QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

First of all, let me apologize ahead of time if this offends anyone. It shouldn't, but if it does, let me know and I wil delete it, or Roar can.

All this talk about "Fifty Shades of Grey" going on and a dear lady friend sends this little joke on from a friend in Australia.
====================================

Australian story....................................

Four blokes have been going to the same ‘roo shooting trip for many years.

Two days before the group is to leave, Sam's wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn't going.

Sam's shooting mates are very upset that he can't go, but what can they do?

Two days later, the three get to the camping site to find Sam sitting there with a tent set up, firewood gathered, dinner cooking on the fire, and having a cold beer.

"Jesus Sam, how long you been here, and how did you talk your missus into letting you go?"

"Well, I've been here since last night. Yesterday evening, I was sitting in my living room chair and my wife came up behind me and put her hands over my eyes and asked, "Guess who?"

I pulled her hands off, and there she was, wearing a sheer nightie. She took my hand and pulled me into our bedroom. The room had candles and rose petals all over.

Well, she's been reading that book, "50 Shades of Grey." On the bed, she had handcuffs and ropes!
She told me to tie her up and cuff her to the bed, so I did. And then she said, "Do whatever you want."

So, Here I am!
============================

I'm still laughing!!!

02.23.2015, 01:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Roar - I would argue that philosophy and self-help books help to articulate and explore that which already makes sense to people. If it doesn't make sense to them and they can't believe it, it won't affect their mindset and behaviour, will it? Plus holy books are somewhat exceptional in having massive institutions to support them. Speaking of massive institutions, I have a feeling that society and government have more of a stake in causing antisocial behaviour than cartoons.

02.23.2015, 03:34 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
The fact that one media has been so generally accepted to be able to mold the human mind
Generally accepted? By who? Where does that claim come from?

I don't see your argument at all, where is it given that books shape anything? People are individuals, not some hive-mind and each is affected by that which has the ability to affect them, because of their specific circumstances whether that's a book, poem, film, music, a lover, a friend or an experience such as being involved in an accident or a war.

By far the greatest influence on anyone is when they are a small child; the adult is formed by the age of about 6 in most cases and therefore the parents/parenting or lack of is what makes people into antisocial types or violent criminals.

The generalisation that books have affected humanity is a very wild and unsatisfactory one. Also fiction has been around far longer than non-fiction; made-up stories were told around primitive campfires long before humans had writing, let alone printing.

As for Takahata not being awarded an Oscar I seriously suspect half the panel of judges haven't even heard of him.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.23.2015, 04:07 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i wanted to write a long post. sorry if this does not make sense.

I am giving some clues.

1. books gives you view points(or angles) to assess a scenario so rather than saying violent games make you violent you should say it makes you less alergic(correct term here) to violence

2. and as for arrens point, it counts definitely ideas need institution to flourish. but that does not mean the ideas in these book does not have some. you can consider criminal organizations and similar activities as a major associate of antisocial behavior. their influence even surpass that of religious inst. .

3. and saddle even if person is individual society does not have individuality(general sense) so ideas of individuals do have tremendous effect on the society. This changes norm and cultures. Use of drugs for a example was not widely accepted as accedptable. Why that happened drug are still dangerous and is killing people.

4. and books inspire thinking see the famous inventions. they did those because

a. generally not harmful to people
b. useful
c. no law broken
4. high profit
anto social behavior will be no if it has similar characteristics

hope you guys got it

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

02.28.2015, 03:07 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Huh, the Korean teaching programs seemed to have changed their requirements now. Aw well. I was hoping to go there first, but I don't mind going there later on when I have a bit of experience and can afford the certificates. I guess I'll apply to teach in Japan first then. :I A bit nervous over that but everyone keeps hankering me to go there first. lmao So maybe this is a sign.

I'm just afraid to get my hopes up because most of the students from my school apply get interviews and get accepted to positions. Some turn them down, I've noticed, to go to grad school, etc. So I have friends and people I'm involved with in my volunteer program who can help. I'm just scared I won't be able to save up enough money to go. @A@;; I'm really trying to find one or two jobs for the school year, but that's still not really enough. And my boyfriend has been looking for short term related work for me to do. One pays a heck of a lot of good money for just working one month in the summer, which I now desperately want to attempt doing next summer. He got in contact with the organizers who are willing to talk to me about the program (he does this normally without asking and will be like, "Oh btw I contacted so-and-so about this. They want to talk to you". lol

I think my worst nightmare is being told to live in a new apartment and having to save up enough money to afford that. We'll see how it goes. It's just me being super anxious about everything. Also plane ticket. I think the meeting point for me is Montreal. So I have to save up a bit for that and also to do interviews. @.@;;

I'm not sure why I'm worrying about this so much now. I think it's because I'm kind of being pressured to decide what to do after university, and since I already have an idea(s) it's now just working towards following those ideas out.

What sort of Japanese textbooks do you guys recommend? My school offers Japanese but I have no room to take the courses. >.< I might try, although I've taken one course already but a long while ago. I have a ton of people to practice with in town so there's no problems that way and I hear Japanese regularly.

03.04.2015, 10:28 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hearing the spoken language is good, FFF. I remember when I was taking Spanish in college our daily homework was to listen to at least 15 minutes of Spanish speaking television and 30 minutes of Spanish radio...

Have you ever noticed (everyone) that when a person is speaking Spanish, it seems like they can go on and on and on without taking a breath? That is because Spanish is a very 'soft' language. I will give you an example.

Take a match and light it. Now hold it up in front of your lips (not too close ) and count to 10 in English. By the time you've said 2 or 3, the match is blown out.

Now, do it again, only with Spanish. You can count indefinitely and the flame hardly wavers...

03.04.2015, 12:35 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that with Spanish. lol What would Japanese be considered? It always comes across as soft and flowing.

I hear a lot of Japanese due to the work I'm involved in and that a lot of my personal friends are Japanese. So I'm lucky that way.

Also, it would appear I may have been the only one who applied for certain jobs within one program at my school. My friend told me that, since she went to talk to them about it. She wanted to apply but I'm getting the feeling she doesn't want to take the position from me in some way, and also she's doing advanced studies and won't have free time to work while doing her thesis. Aw well. Now I'm just excited and nervous waiting.

I know all the duties and messaged the girl currently doing the job.

03.04.2015, 03:10 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think for a lot of jobs like that expenses will be covered. I know JET pays for you to go to Japan, and I think maybe to the orientation as well? They don't cover travel expenses for the interview unfortunately - at least not here. But maybe other organisations will cover more.

03.04.2015, 04:30 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I think for a lot of jobs like that expenses will be covered. I know JET pays for you to go to Japan, and I think maybe to the orientation as well? They don't cover travel expenses for the interview unfortunately - at least not here. But maybe other organisations will cover more.

Ah, I was looking at the website for Canadian JETs and they said they'll pay for our tickets from "designated" airports. Most of the JETs from my area had to fly to Montreal or Toronto I think, I'll ask my friends. So that's still going to cost me 400-500$ of my own money. I don't live near any international airports so that's probably the reason why. Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but I'm sure I know someone who can answer that. We also have regular sessions from former JETs from my area who visit the school so I can ask them as well.

It makes sense though since they want us to fly together or something? Most of our flights connect to Montreal and then it goes from there. Montreal wouldn't fly to Japan directly though, we'd still have to switch in Toronto or something. lol But it seems like the meeting place.

03.05.2015, 08:54 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Yeah they do fly everybody there together, because then there's further orientation upon your arrival in Tokyo (and maybe even more orientation when you get to your prefecture! It sounded like this part is tedious), but I did think they might pay for you to get to that meeting point?

03.05.2015, 01:18 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Haha, I'm trying to find where it says it on the Canadian website but now I can't find it. Maybe they do. lol I sure hope they will.

The job I may do for a month or so before JET next summer will give me training as well (if I get in), which might be useful. Although I know what to expect because of friends in JET. I have zero expectations besides that I'll make the best of my situation and life there. haha My conversation partner was asking me if I might teach there. So she's hoping I will and that I'll start practicing Japanese.

Is it hard to renew over one year? I will probably want to do it for at least two years.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 03.05.2015, 08:23 PM.

03.05.2015, 08:23 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

From what I understand, renewing is very easy, as I guess they'd ideally want to keep people they have already. So unless there's a reason for you not to continue I expect it's no problem.

03.05.2015, 08:58 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh, that's good then. Hopefully if I get in I'll have a good school and not live anywhere too expensive. Being able to renew easily will ease my worries over debt repayment. Most of my salary is going to have to go towards that, but the good news is I'll be able to afford traveling there much easier than where I live in Canada. I'll also be able to visit my boyfriend's family for a fraction of the cost that it would be from here. I know enough people near Tokyo and Osaka though that if I ever wanted to go to those places they'd take me.

Where are you hoping they'll place you? I hope you hear back soon. I'm not sure when CIRs hear back.

My boyfriend may work full time with a company he interned with. They focus on education here in Canada. I may try to get a job with them someday. We talk a lot about the problems with teaching English and what it encompasses. One of my friends teaching is frustrated by stereotypes of westerners and feels she's not doing enough. I think that may be common for a lot of teachers. But I wonder if she realizes this happens in Canada a lot as well... It's not an issue she can "fix" on her own. She's just, well, she's just a teacher. She doesn't have the authority of the Japanese teachers. Stuff like that. I get her frustrations but she's just one person. I think it can be problematic where you try to make yourself into a super teacher in a way and think you have a ton of authority or influence as a westerner. e.e But I didn't want to tell her that..

03.06.2015, 08:28 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Ah, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm hoping to be able to return to Kansai or at least be somewhere within easy reach by train. It's unusual to get your requested location though, so I dunno...

We're meant to hear from them next month, but they don't say what kind of time. Placement information won't come until May though.

03.10.2015, 02:27 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Ah, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm hoping to be able to return to Kansai or at least be somewhere within easy reach by train. It's unusual to get your requested location though, so I dunno...

We're meant to hear from them next month, but they don't say what kind of time. Placement information won't come until May though.

Eh, really? The people I know were placed where they requested or fairly close/in the same region. But I think it's because they were overly specific. I know it's usually rare, so it's kind of funny that people I know got where they wanted. CIR positions would be a bit different, I suppose.

Kansai region would be good for me too since most people I know are there. Although I don't really mind where they put me as long as I'm not in a huge city. I'd like anything that doesn't involve me getting a car. Put me in the distant countryside as long as I don't have to get a bloody car to get food or to work. Or have mercy on the people around me. I don't have a Canadian license so that actually might mean they won't? Oh god, please. I can't afford the Japanese license..

My friend just applied for his teaching license to be a JTE~. ^0^ I know he'll get in, he'll find out this month. Woo! I have another friend who should be applying for her license too to be a JTE, but I don't know her as well. I might know a few more who will be too.

My best friend will be heading back there the same time I would if I get a job. She's not sure what sort of job she'll get when she goes back to Japan. They hold hiring sessions for overseas Japanese in Boston so that they don't miss out on being able to get work after they finish their studies. My friend went in the fall with some other girls to check it out and ask the interviewers questions and what they would like from future prospective employees when she goes again for the conference-thingy this year. Some of my Japanese friends have kind of odd jobs for their character. I know one girl who has been pretty successful. She landed a really good hotel job that's somehow lead her into living in other countries. She's a sweetheart and really quirky, so I'm looking forward to reuniting with her and other friends.

I think what I look forward to most is being able to reunite with people. It'll take a long while before I can get to meeting up with most of them since they're spread out. I just really need to practice Japanese. lol Hopefully I get the jobs working with Japanese students for the next year. I never have time to get to know more than a few of the students in the programs despite meeting them all. I'm not very extroverted like some of the people in the program, so I'm a bit worried that way.

03.10.2015, 05:52 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

They'll only give you a position where you need to drive if you're qualified to do so. They don't give anything where you need to do something extra to be able to do it.

03.10.2015, 08:48 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey! How are you guys? Do you remember me???????? Sorry I disappeared for millions of years.

I figured the best place to say hello was the random thoughts thread.

03.12.2015, 02:08 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome back! How could we forget you?

Once a Tavern member, always a Tavern member.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 03.12.2015, 04:31 AM.

03.12.2015, 04:30 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Even if they do get OLD!!! lol, look at me!!! (shut-up, Saddles and Roar)...

So happy to see you, again...

03.12.2015, 09:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yay! Kiki! It's Yay Kiki!

Somehow that sentence sounds really right and wrong at the same time.

@husky: Nah, you're not old. Just finishing the fermentation process

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.12.2015, 07:39 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks