QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Studying stops being fun when money and grades come into play. Which is a double whammy for anyone in university. I don't have any scholarship either, but then I worked full time before getting my degree so it's very different from your situation.

Unfortunately I don't know what the situation is like in your area so I can't help much. All the same, hang in there.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.28.2015, 10:14 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
I've been told to make an appointment, go see someone about this, but they're always booked. They're booked solid for over a month. I am going to go crazy and I don't know what to do.

And if you had made an appointment last month, then you'd be going in to be seen today...

Go make that appointment NOW!

Like Roar said, hang in there...

01.28.2015, 11:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Studying stops being fun when money and grades come into play. Which is a double whammy for anyone in university. I don't have any scholarship either, but then I worked full time before getting my degree so it's very different from your situation.

Unfortunately I don't know what the situation is like in your area so I can't help much. All the same, hang in there.

Yeah, my plan was to work instead of going to university and starting later, which didn't pan out because everyone kind of made me apply right away telling me I wouldn't go later on, I'd get married or pregnant, etc. Would have worked out much better had I gone that route. At the same time, I've met a ton of awesome people, I met my boyfriend, and I've gotten involved in school groups enough to have something nice to put on my resume when applying for teaching jobs.

It'd have worked out better had I worked for awhile and accumulated some money to afford school. I also likely would have chosen a different degree path. But I can't change that now. lol I have one year left as long as I don't mess up and messing up is what's bothering me right now.

Haha husky, I know. I'll ask my friend. We have a new doctor working with the school who my friend started seeing but it's really hard to get appointments with her. I'll ask her though.

01.28.2015, 02:48 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

*gives FFF all of the hugs*

I think you've gotten all the good advice, and you're a smart girl, so I'll leave it at that. Here's to hoping for happier days! I know you'll get there~

01.28.2015, 02:51 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Also, thanks guys. <3 I'm sorry for getting so emotional about this stuff. Sometimes I'm just looking to vent and then I feel better. At the very least, I've switched my minor to something I actually enjoy (well not yet but I need to ask my professor what to do). Had I not had so much crap put on me in my first two years I would've totally been able to double major. Which would have been so much better..

At the very least, as long as I can get into the certificate programs I need after graduating, I'll be happy.

I'm someone with a lot of ideas and hopes for myself, so when I get down and feel like I'm losing my confidence in myself it's pretty scary. I don't feel like myself when I get that way and I definitely don't want to lose hope in myself. Not having money drives me to my breaking point. It never used to but now it does. I definitely don't want to be someone who becomes obsessed with money but I don't have the sort of privilege to feel comfortable and not worry. At least not yet. I feel like I will eventually be fairly successful so I calm myself. I have the potential, I just feel like my life right now is killing that potential. Fighting past it is the only way though.

01.28.2015, 11:44 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Venting is a good thing, if used properly and for the right reasons... Again, hang in there girl...

01.29.2015, 01:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Strangely, I don't think we discuss the author of Anne of Green Gables at all in my literature courses or even in women's lit.

01.30.2015, 12:57 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I LOVE Anne. Basically what made me fall in love with books as a kid. She was my childhood hero, I think. ^^

Why are restaurants always sold out of their seasonal catch...

01.30.2015, 02:27 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

At the local Mexican restaurant I frequent, they generally only serve Albondiga sopa (meatball soup) on cold to cool days and then they usually run out before the end of the day when I usually come in. sigh

01.30.2015, 02:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
I LOVE Anne. Basically what made me fall in love with books as a kid. She was my childhood hero, I think. ^^

Why are restaurants always sold out of their seasonal catch...

I live near PEI and she's a big part of their tourism industry there. I liked Anne too but because it was such a big part of everyday life for me, being as I was in such close proximity to where her story was set, I didn't really think too much about her popularity. haha I love PEI though. I've gone to Montgomery's house and explored the woods nearby. ^^ I always found her interesting, as I do many writers.

I'm just kind of sad we don't talk about her or her books or Anne. :/ I'm not sure why we don't. Then again, we have no classes on popular young adult fiction or other areas either. My women's lit course focuses on women writers in the earlier 20th century, which Montgomery fits well into.

01.31.2015, 12:37 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first encounter with Anne of Green Gables was in my translation class last semester. I would expect it to be common in Canadian schools though.

01.31.2015, 07:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
My first encounter with Anne of Green Gables was in my translation class last semester. I would expect it to be common in Canadian schools though.

It's oddly not. I mean, it's popular here but for some reason we never studied the book. I bought it myself when I was little. Most of the international students also grew up on Anne of Green Gables. It likely is more discussed on the island though because it's a part of their history. I grew up on television shows of Anne and animated series, as well as other adaptations of Montgomery's other books (Road to Avonlea, Emily of New Moon).

I just find her interesting since she's one of the most famous Canadian writers and she was from the maritimes. I've been interested in finding more writers, particularly Canadian and female writers.

01.31.2015, 12:25 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahhh my horrible interview is in a few hours. :/ Not much time left but I think I can fit in a little more preparation...

02.06.2015, 03:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good luck with it! Interviews are like visits to the dentist - you worry for days beforehand but when you get there its never as bad as you imagined.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.06.2015, 07:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

You got this. It should go fine. I have to practice a lot for interviews or otherwise I'll blank out. haha

02.06.2015, 10:02 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just wing it. Probably why I don't get many job offers in the first place, haha.

I swear if I don't get started in repairing my bicycle soon, my feet are gonna kill me in the next week. The shoes are horrible, the weight of my bag is horrible, and having to sometimes carry large spare parts (read: plural) everywhere, or until the van comes to pick them up, is horrible. And yet I can't get an electric bike because my work area isn't near my house (for recharging) and I can't bring a bike into the train home unless it's foldable, while a foldable bike itself can't have a rack I can tie stuff to.

At the same time, I'm worried about the bike getting stolen if I leave it parked at the train station overnight every night.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.06.2015, 10:07 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

How did the interview go, arren??

Ahh Anne Rice is thinking of visiting near me someday. Please please please please.

02.08.2015, 12:00 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Anne Rice is my youngest sons' favorite author... Otherwise he has never been that much interested in reading as a pastime...

02.08.2015, 12:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I like her as a person as well. I'm surprised after coming to university how few students actually know who she is. I've always considered her rather well known. Aw well. It'd be cool if we could look at some of her books in class, but we haven't. :/ Then again, I've rarely encountered Le Guin although my textbooks always reference her. There's a lot of writers my classes never cover that I know of which makes me kind of sad. I mean, I love Virginia Woolf and all, and sometimes Sylvia Plath, but we very rarely get around to authors from the 1960s up. Most profs who teach the different courses are contract professors and they cut almost all of those professors. :/

Oh yeah, I'm still writing myself. Studying literature helps this a lot, although I wish I had more time and focus to read more books. Someone thought it seemed silly for me to be studying literature when it's something I can do outside of the classroom. Well, yes, I can but I'm not going to be able to learn the many things that come with this degree. And besides that, it's a degree. The only part of my degree that kind of bugs me is that we get treated as though most of us will go on to get Master's or publish scholarly writing and I'm a creative writer. We do have creative writing classes offered, which I'm currently completing a portfolio for.

02.08.2015, 10:49 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Thanks everyone! The interview wasn't as horrible as I feared it could be, and I got through it okay. I can't really tell how well I did though, so I'll just have to wait (until at least April...) and see!

02.08.2015, 12:22 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks