QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  ...    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
hell, the whole point of assigning a representative is to have someone make the decisions for you, and forget about it. you know, just to get things done, by somebody else. noone wants to go out and clean up the mess in the street, they want to hire someone else to do that. same with the people in power. and it does not matter if the president is in power for 20 years, as long as he does his damn job.

You are forgetting that that someone can be cruel, dishonest and straight forward cheat. And if he is that in a rich country which has a lot of free income and low population then they can get away with it, like they did in the countries you are trying to mention. But in poor countries that means chaos and sufferings of millions of people.

POWER CORRUPTS PEOPLE. period

This is the absolute truth. So the minimum time you can keep someone there the better.

Democracy is not perfect but it has enough mechanism to maintain a check and balance on the people on power.

And most importantly from history i have hardly heard of a ruler who was a dictator and good. It basically is not possible.

quote:
people want to live a better live, they dont necessary want to be in charge of that live.

I would like to hear your ideas, please give some examples.

Your comment does not hold any real value. Literally everyone wants to live a great life. I mean i would love to become a billionaire, i dont care if someone manages me. Is it possible, no? The reality is every person wants justice. One person thinks that he should get what he deserves. If a govt can keep that in check then any kind of govt is really very good. However in case of autocracy such is not possible by its definition. So as a result it always causes problems.

Another important aspect of democracy is it represents people. If a govt is corrupt then it means that the population is just as corrupt as the goverment. If a govt is good then the people are good too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL,DR

I am not saying democracy is good however it has better mechanisms to protect its citizen than most other types of goverment.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.02.2016, 04:57 PM.

12.02.2016, 04:56 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
One person thinks that he should get what he deserves.
Right. Wrong! Noone thinks that he should get what he deserves. They get it right now. What everyone thinks is that they should find a way to get what they do not deserve. Which is why
quote:
POWER CORRUPTS PEOPLE.
and
quote:
i would love to become a billionaire,
for example

quote:
the minimum time you can keep someone there the better.
but why should people be involved? through the history, competition between powerful guys did a good job in that. kings were removed from power by assassinations, coups, wars, you name it. of course, these events could be violent, hundreds or even thousands may die in the process, but then it also sucks when they are sabotaging the whole country economy just to win the vote at next elections, for example.

what I am getting at is, those are the same people who compete for power under the democracy and under the king rule. same people, just the rule of the game are different for them. and for the average Joe it largely does not matter. and they slowly realize that, as your original article proves.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 12.04.2016, 09:32 PM.

12.04.2016, 09:24 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
One person thinks that he should get what he deserves.
Right. Wrong! Noone thinks that he should get what he deserves. They get it right now. What everyone thinks is that they should find a way to get what they do not deserve. Which is why
quote:
POWER CORRUPTS PEOPLE.
and
quote:
i would love to become a billionaire,
for example

You are basically saying the exact same thing i am saying. That is everyone likes to get more than he deserves but he must get what he deserve. If one does something that hinders people getting their fair share then you are creating chaos. And many third world nations are famous for that.

quote:
quote:
the minimum time you can keep someone there the better.
but why should people be involved? through the history, competition between powerful guys did a good job in that. kings were removed from power by assassinations, coups, wars, you name it. of course, these events could be violent, hundreds or even thousands may die in the process, but then it also sucks when they are sabotaging the whole country economy just to win the vote at next elections, for example.

what I am getting at is, those are the same people who compete for power under the democracy and under the king rule. same people, just the rule of the game are different for them. and for the average Joe it largely does not matter. and they slowly realize that, as your original article proves.

The thing is stability. If in a country there is constant tension of war, coups and assassination it is never good for economy. So people feel that for the stability over four or five years it can be allowed to sabotage economy say for a few months. Just look at all the war zones around the world. And also you can read about the world economy in pre-world war era.

And when war happens it is always the pawns(people) who get crushed. In many people's view democracy is in some case better than that.

And average joe never got a chance ever. But in democracy it possible for non-nobel slightly above average joe to be ruler. But in other kind of ruling non-nobels are prohibited.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

12.05.2016, 06:05 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

randomly bumped into this "everfilter" app. Claims to turn this

to this

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

12.06.2016, 09:22 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm sick and feeling out of it right now, but.. lol

Does anyone else here feel like they are destined to do great things? I've always had this strong pulling emotion like there is something great that I will accomplish since I was a child. It's something some people have noticed despite me always being quiet and sort of standing in the background. But it's such a strong feeling that I'm often scared of it and not sure how to embrace it or what it means.

12.10.2016, 12:18 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's never happened to me. Have you any inkling of what direction this feeling is pulling you? Arts? Sciences? Humanities?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.10.2016, 04:59 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hope you're feeling better soon, FFF...

I was told many times as i was growing up that I was being saved for good things... I guess this was because I survived Tuberculosis and on top of that a bout of Whooping Cough (Pertuaia)... Nearly drowning at the age of twelve as well as being hit by a drunk driver and in a coma for 3 days... I spent 4 good years in the Navy, finished my high school and got 2 yrs of college when I got out. Worked at a number of jobs for the rest of my life, married, have three wonderful kids and 19 grandkids.

I think that in my life that I have touched many people's lives, both male and female, and hopefully touched them in a helpful way. I am blessed with quite a number of good friends and acquaintances I was never a scholar, nor a scientist or an astronaut nor a politician, but just a guy that tried to get along in life in a goodly manner and instill the same feelings in my family.

I feel that my life has generally been a success...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.10.2016, 05:15 AM.

12.10.2016, 05:14 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
That's never happened to me. Have you any inkling of what direction this feeling is pulling you? Arts? Sciences? Humanities?

It's really a mix of many things. I'm not sure what exactly you would call it. It's something I've felt innately pulling at me since I was a child. Definitely in the arts, but also possibly humanities.

When I was graduating from high school my world issues teacher looked me in the eye and said I was someone destined to make great changes. It was really odd because it was one of the first times someone said what I had been feeling in my heart my whole life.

Especially when I am in a rut or feel kicked down that feeling just grows stronger rather than dimming. It's weird. lol

EDIT: I also feel strongly about trying to move to Japan to teach because I feel like that's where the feeling is telling me to start. Anytime I've felt discouraged against following this dream I meet someone or something happens that tells me this is something I must do. It would also offer me some of the momentary stability I've craved and the ability to be totally independent. But I almost think there's something waiting for me and that there will probably be some sort of major experience that will completely change me.

It's a very weird and unshakable feeling. As if everything in my life is leading me up to some sort of strong epiphany. The earliest I remember feeling this was when I was 7.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 12.11.2016, 02:14 PM.

12.10.2016, 10:30 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

As i am currently watching twelve kingdoms, i was trying to see if there was any discussion it in ghibli.

There was some mention of it. However i found this thread from eight years ago

http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/threa...id=5&page=2

where arren said

quote:
Fanservice is more widespread in anime than people think. This is because of the main audience for it. Until recently, (with shows like Honey and Clover popping up aimed at different audiences), most anime (other than mainstream shows like Doraemon and mainstream films (Ghibli)), were obscure and geared towards the so-called "otaku" crowd. The people in this subculture are associated with anime, "adult" dating sims, the "moe" trend, etc. And like it or not, most of the anime series in the past was aimed at them, which explains the fanservice. People usually get a shock when they hear that their favourite anime series was airing in Japan at 1 o'clock in the morning, because they thought it was a very popular prime-time show that all of Japan was watching. Many anime fans intentionally hide the fact that they watch anime because they will be shunned in society, as explained by one of those very people, over at Animesuki. And to be honest, looking at some of these fanservicey anime, and some of these "dating sims" , I can almost understand why.

If arren eight years ago thought that anime audience were starting to get diverse, then by now fanservice should have lessened. Rather it increased.

I saw this video from youtube which has some compelling ideas why is that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTBYMvLBbw

12.14.2016, 04:55 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Only the person who wrote what you've quoted can answer this completely and correctly but reading it for the first time in many years I would not suggest that the two words "until recently" imply that anime audiences were starting to get diverse and we'd see a decline in fanservice but exactly the opposite. "Until recently" implies that 'otaku' shows were then airing at late night adult TV slots and the implication is this is no longer the case... that more fanservice and 'otaku-friendly' anime are airing at earlier slots.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.14.2016, 07:33 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Only the person who wrote what you've quoted can answer this completely and correctly but reading it for the first time in many years I would not suggest that the two words "until recently" imply that anime audiences were starting to get diverse and we'd see a decline in fanservice but exactly the opposite. "Until recently" implies that 'otaku' shows were then airing at late night adult TV slots and the implication is this is no longer the case... that more fanservice and 'otaku-friendly' anime are airing at earlier slots.

Hmm, interesting. I would wait for arren's answer

12.15.2016, 12:33 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I should probably point out that that post wasn't actually me. Take another look - it was Theowne.

Anyway, I think that original post makes some decent points, but it maybe takes the "anti-otaku" angle too much at face value. Personally I think that way of looking at things is over-simplistic, and as time goes on that fact becomes more and more clear. I do think parts are right though.

I think I'd agree broadly with what Saddles is saying. Anime and other otaku interests becoming more mainstream might sound like those things changing to become what is usually seen as respectable, but really it's that mainstream audiences are now more accommodating to those interests. Hence, things that seemed like weird niche interests in the past are more openly available for general audiences these days.

12.15.2016, 10:07 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I should probably point out that that post wasn't actually me. Take another look - it was Theowne.

LOL

I dont know why it popped in my head, probably because saddletank's post was right below it. And i forgot there were other members back then.

Feeling pretty stupid right now.

NB: note to myself, dont post when you are sleepy.

quote:
I think I'd agree broadly with what Saddles is saying. Anime and other otaku interests becoming more mainstream might sound like those things changing to become what is usually seen as respectable, but really it's that mainstream audiences are now more accommodating to those interests. Hence, things that seemed like weird niche interests in the past are more openly available for general audiences these days.

on other note Are suggesting convergence?

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.15.2016, 11:11 AM.

12.15.2016, 11:09 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HELLO GUYS!!!! It's been a while!
Gosh, I miss this forum. How's everyone?

12.15.2016, 10:16 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, bel, welcome back... It's a pleasire to see you again

Doing well on this end... and yourself?

12.16.2016, 12:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by belborges
HELLO GUYS!!!! It's been a while!
Gosh, I miss this forum. How's everyone?

hey bel welcome back

i have been fine. How were you?

the forum is running with some key members. Everyone is getting busy as they finished their uni and started working

12.16.2016, 02:14 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm doing great! I'm on vacation now, so I'll focus on improving my art skills, discovering new things and spending time with my bf that unfortunately lives far away from me.

Post last edited by belborges on 12.19.2016, 04:06 PM.

12.19.2016, 04:05 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Happy New Year everyone! I think 2016 isn't likely to be a popular year looking back, but I hope the coming year is an improvement for you all!

01.01.2017, 10:29 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It has the potential to be a year of changes. For us in the UK Brexit negotiations start. For the middle east the Syria question really should be resolved after 5 years and IS may struggle (I hope) to survive any longer as a coherent body. The terrorist problem in Europe grows and grows; it needs to be dealt with even more robustly. The world waits with baited breath to see what Donald Trump's administration does, both domestically and internationally.

I hope as hard as its possible that the international scene does not degenerate further.

01.01.2017, 11:59 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Happy New Year, my friends. I wish you all the very best for it.

My Anime List

01.01.2017, 02:33 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks