QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Post your random thoughts here! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...    »  ]
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Do things taste better when you make them yourself or when someone else makes it?

i like making my own things but some people like it too be made for them....

04.27.2012, 08:29 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm sorry, but I just had to share this cartoon from today's paper...

Oh, the horror!!!

lol

btw, this is the comic strip "Bound and Gagged"

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.16.2012, 01:03 PM.

05.16.2012, 01:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
AmtrakDesertWindrider
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AmtrakDesertWindrider Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow...that's odd.
My pen pal in Scotland didn't reply to my e-mail from a couple days ago.
Hope she's alright...

05.16.2012, 01:13 PM AmtrakDesertWindrider is offline   Profile for AmtrakDesertWindrider Add AmtrakDesertWindrider to your buddy list Homepage of AmtrakDesertWindrider
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I need a job... I want to go back to japan at the end of semester 2 but with just the youth allowance and my savings its not going to happen, grrrrrrr
I have plenty of time!!
A mate might land me job at macca's if i want, but my pride is to thick to stoop to fliping burgers and serving grease munchers... Japan is most definetely worth it but shit..

05.16.2012, 11:16 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Working in food places isn't so bad. You don't have to enjoy it, you just have to do your best.

A weird thought crossed my mind... I was reading about things for parents who plan to adopt. When I told my boyfriend my aspiration to adopt a child, he became very unwilling of the idea. He says that the child would be bullied and feel hurt for not being related. It actually made me cry. I know one of his friends was adopted and all, but I'm sure his friend would get over those comments. After all, at least he had parents who loves him now rather than none with him at all.

But then again, he should consider the fact if we have children together, those children aren't going to look like me... and that's a rather sad truth. I've read stories by mothers of biracial children and how people didn't believe their children were theirs and sometimes wouldn't allow them to pick their children up from school without verification they were actually their mother. And that's sad. If we marry and have a mixed family, then there should be no issue to adopt. We'd be raising our children with at least two different cultures anyhow.

Yeah. :/ It's because I believe very strongly in adoption. I just wish it didn't cost so much, but then you have the greatest gift of all. Even if I'm perfectly capable of having children, I still want to adopt. If I can't adopt them all, I would like to adopt at least one child to bring happiness to.

05.18.2012, 07:16 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
But then again, he should consider the fact if we have children together, those children aren't going to look like me... and that's a rather sad truth. I've read stories by mothers of biracial children and how people didn't believe their children were theirs and sometimes wouldn't allow them to pick their children up from school without verification they were actually their mother. And that's sad. If we marry and have a mixed family, then there should be no issue to adopt. We'd be raising our children with at least two different cultures anyhow.

That's silly. You can just ask the child if you're the mom and that's that.

And you don't really have to worry too much about the child not looking like you. I'm from a mixed parentage too, and so are several of my extended family members and friends (including an Australian), none of their kids look too far from either parent.

Besides, it's a funny moment when people stare at you in a meeting and wonder what race you are, and its funny enough they think I'm a LOT younger than I actually am

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.18.2012, 10:53 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I became an adult, I was frequently thought of as 10 yrs younger than I actually was...

05.19.2012, 03:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is silly, Roar. Those women lived in small communities. XD I grew up in a very small community. Interracial relationships are very few and inbetween here, and I get many a stare already by even people in the city. I know a few of the mothers with biracial children, people ask them if they're kids are adopted. But the kids usually tell them otherwise.

But I plan on moving to bigger parts of Canada if me and him decide to marry because of the lack of diversity in my own community. There is a community a few hours away that is a lot more mixed despite it's small size, but the major language is French (I believe Acadien French) and we don't know French...

One of my favourite musicians is half white Canadian, half Filipino. He's now reaching up in fame in Korea. A lot of people can't guess his race. XD It's funny because the people who know just snicker and find the pairings people come up with quite amusing (he has paler skin than most of the half kids I know, and his mom is tan). But a lot of people are mean to him simply for having a fake eye.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 05.19.2012, 10:00 AM.

05.19.2012, 09:57 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think most half kids still look a bit similar to both parents, similar enough. Eurasians usually do.

I guess not always though, such as if one parent is black and the other is white.

05.19.2012, 11:01 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Dream I had this morning. I wished I had written this earlier, because its getting fuzzy, and the story was really good.

So here's the stuff I can remember.

Setting was a library, moody atmosphere. I was being reminded by a terse female librarian to return a book where I found them. Instead I left it on a table, with my notebook on top, and went in search of another book. The title began with 'C' (and looked suspiciously like 'Coraline', lol), and from there went into the second arc.

The second arc had a darker setting, but I can't remember much about it. I think it had something to do with a mysterious child, and she was involved in some paranormal activity in the library (yea we never left). I was the terse librarian, and though seeming strict, I felt fear every time I was with the child.

I think there was a battle at sea somewhere in the storyline but eh. Weird jump, I know.

After putting down the book, I returned to the one I left on the table, put it back in its proper spot, and wnt to the elevator. The door was open, but the elevator itself has hanging halfway down. Somehow I was seeing this through the eyes of the terse librarian, and said to myself, "I heard rumours...".

Climbing into the elevator, I went to the very bottom. When it opened, the elevator again did not stop at the doorway, but hung midway, and I had to climb out.

It was pitch black. The surroundings seem to be that of a hall of a huge mansion. There was a large arch entrance on the left, and I felt as if someone or something was coming closer.

I saw a drawing table at the side with the chair pushed in, and wriggled my way below it. I had barely made my way in when on my side...

... my mom was telling me to wake up and help with loading stuff into the car.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.20.2012, 12:04 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

And I thought I had weird dreams... lol

05.20.2012, 01:14 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
I think most half kids still look a bit similar to both parents, similar enough. Eurasians usually do.

I guess not always though, such as if one parent is black and the other is white.

Ah yeah, some do. I have a friend who is half Thai and she looks a lot more like her white father than her Thai mother, except she has dark eyes and black, straight hair. Her skin is very pale too. But then I have a friend who is half Vietnamese and grew up thinking he was full, until his parents told him his mother had him with an American man in Vietnam. He doesn't look like his brothers, because he's paler, but he still doesn't look half. He's a lot taller and bigger than his brother who is a year younger than him and short and scrawny with darker skin.

My teacher who has three children by a Pinoy husband decided to talk about their varying degrees in appearances, like how one looks a lot like his father, and the other two have lighter skin. XD Her husband makes me think of Buddha. She's a bigger lady too, so when I see them with their oh-so-tiny children, it makes me giggle.

05.20.2012, 08:51 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

nuff' said....

06.03.2012, 12:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
quote:

Ah yeah, some do. I have a friend who is half Thai and she looks a lot more like her white father than her Thai mother, except she has dark eyes and black, straight hair. Her skin is very pale too. But then I have a friend who is half Vietnamese and grew up thinking he was full, until his parents told him his mother had him with an American man in Vietnam. He doesn't look like his brothers, because he's paler, but he still doesn't look half. He's a lot taller and bigger than his brother who is a year younger than him and short and scrawny with darker skin.

My teacher who has three children by a Pinoy husband decided to talk about their varying degrees in appearances, like how one looks a lot like his father, and the other two have lighter skin. XD Her husband makes me think of Buddha. She's a bigger lady too, so when I see them with their oh-so-tiny children, it makes me giggle.

Yeah i think its really interesting how they turn out. Me and my friends think that mixes usually turn out very attractive though.

Something though which may also be a problem for mixed race children is which race they identify with. Like one of my friends is half malay - half white australian. She has trouble identifying with which race.

I guess some countries too it can be very hard to be mixed race, i have heard that Koreans can be awful to mixed Koreans.

06.04.2012, 11:00 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Something though which may also be a problem for mixed race children is which race they identify with. Like one of my friends is half malay - half white australian. She has trouble identifying with which race.

I had a double-take there, until I realized you were Australian :\

I can relate with your friend though; technically speaking I'm a quarter Malay and quarter Chinese (by my father, whose mother in Chinese), and half Boyanese (by my mom's side). I guess it's kinda convenient when you look like any race within a few thousand miles (lol), but because of my nature, I don't feel particularly comfortable mixing with my own race group, who are generally much more rowdy.

Anyway, I find myself being increasingly easily irritated. I don't know if it's because I lack something to do (I don't lack a goal until the end of tournament season), or if it's just me being exasperated with humanity in general.

Or maybe it's because I haven't had the chance to help anyone in recent times.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.06.2012, 04:56 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Roar quote:
"...and half Boyanese (by my mom's side)...

But... but... your mom is a woman... so wouldn't she have been a Girlanese?????

So sorry, Roar, I just couldn't resist.....

I did some looking and found this, but I don't know how accurate the info is...

The Baweanese are a significant community among the Malays of Singapore. They were originally from Pulau Bawean (Bawean Island) in East Java and migrated to Singapore in the early 19th century. In the early days, many of them found jobs as drivers and horse-trainers. They lived in communal houses called pondoks. Today, many Baweanese still have ties with their relatives in Pulau Bawean though the younger ones have yet to step foot on the island of their ancestors.

Origins of the Baweanese
The Baweanese were originally from Bawean Island, 120 km north of Surabaya which is the capital of East Java. Merantau (migration) is an important trait of the Baweanese culture, a tradition in which men leave their home to earn money and then return to their homeland. Due to this, the Bawean Island is sometimes called "Pulau Putri" (island of women) to denote its predominance of women.

The word "Boyan" is a misnomer, derived from a corrupt pronunciation of "Bawean" that was started by European colonials and which has since remained. The islanders of Bawean call themselves Orang Bawean or Orang Babian, but in the areas where they migrated to, they refer to themselves (or are referred to) as Orang Boyan, including in Singapore.

06.06.2012, 06:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Yeah, that. I don't speak a lick of the language though, nor do I even like leaving my home, so there's one more aspect I'm far from my own culture.

Official records use the term "Boyan", for the record.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.06.2012, 10:30 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

lol most people at first think my friend is south american hahaha.... sadly i was silly enough to think that at first too!

06.07.2012, 09:43 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Hahahahahaha...

for whatever reason, an old song that I used to sing to myself popped into my head... This willl tell you how long ago THAT was... It was a 4-track tape and I loved the lyrics and melody of the song... When the player broke I was never able to find another...

so, anyway, I bing'd the words that I knew from the chorus, only nine of them and 'POOF' (or in my case 'woof') and it came up in the 'mudcat' site which I had seen before, long ago. I then found out that the words that I had been merrily chanting to myself were quite ribald... Maybe not by todays standards, but back then... yes.

It apparently was a Scots gaelic tune and I'll give some of the words as I was able to remember them...

"Tommy toss me tale toddle" (or at least what it sounded like to my non-gaelic ear)

----------------------

The mind is strange to say the least. I hadn't thought of this tune in, literally, years... I still might have the old tape out in the garage somewhere... probably no good by now.

=============================
edit:
I have since found out that the 'Chad Mitchell Trio' included the song in their reunion album... supposedly, they brag about it getting by the censors for over 45 years, lol

Which (surprise, surprise) I just found on eBay and ordered... meanings aside, I just loved the lilt and timing of the tune...

BTW, this tune dates back from late 1700-early 1800 period...
===============================

This post is not intended to be smutty or anything like that, just a recollection and mention from my memory...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.14.2012, 02:12 PM.

06.09.2012, 02:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ah, I was looking into people with eating disorders... There are people who have them and image issues, and then there are people who naturally are very tiny (my best friend is and has struggled her way up to 100 lbs recently and was extremely happy. People often whispered that they thought she was anorexic and it really bothered her). People who are naturally look a lot healthier than people who starve themselves.

I have terrible image problems, but I don't think I could go to those extremes. I'm constantly surrounded by people who worry so much over their weight. My boyfriend calls himself fat when he's tinier than me... and his friends call him chubby and whatnot. I know I'm not in any way, but I can never get his assurance. I know I look good in clothes, but I have such trouble.. ugh.

I just really hope my children never get to that level.

06.09.2012, 09:12 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks