QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From this article: http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_r...d_chants_of_usa

quote:
This is bin Laden’s lamentable victory: He has changed America’s psyche from one that saw violence as a regrettable-if-sometimes-necessary act into one that finds orgasmic euphoria in news of bloodshed. In other words, he’s helped drag us down into his sick nihilism by making us like too many other bellicose societies in history -- the ones that aggressively cheer on killing, as long as it is the Bad Guy that is being killed.

05.02.2011, 07:20 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Animenewbie
But seriously, I can't see why people celebrate his death.

I agree. That party outside the White House was bizarre.

The States are just bizarre in general.

05.02.2011, 07:55 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren
That is an excellent article.

@Fen
They really are. I live here and the US weirds me out. XD

I found an excellent Martin Luther King Jr. quote and Imma post it here.

‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." —Martin Luther King

EDIT: LOL the first sentence of this quote is fake. But it's still kind of excellent.

Post last edited by Yay! Kiki on 05.03.2011, 10:22 PM.

05.02.2011, 08:02 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Rossdude
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am very split on the Osama news. He was a terrible man who killed thousands of my fellow countrymen and I am a believer that if you are attacked you just don't sit there and let that person get away with it. Also, having been a US Marine I am very proud of my country and my military. He had to die, no question about that. I mean when killing is your thing, that is what you do, you can't be surprised when you get killed.

But I will admit I am hesitant to join in the crowd in their cheering. The pictures of my people celebrating in the streets (though it makes me happy to see my flag flung with such enthusiasm) are not unlike a mob of Muslim extremists celebrating a successful terrorist attack.

What makes this different from Hitler's death (yes, I know he killed himself, but if he didn't I am sure he would have been killed by the allies) is that it meant the end of the war. Osama's death does not mean the end to terrorist or war in the middle east. The fight is far from over.

Again, though it is a victory for my country, and you can't blame me for rooting for my country. I love America. I love being American and to hell with our enemies.

Still to celebrate a death like this (though it is justice) is some what strange to me. I don't think people usually celebrate when a murderer is given the death penalty-- it is just something that has to be done. And it is border-line fanatical to be raving in the streets over this.

Tonight though I do drink to the men who took him down, somberly, in my own apartment, and to all the men and women of my country who have lost loved ones in these uncertain times.

I do hope in the long run my country wins. Again, can't you blame me for rooting for my home team? We did not start this fight, but I hope we finish it.

This is the only thing I have said about the matter. I think it reflects well on my day of thinking about it. It is sad that it was brought to this. But it is necessary.

I am not trying to argue with anyone. Arguing is useless. These are just my thoughts.

Post last edited by Rossdude on 05.02.2011, 08:15 PM.

05.02.2011, 08:13 PM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Rossdude
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
From this article: http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_r...d_chants_of_usa

quote:
This is bin Laden’s lamentable victory: He has changed America’s psyche from one that saw violence as a regrettable-if-sometimes-necessary act into one that finds orgasmic euphoria in news of bloodshed. In other words, he’s helped drag us down into his sick nihilism by making us like too many other bellicose societies in history -- the ones that aggressively cheer on killing, as long as it is the Bad Guy that is being killed.

Just read that article and it pretty much states how I feel. Good article.

UPDATE:

Oops, sorry for the double post. Also there are certain points that have been mentioned to me that make this whole thing even stranger. I am not sure how I feel about these new things I heard about so I wont talk about them until I've thought about it for a while.

Post last edited by Rossdude on 05.02.2011, 09:07 PM.

05.02.2011, 08:23 PM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

IMO, bin Laden was no better nor worse than Hussein, each was directly responsible for the deaths of thousands for no other apparent reason than their hatred of the people that they were responsible for killing. As I said earlier, I wish that he could have been taken alive and put before a world court and punished in a court of law for his crimes against humanity. I am sure that, as was Hussein, he would have received the death penalty for his crimes. If he had continued to live, even in prison, he would have continued to foment trouble and death to his enemies.

War is war and soldiers kill soldiers and unfortunately innocent bystanders in some cases. But to deliberately attack civilians with the intent of killing as many of them as you can is totally unjust. Again, IMO, bin Laden got what he justly deserved, whether it was at the hands of soldiers that killed him or whether it was in a court of law. The man admitted his responsibility and was glad about the carnage he inspired.

One thing nice about most of us in this forum, we are allowed to make such statements as we have made and do not have to be worried about a knock on the door some night, threatening to take away our freedoms or lives...

'nuff said...

05.02.2011, 10:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I really hope the nuclear weapon in Europe is a bluff.

I'm sure it is. If they had it, they wouldn't have waited to use it. The risk of getting caught would be too high.

I'm not cheering about Bin Laden's death. I wouldn't cheer anyone's death. I'm not dismayed either, but I wonder if revenge is really so important.

Rossdude - thank you for your thoughts, I found them very touching. Although America isn't my home team, I have to say: well said.

05.03.2011, 02:30 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't look upon it as revenge, per se, more like stopping him from doing more violence and delivering a blow to the al-Quida by removing their figurehead...

05.03.2011, 07:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Really? I feel like bin Laden has been so irrelevant for so long, that I figured he had probably died long ago while in hiding. I honestly don't think that it'll damage al Qaeda, as I doubt he was still calling the shots anyway. And I'd say the whole mission has been for the sake of revenge above all else, and it's been poorly handled since the start and just made the USA and its allies look bad.

I expect the real effect here will be to make people think something has been achieved. Even if it's for a stupid reason, it could gain Obama votes and prevent the likes of Sarah Palin or Donald Trump becoming President. But it won't actually diminish the threat of terrorism, and sadly, I feel it's more likely to result in retaliation from al Qaeda and similar groups, especially considering the crass celebrations that we've seen.

05.03.2011, 08:43 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyhow...

Had a funny convo with a friend on web chat. XD It was.. it was quite funny. XD She was all like "I can't hear you. Turn your mike on."

"WORK STUPID WORK"

"I heard you that time. lol"

"O.O ..."

I could not hide the hick Canadian accent... My words kept getting confused. XD

05.05.2011, 08:47 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
HataZaki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.10.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HataZaki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
quote:
But seriously, I can't see why people celebrate his death.

I agree. That party outside the White House was bizarre.

The States are just bizarre in general.

I have to agree. I mean, I know it's a touchy subject and I don't wish to offend anyone, but when I heard the news I was expecting more of a sense of peace I guess? A sense of relief, maybe a happy cry at the sign of hope and justice.

I thought the dancing in the street was...yeah, bizarre. I mean it's not like I think Osama deserves any respect in death, but I would just feel weird doing that.

05.06.2011, 09:51 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
MarkMaddon11
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.05.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MarkMaddon11 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im hungry

05.07.2011, 02:49 PM MarkMaddon11 is offline   Profile for MarkMaddon11 Add MarkMaddon11 to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was cleaning my room today on a whim, and I stumbled across an old report card from my last year of high school. It's very nostalgic and strange... I feel like so many things in my life have changed. I talk to different friends, I've had so many new experiences, and so much has happened.

But now I'm looking at my old report card, at my grades and at the comments from my teachers, and I see that I'm still exactly the same person! It's like nothing has changed at all. My memories of high school are mostly happy and fun, but I guess I really must have been stressed out back then too. It looks like I was working much harder than I remembered.

I guess one thing is that I'm less afraid of competition now, and less concerned for my future. I think I tried very hard back them to compete with other students for scholarships and university acceptance and such. I shouldn't have worried about everything so much. These days I'm working even harder, but I'm not so desperate for approval from the rubber stamps. And that's a big weight off my shoulders.

Anyway.... it's good to stop and reflect from time to time. There's still one person's approval who I'm always trying to win - and that's my own younger self. I think I would have approved of me today. And that's good, because I also approve of my own past self. Go team! ^^

05.07.2011, 03:17 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
There's still one person's approval who I'm always trying to win - and that's my own younger self. I think I would have approved of me today. And that's good, because I also approve of my own past self. Go team! ^^

Hmmmm... Do I detect the mood of "Only Yesterday"???

I DO know what you mean, Mushka. When I see pics of myself from way back when, I can usually remember the incident and what was going on at the time. My little sister sitting on the front lawn petting my dog, Tiny...

When I first saw the pic after a long while, I asked my Mom, How did this picture of my daughter get in here with the pic of Tiny?

My sister and daughter looked VERY much alike when young...

05.07.2011, 07:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I look like a younger version of my aunt and cousin. :3

Mind, that aunt is not related to my cousin except by marriage. XD

Hoping a dress fits me. :/ Been worried about my weight stupidly. u.u; I shouldn't be but everyone seems so much smaller than me, in weight. >.<; But I forget I also have leg muscle from all the walking I do with the dogs. I'm trying to up the walking and other things for exercise. I really wish I weren't so concerned.. I'm only 60 kg at 166 cm. I'm not big by any means and it's well known I'm not. ^^; Yet I worry stupidly..

However, these dresses run small... >.>;

Should be writing my skit for English and/or learning languages... I need a tutor. DX

05.07.2011, 07:59 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I am now set up with Skype... All I need now is my daughters skype user name and we can talk free between here and KSA with minicams, too...

C'mon daughter, give me the info... lol
(or son-in-law)

05.16.2011, 01:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

One of the guys I knew considered me old fashioned and laughed when he asked if I had a Skype and I replied "Not until I'm 18".

What? My parents won't let me. DX I don't even have Facebook.. Although my younger sister does.

I have to get it anyhow to talk with my friends. D: Since we've decided on using that.

05.16.2011, 11:03 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Yeah, the only reason I got Facebook was to make better contact with my dau and family to let them know that i now have Skype. It is the only way that I can SEE my family over there, kids and all... and talk at the same time...

05.16.2011, 12:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Considering I'll be living four hours from my parents at most if I attend the university I really want to go to, and my friends being in Ontario or scattered around the maritime provinces, it'd be highly useful. D: We've all agreed on using it to contact me, who's going about this on my own while they're splitting into groups, so they can check up on me and make sure I'm eating, sleeping properly, etc. XD

Yeah. They're a little worried how I'll do on my own. All of them. lol

05.17.2011, 03:32 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Rossdude Arguing is useless.

It's not COMPLETELY useless... (Heheh, potential argument here.) lol

Check out my music:

05.27.2011, 08:35 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
[  «    ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks