QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have to confess it was a fair bit of work doing the behind the scenes stuff, so it would be awesome if someone else could do that this time - it doesn't have to be a lot of work, just a basic storyline and plot and the occasional PM to a player to guide them along (if we have a puzzle-based story that is). I suppose what I'm saying is we need a GM or Game Umpire or whatever they are called in RPGs.

What contemporary Ghiblis are there?

Whisper
Ocean Waves
Only Yesterday (these three are personal stories though without too much real world depth to build on)
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns (hm, that could be interesting)
Arietty (now that would be very different)

We could take some elements of other Ghiblis and place them in a modern setting:

Kiki (teenage witches!)
Laputa (a floating island appears, is it alien or from an ancient race?)
Totoro (forest spirits - benign or... otherwise?)
Pom Poko (tanukis! That could be a lot of fun. We could throw in some Uchouten Kazoku elements as well)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.19.2014, 10:31 AM.

07.19.2014, 10:31 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well the old, umm, universe (lol srsly?) kinda grew on its own. I came up with the idea, saddle added a backstory, but really the whole plot was due to the input of everyone. I still think the idea of an extra shadow is awesome enough for a real adaptation; I'd love to present it to maybe Stephen King.

That said, coming up with a new intriguing plot is not easy, and especially so if we decide on a puzzle-based backstory. You can't just wing a puzzle, it'll be too full of contradictions as the story develops, I think.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.19.2014, 12:59 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, if we're going to do this then it will take a good bit of discussion between all participants, and working lots of things out before starting.

Hard to strike that balance between having people wandering aimlessly and being too tightly bound up by the restrictions of the plot.

I agree with you, NC, that the Spirited Away universe might be cool. It's not too dissimilar to that of Uchouten Kazoku which I really need to get caught up on some time and as Saddles suggested we could easily incorporate elements from other Ghiblis like Kiki's Delivery Service and Laputa. I like the sounds of this.

My Anime List

07.19.2014, 02:20 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So we'll be doing a teenage witch who got spirited away to a floating castle?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.19.2014, 11:22 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I'd still prefer a new game set in the world of the old one, since everyone who was involved in that is roughly on the same page. If we use something else then we have to start by spending time working out how it'll all work.

We can have some kind of GM again, but we can also make it a little less rigid this time. We now know from experience that we're unlikely to see every plot thread through to the end, so it shouldn't matter so much if we meander a bit.

07.20.2014, 12:00 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It also looks like we'll only have about 5 characters, given the input from the forum so far.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.20.2014, 05:09 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Right. It's still a little premature.

07.20.2014, 07:54 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I think I'd still prefer a new game set in the world of the old one, since everyone who was involved in that is roughly on the same page. If we use something else then we have to start by spending time working out how it'll all work.

We can have some kind of GM again, but we can also make it a little less rigid this time. We now know from experience that we're unlikely to see every plot thread through to the end, so it shouldn't matter so much if we meander a bit.

I don't know if this is naive or whatever but...I actually think it'd be quite fun working out a new universe/general plot. Like, we could all pitch a few ideas and be creative and then as a group we can choose which elements we'd like to take forwards. If there are only 5 or so of us interested, it won't be too difficult to narrow down an idea which will please/satisfy everyone.

Personally as a Ghibli forum I also just think it'd be really neat to try and draw on the films for inspiration.

I don't know that I necessarily feel we need as fleshed out a plot as last time. If we can just decide on the 'universe', I think inspiration plot-wise will follow fairly easily. Maybe something spirit related?

For example it'd be really interesting to have a universe similar to that of Uchouten Kazoku where yokai exist, like tanukis and tengus? But also maybe Oni, and other mischievous spirits. There could be a limit to which players can see spirits or also which ones are tengu/tanuki/human?

Just a thought! If others are similar to Arren and want to return to the old universe, that is a-ok with me~

07.20.2014, 10:10 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to break the line of thought currently here, but I couldn't think of any otherplace to post this...

When I made my post in "True/False", This question popped into my mind...

Are there any mountains or mountain ranges anywhere in what is called the British Isles (I'm probably using the wrong term)? How high are they?

07.21.2014, 09:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

The British Isles is Great Britain, Ireland, and the various smaller surrounding islands.

Anyway, there are the Cairngorms (and presumably others in the Highland which I cannot name), the Pennines, and probably others. I expect there's at least one in Wales too.

07.21.2014, 10:14 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Snowdonia National Park has the highest peak in Wales, Mount Snowdon. Its not that high as a train runs to the summit

The Brecon Beacons in the south of Wales are pretty bumpy in places. The SAS and paras train there

07.21.2014, 10:56 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, I knew there was Snowdon, so I assumed there would be something around there though I didn't know any name. I forgot about the Brecon Beacons.

07.21.2014, 11:44 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you, both...

07.21.2014, 03:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd love to join an rpg. Thanks for reminding people with the pic, Kaz.

07.22.2014, 10:10 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

It was a lot of fun when we did it before, but there was quite a bit of work involved too, especially from Saddles and the people that got heavily wrapped up in the plot. When some of the more important players became too busy it kinda petered out though.

A while ago I nearly changed my avatar because we weren't playing it anymore, but I'm glad I stuck with it, as a reminder of that time.

07.23.2014, 03:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

See new thread.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.23.2014, 06:08 AM.

07.23.2014, 06:07 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyone here use Twitter? I just made an account the other day (needed it to play a game) and I don't know, I kind of like it. So... yeah, if anyone has it, we could follow each other~.

My Anime List

08.01.2014, 09:45 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Anyone here use Twitter? I just made an account the other day (needed it to play a game) and I don't know, I kind of like it. So... yeah, if anyone has it, we could follow each other~.

I'll follow you. :3

08.01.2014, 02:46 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami

I'll follow you. :3

Yay, thank you! Not talking to myself anymore. :'> Followed you back.

My Anime List

08.01.2014, 02:54 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Arren empty your inbox!

08.09.2014, 08:47 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
[  «    ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks