobs, where you consistently have fun for many years.

quote:
You have some very wrong and mixed up views on life. Are you sure you're older than about 13? Often your posts imply considerable immaturity.

Ha, believe me, I wish I was 13. I wish I was.

02.23.2018, 09:20 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

oh and,

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
People have to have money to live, but earning it does not exclude having fun while doing so.

perhaps we could expand on this. perhaps you does not give much thought to the question what part of it allows you to make fun "while doing so".

just this day I went to buy some apple pie in my local bakery. the two people working there were smiling and laughing and otherwise having fun all the time I was there waiting for my order. however, it was not the process of making a pie for me that they found fun. nor the process of making pizza for another guy. nor cleaning the oven after we left. none of that was fun. it's because they were together there, talking to each other, interacting with each other - i.e. completely unrelated to the job they were doing while having fun. but remove one of them and make another do half of the work - and I am willing to bet large amount of money that he will hate his job by the end of the month.

02.23.2018, 09:34 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I'm not sure that response was entirely warranted.

Oh it was ok, I agree that I am immature, pretty much,

"mature: having reached the most advanced stage in a process."

I believe he is mature man, for example. It is impossible for him to advance any further. Just look at his post - he won't consider any other views on life correct, but his own.

02.23.2018, 09:42 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The job search is getting pretty depressing...

02.28.2018, 05:10 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Having been in that position many times in my life, arren, I can only sympathize and wish you luck in your continued search...

Big Hug, my friend...

02.28.2018, 07:09 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I actually had an interview yesterday. I was only contacted about it this Monday, so it all happened quite fast. I can't really tell how well I did, but there's supposed to be another interview later... hopefully it isn't going to be a long ordeal that might not lead to anything.

03.08.2018, 08:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
amessharris0n
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.26.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by amessharris0n Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wishing you the best arren18! Hope everything goes well.

I'm just struggling with my studies atm, stupidly left things to the last minute lol

03.09.2018, 04:05 PM amessharris0n is offline   Profile for amessharris0n Add amessharris0n to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
I'm just struggling with my studies atm, stupidly left things to the last minute lol

Sounds like what I do, unfortunately...

03.09.2018, 07:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Wishing you the best arren18! Hope everything goes well.

Thank you! In the meantime I'm still looking for other options.

03.09.2018, 08:04 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

What kind of job are you searching for?

03.11.2018, 07:04 AM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
So what do you all do, including part-time or studying?

I'm in my fourth year of studies towards a bachelor's in Information Systems. I work at my uni as an assistant of a Translation Studies professor (yeah, pretty unrelated, I know). I mostly make sure the computers at the the "Translation Laboratory" are working well and have the required programs properly installed and updated. I also made some tutorials for the students on how to use these programs. Right now I'm doing an essay along with the professor on colaborative translation with the use of translation tools called CAT tools. I'm really interested in Translation and Localization, so it's been a lot of fun. Who knows, I may do a career shift in the future. To be honest, I'm not really interested in IT, but I chose this degree so I have to stick to it for a while. When this work with the Translation professor is done (around September) I'll go job hunting in IT companies.

03.12.2018, 09:25 AM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by thanossapiens
quote:

What kind of job are you searching for?

Right now I teach English, but at this company it's kind of a dead end, the schedule is really annoying, it isn't giving me particularly valuable experience to build on what I've studied before, and it's just not what I wanted to do in the first place. So for a while I've been looking for work related to translation or tourism, but suitable positions are few and far between, and the things that have looked encouraging lately have all ended in rejection. It's frustrating.

03.12.2018, 10:56 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

arren, I forget, are you still in Japan?

03.12.2018, 01:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by belborges
quote:
So what do you all do, including part-time or studying?

I'm in my fourth year of studies towards a bachelor's in Information Systems. I work at my uni as an assistant of a Translation Studies professor (yeah, pretty unrelated, I know). I mostly make sure the computers at the the "Translation Laboratory" are working well and have the required programs properly installed and updated. I also made some tutorials for the students on how to use these programs. Right now I'm doing an essay along with the professor on colaborative translation with the use of translation tools called CAT tools. I'm really interested in Translation and Localization, so it's been a lot of fun. Who knows, I may do a career shift in the future. To be honest, I'm not really interested in IT, but I chose this degree so I have to stick to it for a while. When this work with the Translation professor is done (around September) I'll go job hunting in IT companies.

Oh, I'm an IT student too.
It's a good field but it's not for everyone. You definitely have to like it because it can get really difficult.
Really good prospects for those who stick with it though.

03.12.2018, 05:16 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
arren, I forget, are you still in Japan?

Yes. Part of why I'm looking for another job is because I'd settled into the rhythm of this one and felt that I was wasting my time in Japan by not doing something more personally appropriate and fulfilling.

03.12.2018, 08:40 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  110  111  112  113  114  115  116  117  118  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks