QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Post your random thoughts here! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Today has been blah. Best friend who is American has been freaking out. My facebook is a mish mash..

11.09.2016, 07:33 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
ok, it sounds like a great argument. if I were to simplify it down to my level, could I say that you propose that american people are (and should keep) paying chinese for them to not start a war with you? this sounds like pretty bad position, to me, and if I was american and Trump promised me to get me out of that position... why not vote for him?

That is not exactly right. American people are not paying anything. It is that the price of american labor is much much higher than china. So in case of mass produced good the companies can not be competitive if they manufacture in america. Other developed countries solved this problem by educating people for technical job in STEM. America must go to the same route. What the working class people dont understand is although robotic manufacturing is more expensive than chinese labor but it is cheaper than american labor. Now the problem of china was started by America itself. In order to fight the countries behind the iron curtain( read USSR) it and its allies enriched china with money and technical assistance. If the wealth or education distribution was not concentrated in china then these problems would not have arisen in the first place. I dont think there is any possible way to confront china except war. They are economically, technologically, educationally and in terms of population the most advanced nation today. Ofcourse America is better in science and millitary but it wont be enough to stop 1.3 billion people. America can only compete in high end sectors, and thats where it should focus. China is creating many problems like blatantly breaking copyright. Lack of respect toward neighbor, but these problems can not be easily solved. If trump tries what he wants to do then world will just collapse into a unnecessary war. The whole world might get destroyed if nuclear warfare happens. America is in a bad position but it is not because of china but because American education system is so flawed. So american working class needs to understand rather than blaming china that they need to fix their education. And there are some people from KKK, Tea Party, liberal haters and the racist white people who voted for trump. They would get what they want. I would not have mind if only these people chose trump. But i feel deep sympathy for the working class in UK and now in USA who will beleived a blatant lie rather beleiving the harsh truth. The cost of living will increase a lot if they impose additional tax in foreign goods and these people will suffer the most.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 11.10.2016, 07:30 AM.

11.10.2016, 05:31 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
Other developed countries solved this problem by educating people for technical job in STEM. America must go to the same route.

You can sell this idea to millenials and, like the polls show, they were anti-Trump indeed. But, there are loads of old people there who will not die overnight and, as american proverb goes, it is too late to teach old dog new tricks. The way they see it, they worked their asses hard to make america great, and now america is telling them to gfts, or vote Trump, right?

quote:
I dont think there is any possible way to confront china except war.

What if someone could make their people to charge more for their jobs. Like, create some sort of inflation in China. I am not CIA operative specializing in economic sabotage, so I would not know if it's possible (as in: americans can do it).

quote:
And there are some people from KKK

Oh wow, I thought these ceased to exist a century ago. Like, those people wearing 卐 today are not real nazies, in the same way wearing stupid white hat does not make you KKK, does it?

quote:
The cost of living will increase a lot if they impose additional tax in foreign goods

and then so will their salaries, no? like you get 200K job in the valley right now straight out of uni because the rent is so high there.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

11.10.2016, 08:29 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Other developed countries solved this problem by educating people for technical job in STEM. America must go to the same route.

You can sell this idea to millenials and, like the polls show, they were anti-Trump indeed. But, there are loads of old people there who will not die overnight and, as american proverb goes, it is too late to teach old dog new tricks. The way they see it, they worked their asses hard to make america great, and now america is telling them to gfts, or vote Trump, right?

quote:
I dont think there is any possible way to confront china except war.

What if someone could make their people to charge more for their jobs. Like, create some sort of inflation in China. I am not CIA operative specializing in economic sabotage, so I would not know if it's possible (as in: americans can do it).

quote:
And there are some people from KKK

Oh wow, I thought these ceased to exist a century ago. Like, those people wearing 卐 today are not real nazies, in the same way wearing stupid white hat does not make you KKK, does it?

quote:
The cost of living will increase a lot if they impose additional tax in foreign goods

and then so will their salaries, no? like you get 200K job in the valley right now straight out of uni because the rent is so high there.

I basically agree with you on the core ideas just let me clear up on some issues

1. Chinese labor cost is increasing so they are moving those in other areas. like my country Bangladesh is the second largest garment exporter in the world, chinese businessmen are moving more of these businesses here. Some chinese manufacturing is going all robot. What i mean is chinese people are getting rich and so there is already inflation. They are moving to high-tech industry like Japan. So it will not do anything for those people in america. They will need to impose tax on the whole world.

2. You are not right about nazism or kkk. These are ideology, exactly same as terrorism. Just give these people one chance and they will break hell. It has been proven over and over in history.

3. Salary will rise momentarily, but American Services and Products mostly are not for domestic use. Think the car industry if they pay high they will need to sell high but in the global market how can they compete with Toyota or Tata where in one case the process is as efficient as it can get and in the other there is plenty cheap labor. And it does not matter if salary rises. It is the salary curve that determines the happiness in a salary. Think of it this way i get 50$ per month and expense is 45$. On the other hand i get 500$ per month and my expense is 495$. Earning more does not necessarily means better lifestyle, if it happens for a very large group of people( think the working class for example) . For small groups it is possible. Like in STEM sector job's pay is very very high. Still america does not get enough qualified people that they need to hire other people from outside. What american people dont understand is that the bar for middle class has been raised. you can not be a middle class working in a factory anymore. You need to be highly educated to be middle class. Other developed nations understood that and are taking that direction.

And i agree about old people. I just hope all older people were as intelligent and sensible as our husky.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

11.10.2016, 12:32 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

asking my self is it pointless to follow people with > 10000 followers. it is virtually impossible for them to notice anything you write them, unless they are looking at their mentions in exact moment when you tweet. it is pretty much one way street, even if they reply to 1000 people daily, for someone with 100000 followers it is just 1%. and I am following this guy with 223038 followers who does not even write in the language I can read (and bing translations mostly suck). should I make it 223037 followers? decisions, decisions.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

11.18.2016, 07:12 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I follow people on Twitter (which is very rarely) I'm not generally doing so under the presumption I'll be able to interact with them. It's more to keep up to date on their activities. If you want to talk to the guy, following on Twitter probably isn't going to do much for chances. If you just want to keep tabs on his work, then why not go ahead?

My Anime List

11.18.2016, 07:50 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
If you just want to keep tabs on his work, then why not go ahead?

That was the idea, however he is just tweeting how he goes around pimping your name, trying to make more money of it. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing interesting either.

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
When I follow people on Twitter (which is very rarely) I'm not generally doing so under the presumption I'll be able to interact with them.

Quite the opposite here, most of people I follow are not any kind of celebrities, and gladly interact. So, adding one way accounts to my feed seems very out-of-place.

11.18.2016, 10:44 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well... My ex emailed me out of the blue as if nothing has ever happened to ask if I remember how horrible his snoring is and if I remember what positions he slept when it was bad. I feel like puking.

11.23.2016, 07:32 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

aww, did not like his snorting that much?

why don't you focus on the good stuff when remembering him, and then just let the bad stuff keep you from getting back together.

sort of 'the night was so much fun, but the headache in the morning... never drinking that much again!"

Post last edited by makc on 11.23.2016, 07:41 PM.

11.23.2016, 07:39 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I spent too much time already idealizing the "good stuff" when I was with him. I'd rather not.

I forgot to block his email addresses when I was blocking all of his social media accounts and phone numbers. I'm just disturbed he would email me at all, and about such a thing. Makes my skin crawl.

11.24.2016, 01:07 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@FFF yeah it's probably best to block and ignore. I find it best to not make contact with certain exs...

11.24.2016, 08:21 AM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That pretty much is the way I handled my divorce. My sons were telling me what 'mom' was doing, etc., and I finally had to tell them that I didn't want to know where she was or what she was doing. And in the one time when we were both at one of my sons' homes for a grandkid birthday party, she tried to engage me in remembering a story and I told her no... I didn't remember the incident, but about a half-hour later, I related the same story to another guest... That second part wasn't intended, but it showed that it wasn't a memory loss...

Other than that, I haven't spoken to her or even seen her since then...

And I feel ok with that...

I feel that when we HAVE to be together at one of our children's homes, I will be cordial, but that is it... No shared memories, etc...

That said, FFF, do what you feel comfortable with...

edit:
spelling and first paragraph a bit.

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.30.2016, 12:32 PM.

11.24.2016, 11:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Definitely block him from e-mailing you. Er... can you do such a thing? I usually just tell my e-mail software that certain addresses are spam and set my spam box to auto-delete anything. Its the only way I know to not get crap from people/companies I don't want contact with.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.24.2016, 11:58 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

IMHO if you feel the need to actively avoid someone or something, you did not get over it. Of course, you can live your whole life running from your problems, but do not pretend you don't have them, at least.

11.24.2016, 03:34 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

1. Read a post about how millennials in west do not think democracy as a good system. They say they are more open to autocracy and military coup.

i wish some of them started trying to educate themselves or just try some autocracy from third world countries.

People without knowledge is more dangerous than people with genuine bad intent.

http://qz.com/848031/harvard-research-su...utm_source=qzfb

2. I feel sorry for all the footballers died in the plain crash. There has been many designs for safer aeroplanes but most of them were discarded because of cost will increase for airlines

3. I watched a movie on former USA pres. Lyndon Johnson. I liked some of his style(they way it was presented in the movie). But it also made me sad to see that racism still exists in the same states. I think american students should be given a one year education another country in a multi culture society then over time it can lessen.

11.30.2016, 11:16 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hopefully, my last post on the recent presidential election and I'm not looking for answers to this post, I'm merely expressing my outlook.

First, I was 100% against Trump or Clinton and voted fpr spmeone else. I felt that if I didn't vote, then I had no right to complain about the results...

That said, Trump won the election. The masses have spoken. That said, he is now the President-elect. All I could do was hope that he would modify some of his out-spoken rhetoric and promises. Regardless, when he is sworn in as President, I will support him in his office.

All we can do is to wait and see...

11.30.2016, 01:12 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

quote:
just try some autocracy from third world countries.

You mean, like UAE? Last time I checked, they were just fine:

Now, if you think to say, "but them got oil money" - that's exactly the point. It's not about who are in power, it's about how wealthy average Joe in the country is.

Post last edited by makc on 11.30.2016, 06:10 PM.

11.30.2016, 06:10 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I don't think I'll ever support Trump for a lot of reasons, but probably a good thing I'm not American. Then again, people are really calling our PM out on stuff he's done in recent months.

11.30.2016, 11:36 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
quote:
just try some autocracy from third world countries.

You mean, like UAE? Last time I checked, they were just fine:

Now, if you think to say, "but them got oil money" - that's exactly the point. It's not about who are in power, it's about how wealthy average Joe in the country is.

How exactly UAE is a third world country?

And that is not exactly autocracy it is actually monarchy.

While you are right about average income, you can only keep it high if you have some kind of free income( like oil, gold other resources etc). Most of the countries dont have that so.........

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.01.2016, 06:36 AM.

12.01.2016, 06:24 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

so you want to limit me to bad examples to prove that non-democracy is bad? seems a bit unfair to me (and to those 'millenials', I guess, although iirc the chart from the article ends with people born in 1980s).

how about we take a "third world democractic country" to prove that democracy is good? there are 100+ of them (unlike only 7 absolute monarchies), and they all are substandard by the metrics of western society. so, just maybe, democracy is not a silver bullet at all?

people want to live a better live, they dont necessary want to be in charge of that live. look at stay-at-home moms and house-wives, for one example.

hell, the whole point of assigning a representative is to have someone make the decisions for you, and forget about it. you know, just to get things done, by somebody else. noone wants to go out and clean up the mess in the street, they want to hire someone else to do that. same with the people in power. and it does not matter if the president is in power for 20 years, as long as he does his damn job.

Post last edited by makc on 12.01.2016, 08:52 AM.

12.01.2016, 08:42 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  «    ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks