QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
It has the potential to be a year of changes. For us in the UK Brexit negotiations start. For the middle east the Syria question really should be resolved after 5 years and IS may struggle (I hope) to survive any longer as a coherent body. The terrorist problem in Europe grows and grows; it needs to be dealt with even more robustly. The world waits with baited breath to see what Donald Trump's administration does, both domestically and internationally.

I hope as hard as its possible that the international scene does not degenerate further.

I don't think I could have worded it more succinctly if I tried, Saddles... (keeping fingers crossed)

Hoping for all the best in the New Year of 2017 for all of my online and RL families...

01.01.2017, 02:52 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am wondering that as human beings we don't like producers of drugs. We know these things are self-destructive. And in almost all countries hard-drug and its producers are criminals. However if somebody creates digital drug then how should he be treated. Should he be despised or he should be appraised? This question came to me after i read the news that a 20 year old person was dead after playing Online RPG game for 20 hours straight. Although it might seem like a remote case, that is not true. In recent years it has been found that Online RPG Games has negative impacted health of people from early 10 to 40 years. There are now many sanctuary(or Treatment Center) for Internet/Game Addiction. And there are many people who are admitted to these facilities. The parents of these people are mortified, because the phenomena is new, they dont know what to do. Most of the people might think that the problem is in the people who play these games.

But that is not true. These Games are directly designed to stimulate a persons pleasure receptors. They give stimulation similar to Real Drugs! What makes it even worse is that the game penalizes you for not being in the Game!

Can the developers be called Criminal? [being in a similar profession makes the question even difficult]

NB: Sometimes i wondered that if i was born in some other richer country that would have been cool. Right now i feel quite opposite. Its that my country was poor that i did not have access to these addictive Online RPG Games. Otherwise i might have turned out just like one of those cafe junkies from Japan, China, Philippines, South Korea, Basically every other richer country in Asia. Although younger people might not be that lucky. The Parent have to be extremely strict to correct these things.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.25.2017, 02:55 PM.

01.25.2017, 02:54 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thinking of Nausicaa Cat and wondering how she is. Hope all is okay.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.27.2017, 11:19 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I believe she's fine, just inactive.

01.27.2017, 11:38 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

NC's fine, I talked to her a few months ago and see her updates now and then. ^^

01.27.2017, 10:49 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks you two, that's good to know.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.28.2017, 05:05 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the info, arren and FFF...

01.28.2017, 05:49 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I kind of could go for some career counselling right now. lol

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 02.01.2017, 11:49 AM.

01.29.2017, 06:39 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It's really weird finding out my ex started dating someone almost directly after our relationship. I'm hoping for her sake it wasn't a rebound. I've felt very sad, not because I want to be with him but for her. I don't know her but I don't want anything I went through to happen to her. She probably hates me.

I'm still really struggling with the idea of dating and trusting another person. I've met one person who I feel a different sort of connection with than I have anyone, they have a lot of boundaries but somehow that's made being honest with each other so much easier. Not necessarily looking for a relationship with that person but talking to them is teaching me how I need to communicate effectively with someone I care about.

How long do people usually wait in between relationships before committing to another person again? I feel ready to try again but I still feel it's way too soon (seven months). I've only had long-term relationships and feel the time between both my relationships was too short (less than six months) when I reflect back. This time I feel much happier on my own and loving myself first.

02.05.2017, 06:10 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Then that is what you need to do first, FFF... Be happy with yourself before you try to be happy with someone else.

I won't say who it was but a person I know split with his fiance after they had a child together... The day he moved out, her boyfriend moved in and she was already pregnant with his (the new guy) child... Surprisingly, they are still friends and get together for their children's birthdays...

The length of time between relationships are totally up to you and/or the person you are attracted to... I would not necessarily put a time frame on when to establish a new relationship or you may inadvertantly rush into something you may not be mentally or physically ready for.

regardless, the decision is up to you, just don't feel that you have to quickly move into a new relationship...

Take care of yourself and be careful...

02.06.2017, 03:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks, husky. I'm actually feeling really happy with myself, working on my confidence levels but I'm sure once I have a job and can support myself and eventually move out or to Japan I'll feel much better and can start going out and making friends and meeting people.

Self love is a really interesting thing and without it I would not have gotten as far as I have. Sometimes I get emotional when I realize how much I actually love myself but was made to feel like I wasn't worth loving. Also coming to terms with the fact I am a very unique individual and I think that is intimidating to people. They want near me but they want to dim my flame. I've definitely been learning a lot about healthy boundaries and learning to trust myself and my judgment.

02.06.2017, 11:08 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yesterday... well, yesterday and today, I spent about fourteen hours solid finishing marking a load of English essays from a local high school. I'll get 20,000 yen for this, but wow, it was a slog. I seriously underestimated the task... I think all of us who were doing this did. I'm so grateful my friend stayed up with me nearly all night and helped. I'd say she kept me sane but it was more like we slowly lost our sanity together. So much coffee, so little sleep...

I've heard often that there are big problems with English education here, and now I've seen the proof. I feel sorry for the students, honestly. These essays were far too difficult for them to be expected to write well in English. I wasn't expected to write in this level of sophistication until I entered university, and that's in my native language. Trying to write such things in a foreign language while only in high school... no. Just no. It's good to be ambitious and have high expectations and standards but this is too much. These poor kids...

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 02.06.2017, 04:55 PM.

02.06.2017, 04:54 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Yesterday... well, yesterday and today, I spent about fourteen hours solid finishing marking a load of English essays from a local high school. I'll get 20,000 yen for this, but wow, it was a slog. I seriously underestimated the task... I think all of us who were doing this did. I'm so grateful my friend stayed up with me nearly all night and helped. I'd say she kept me sane but it was more like we slowly lost our sanity together. So much coffee, so little sleep...

I've heard often that there are big problems with English education here, and now I've seen the proof. I feel sorry for the students, honestly. These essays were far too difficult for them to be expected to write well in English. I wasn't expected to write in this level of sophistication until I entered university, and that's in my native language. Trying to write such things in a foreign language while only in high school... no. Just no. It's good to be ambitious and have high expectations and standards but this is too much. These poor kids...

Yeah I'm familiar with this too. :/ Especially after working with college kids. One of my Japanese friends writes beautiful essays in English but she also went to a top tier university. But a lot of my friends struggle with essay writing in English, and I used to sit with them and help explain parts of their readings and edit their essays. These were the international students, the friends taking only ESL courses had very different expectations but generally spent less time studying/writing essays. My university was very difficult and a lot of time professors don't take into consideration if someone is ESL (which annoys the hell out of me because they get so many marks taken off for grammar).

Different expectations, but it's also taught me about their high school lives before university, who had more resources for studying English intensively and who didn't. Even among my exchange friends, there were huge discrepancies between the students (because they had not done the TOEFL test).

I'm surprised the level is so high, but maybe not so much when I see what some of the teachers do with their students or want to. What type of high school is it that they're from?

02.06.2017, 06:59 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

This is something about my post yesterday in 'Highlights'...

I am extremely lucky in one respect... I didn't have to pay for any of the hospitalization or medications or care that I received... When I joined the US Navy way back in 1964, I did it partly for the reason that one of my close friends who had been drafted into the US Army was killed and I wanted revenge... Remember, I was only 18 at the time. We had barely gotten color TV's into our homes back then, much less computers and cellphones...

My ship ended up in Vietnam and with our rockets and naval guns, did a lot of shooting over there. Because of the relatively short range of our rockets we had to get in close to shore for most of our 'shoots', usually within a half-milke or mile of the shore. Because of this we on board saw a good deal of the action, not like the Army or Marines did, of course, but more than most sailors. We also were small enough that we could go up some of the larger rivers down in the Delta zones. I actually threw grenades as a defense against swimmers and carried a rifle while walking the deck at night. I left the Navy in 1968.

During this time, I didn't know it at the time, but I was being exposed to a defoliantion chemical called 'Agent Orange'. Due to this exposure I now have a 60% disability status with the Veterans Administration. This pays for all of my medical needs at this time in my life. In that respect I am very lucky.

Did I get my revenge? I suppose so. With the help of my shipmates. Was it worth it? At the time I would have said yes, absolutely. In reflection after years have past, I am still glad that I served in the Navy, but when the civilian government in the States took over the management of the 'war', we were doomed to failure. Yeah, we lost the war, but some people say, "no we didn't, because all of our troops were pulled out of Vietnam BEFORE the North Vietnamese took over!" To me now, I think that it was a waste of over 58,000 men and women killed from the USA alone, not counting all of the other allied countries losses, and hundreds of thousands wounded.

Because of the 'rules of engagement' in effect at the time, we would 'take' a piece of land, but then back out!?? Why??? I know for a fact from personal experience that one village (a predominately thatch hut village with one two-story brick building) we shot up, we (friendlies) had taken over this village 14 times in 21 days!!! It made no sense to most of us...

'nuff said...

02.08.2017, 01:58 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

its called Politics.

America dont have the right to overtake a Country. It would be a violation of United Nations. (there are many articles of that time, Many says that technically it was possible but it would have damaged the Image/goodwill of America as keeper of peace. This point is extremely important as this is a fundamental idea of Building America, America can not be evil. I dont particularly disagree with the concept, but it has been used for invading other countries rather than correcting itself.)

But due to the anti-communist propaganda, and some very intelligent political moves. It was possible to keep the lead in both Economic and Military Supremacy.

But if you look at all the countries America intervened, almost all of them are in Bad position today. The reason is exactly what you said. It basically makes no sense at all. All the wars america did, it brought them very little wealth and increased the national debt.

But in a world where governments are increasingly leaning toward corporate businesses. I dont see anyway to change these stupid games. Currently the world structure is hardly any different from 12-16 century. Same OLD Bullshit all-over

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 02.08.2017, 02:47 PM.

02.08.2017, 02:46 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Seiji Amasawa
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Amasawa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I actually threw grenades as a defense against swimmers and carried a rifle while walking the deck at night. I left the Navy in 1968.

My next door neighbour is a Vietnam Vet 68/69 with the Australian Army, the use of Agent Orange was unfortunately not very well thought out.

Question Husky being a military man myself did the grenades actually deter swimmers? Just wondering how effective a grenade in the water was, or if it was a deterrent just in case someone decided to swim over and place a present on the side of your ship.

03.01.2017, 08:17 PM Seiji Amasawa is offline   Profile for Seiji Amasawa Add Seiji Amasawa to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji Amasawa
quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I actually threw grenades as a defense against swimmers and carried a rifle while walking the deck at night. I left the Navy in 1968.

Question Husky being a military man myself did the grenades actually deter swimmers? Just wondering how effective a grenade in the water was, or if it was a deterrent just in case someone decided to swim over and place a present on the side of your ship.

First of all, I wasn't using the familiar 'pineapple' type fragmentation grenade, but a concussion grenade that was similar in size to a small soup can. Other than that it was fused, the pin pulled and thrown just the same. I would say that the deterrent issue was probably the factor then. I would walk around the deck of the ship once an hour at staggered intervals with my rifle and a grenade that I fused myself before I started walking.... I walked then just threw the grenade when ever I felt like it, generally not in the same area as the previous grenade...

The rifle I carried was an M1 Garand and a belt of ammunition around my waist. If you can believe it, I wasn't allowed to load the rifle!!! If I saw a swimmer, I had to get permission from the bridge first!!! And I was a freaking Gunnersmate!!! I think they were afraid that others on different watches might hurt them selves. Heck, when I was in 10th grade I was in ROTC in high school and could field strip an M1 and put it back together again blindfolded... I conducted the firearms familiarizations with some of the enlisted with the M1 and officers with the .45 cal. handgun. My repel ship and and abandon ship firearm was a Thompson sub-machine with a satchel of 20 round magazines.

I used to ask my superiors, want did they expect me to do in an abandon ship situation?, walk to the beach on the bottom with all the weight of the gun and ammo!!! I just figured that if I had to leave the ship, I'd load the gun and stick as many magazines in my pockets as I could handle, weightwise.

Now the funny thing about the grenades (well, not really) was that I had been given NO instruction on using one. Nothing!!! I just figured it out on my own... Wasn't hard, really, but still... On top of this, the first grenade I threw, I was above an outboard discharge opening below the waterline in the ships hull. I didn't throw it very far and cracked the connecting piping within the hull... My step-dad was aboard and was the one who had to get up (about 1am) and repair it... I never heard the end of that one, lol... I was a bit careful where I threw the grenades after that...

(I'll be honest with you, If I had seen a swimmer, I would not have waited for permission to load the rifle. I would have loaded then called up to the bridge.)

PS
Seiji, check your PM...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.02.2017, 04:23 AM.

03.02.2017, 04:16 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Bought a couple of Totoro backpacks for two of my younger grandkids and a Disney copy of Totoro for them...

03.07.2017, 12:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Not much happening in here lately...

I went to San Diego and worked (so to speak) on the Vietnam Veterans Unit memorial again this month with my friend Bob. Spent Friday night at Dave and enjoyed a nice Mexican dinner from his wife, Maria. Then Sat morning we went on to the Memorial site on the NAB in Coronado.

On the way back to our city, we damn near got rear ended by a BIG PU that went around us and clipped my right front bumper with his rear tire. Didn't hurt the van , but left some mild tire marks on the end of the plastic bumper. I got the license number, but when I checked for damage later, decided not to bother, just keep the info in case the other driver tries something...

We went to the Soboba Flight Park and watched the paraglider's for a while. I got to hold a Lanner Falcon named Sofi on a t-pole that was there for training. Coolness...

Then we went on to a steakhouse where he had steak and I felt like having fish and chips and a salad bar...

My neighbor saw my lights on so came over with my mail that she had collected the days I was away. We chatted a few moments then she drove off somewhere and I went to bed... Oh, yeah... It was 2:30am, lol

03.19.2017, 09:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

@Saddles...

Have you received either of the two PM's I sent??? I'm not showing anything in my outbox...

03.22.2017, 12:47 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks