QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.19.06
  Post your random thoughts here!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by IluvHowl06 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, if you have any random thoughts or wonders, post them here! I'm interested in the thoughts of all souls!!!

06.09.2006, 03:28 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Will random facts do? If so, here are some really interesting ones (well, I think they are anyway!!);

A Blue Whale's tongue weighs as much as an elephant!

The largest living thing in the world is the Honey Mushroom in Oregon! It covers 2,200 acres (it was originally thought to be many seperate mushrooms, but they are all connected under the soil, and are one huge organism) and is between 2000 and 8000 years old!

The driest place on earth is the Dry Valleys Region in Antarctica!! They are free from ice and snow, and it has not rained there for 2 million years!! Antarctica is therefore the windiest, coldest, driest and wettest place in the world!!

06.09.2006, 06:44 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by IluvHowl06 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

whoa!!!

06.10.2006, 12:55 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by IluvHowl06 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So...are there any "Xiaolin Showdown" fans out there? It's a kid's show, but it's my favorite!

06.10.2006, 02:02 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
Tehanu
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tehanu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So Spirited Sen, I suppose the Giant Honey Mushroom is endangered or something? Otherwise imagine the HUGE event you could stage, like a giant Iron Chef competitive cook-fest with thousands of invited celebrity guests to eat the thing in one sitting.

06.11.2006, 12:13 AM Tehanu is offline   Profile for Tehanu Add Tehanu to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I kinda wondering if that valley in antarctica is the only tundra in the world, or otherwise like the africa, where a large continuous desert (or in this case tundra) is simply "split up" and each part named individually.

For my own thoughts:

A perpetual motion machine (a machine that moves on its own and never stops) is said to be theoretically impossible, because of natural opposing forces like friction and inertia.

However, did you know that while it is also true that thousands of attempts to create one has failed, there are actually a few that has actually been created? One of the few early pioneers of the practical creation of a perpetual machine (that I remember) is Tesla.

Working or not, being in the real world, the ideas are shot down but two main parties: jealous egotistical parties and greedy merchants.

The latter is easier explained. Put simply, if energy can be created for free, then the nuclear industry and ESPECIALLY the oil industry will suffer a horrendous loss.

The former is a little harder. Since the principle of physics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, many scientists will just scoff at the very idea of such a machine. So any that actually has the ability to work, or the potential, is immediately shot down and kicked out like garbage. And it doesn't help that the patent office is also somewhat in the league.

Note that I am simply just retyping what I read in a book about the history of this supposed impossible machine.

So here's the good part.

Perpetual motion is impossible because of opposing forces. Or to be more exact, opposing forces exerting a larger force than the forces helping the machine to move.

But what if the positive force is larger than the negative force?

The basic idea is: since the machine, or rather the mechanism itself, cannot create more energy than the opposing forces (this is unfortunately an undeniable fact so far), then all we have to do is to create a mechanism that DRAWS energy from external forces.

In this case, theoretically, this is VERY possible. Simply because we have been doing it for centuries. Hint: windmills and waterwheels.

Now, while wind and water is fine, they are available only in selected places. The problem then is to find an external energy source that is available anywhere, and better yet, can be brought everywhere (for automobiles).

The solution is absurdly simple: gravity, magnetism, static electricity, atmospheric and ground current, etc etc. The only problem is the question of how to harness these energy.

And here's the BEST part.

I'm attempting it.

Stay tuned for part two

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.11.2006, 11:28 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, Roarkiller, that is interesting. I understood everything you said, but that doesn't mean I don't have questions.

Obviously, I'm not expecting you to divulge your secrets of science here, but what are you planning to convert the 'captured energy' into? Electrical energy? Heat energy?

You asked, what happens if the positive force is greater than the opposing force. First off, as I'm sure you know, you'd nead energy to start this whole thing going, and second off, it'd just accelerate.

The sources you mentioned that you were going to harness. None of them have a particulary large amount of potential energy. Dropping a piane from a skyscraper isn't going to provide the mechanism with any energy worth thinking about. The other sources aren't really going to provide much useful energy either. At least, not on the scale that could be used to healp the world's energy problems.

In my opinion, Nuclear Power all the way!

Good Luck with it, Roarkiller

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.11.2006, 12:00 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

i had never known those things - i just researched a bit more on that biome

06.12.2006, 09:57 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nuclear energy is one of the most inefficient energy sources to ever exist. It consumes dangerous substances, gives out dangerous substances and still only gives us an efficiency of only around 10%.

The only other source in competition I can think of is solar energy, which has around the same efficiency rate.

The current buzz in the world of perpetual motion is magnetic energy. Even with the misconception that magnets store large amounts of energy (it doesn't), you can't refute the fact that it has strange attractive and repulsive forces, which unbelievably, is still not quite understood today.

The basic idea is to create a circle of magnets outside and a magnet inside. The push and pull from the ring will turn the magnet inside. There hasn't been a working megnetic motor (as it's called) yet, but it's by far the most alluring.

A full explanation of my idea will take some time, but take note that I'm doing this with hardly any solid ground of physics knowledge, so it may be a total failure. But searching around the net has garnered me zero finds for the design I'm using (it's around the same, and yet it's different).

EDIT: Well I'll be damned. There's already a design AND a patent for a design somewhat similar to mine, and supposedly workable.

http://www.rexresearch.com/kawai/1kawai.htm

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 06.14.2006, 09:48 AM.

06.12.2006, 11:56 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow Roarkiller, thats super sweet what you're doing to benefit mankind! Your name isn't Ray Steam by any chance, is it?

On an unrelated note, did you know that the word 'cat' comes from the latin word 'catulus'? However, 'catulus' actually means 'dog', or more correctly, 'puppy'!!
Weird, huh?!!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 06.15.2006, 08:22 AM.

06.15.2006, 08:20 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ummmmmm, im thinking about a ciggerette, is my step sister sleeping in the luange room, is the fire still burning, i hate winter, dammit ive gotta wear boots to school becuase my shoes are completely fucked, my Holden hat, what music im gonna pt on now & i caan't wait untill holidays (next week!),
& howcome everytime im in a good mood at school & joking around with ppl (thats right, THUG being sociable) they think im drunk? just cuz im in a good mood 4 once lol, computer speakers + THUG & some tape & scissors = amplifyer, Dad's reclaiming his speakers of my cd player & i miss my old dog Lucky, who i get to see on the holidays

cheers

06.16.2006, 10:00 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

& my avatars soooooooo cool, my lil nun praying, i could watch that ALL day lol

cheers

06.16.2006, 10:01 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
Wow Roarkiller, thats super sweet what you're doing to benefit mankind! Your name isn't Ray Steam by any chance, is it?

On an unrelated note, did you know that the word 'cat' comes from the latin word 'catulus'? However, 'catulus' actually means 'dog', or more correctly, 'puppy'!!
Weird, huh?!!

I have no idea who Ray Steam is 0_o On benefitting mankind, that ain't exactly my goal. I'm just known for being unconventional, and doing something that world-renown scientists couldn't achieve for decades is unconventional enough, especially when everyone believes it's like turning lead into gold.

On the bright side, is an idea similar to mine supposedly has a working prototype, that means my idea is feasible too. Yay!

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.17.2006, 09:49 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Phyrra
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
it's like turning lead into gold.

Which we can do, using a partical accelerator. Although the proceedure would cost much, much more than the profit from selling the newly made gold...

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.17.2006, 11:35 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

quote:
I have no idea who Ray Steam is 0_o

Ray Steam is the main character from Steamboy! He receives a mysterious metal ball containing a new form of energy capable of powering an entire nation! Watch it...you'll get the reference, he too wants to do the best for mankind with the tools he has!
Can't believe you haven't seen Steamboy, Otomo's first movie since Akira...you have to watch it!

Some more random facts for you all;

Pistachio nuts and walnuts can spontaneously combust, and are included in maratime rules as possibly flammable cargo!

10 times more people are killed by coconuts than by sharks each year!

Roman women wore nail varnish made from lizards' blood. If they wanted to be blonde, they bleached their hair with pigeon droppings. If, on the other hand, they wanted to dye their hair black, they used a paste made from leeches!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 06.17.2006, 05:56 PM.

06.17.2006, 03:11 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Nuclear energy is one of the most inefficient energy sources to ever exist. It consumes dangerous substances, gives out dangerous substances and still only gives us an efficiency of only around 10%.

The only other source in competition I can think of is solar energy, which has around the same efficiency rate.

The current buzz in the world of perpetual motion is magnetic energy. Even with the misconception that magnets store large amounts of energy (it doesn't), you can't refute the fact that it has strange attractive and repulsive forces, which unbelievably, is still not quite understood today.

The basic idea is to create a circle of magnets outside and a magnet inside. The push and pull from the ring will turn the magnet inside. There hasn't been a working megnetic motor (as it's called) yet, but it's by far the most alluring.

A full explanation of my idea will take some time, but take note that I'm doing this with hardly any solid ground of physics knowledge, so it may be a total failure. But searching around the net has garnered me zero finds for the design I'm using (it's around the same, and yet it's different).

EDIT: Well I'll be damned. There's already a design AND a patent for a design somewhat similar to mine, and supposedly workable.

http://www.rexresearch.com/kawai/1kawai.htm

Sorry, but perpetual motion is IMPOSSIBLE. It violates the second law of thermodynamics. As far as patents are concerned, one could patent a time machine--but that doesn't mean it will work.

A permanent magnet is capable of doing work (exerting a force on a mass for a distance), hence it is stored energy. However, a permanent magnet (as they alluded to in the document) is not really permanent and it took work to align the molecules in the first place. The work it took to align the molecules was greater than the work the aligned molecules can create, so there's never a net positive energy output.

06.17.2006, 09:56 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

See what I mean, people. There are disbelievers even here.

Apparently, from the link I provided, not only has over-unity been confirmed to exist, they actually have a WORKING PROTOTYPE in existence.

In fact, the office for international patents has openly declared that they will NEVER issue a petent for design claiming over-unity or perpetual motion, yet they issued the patent.

And dballred, physics laws aren't always confirmed. Look at the wave theory, and the electron-proton electricity mistake. Both are examples of physiscs "rules" that supposedly cannot be wrong, and yet it was discovered years later that they weren't perfect.

It's pretty much the same as the "fact" that the north pole is at the Arctic, until you realize that the north point of the compass is attracted to the SOUTH. Not to mention the fact that discoveries of magnetic fields under the sea reveals that the Earth's magnetic poles was once REVERSED; i.e. the north pole was once the south pole, and vice versa.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 06.18.2006, 08:36 AM.

06.18.2006, 08:33 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Did anyone just watch the Japan vs Croatia World Cup match? Japan were so unlucky! I mean, what about the ref deflecting the ball in the dying minutes when Japan were SO close to scoring??!! Rematch!! Was the ref flipping Croatian or something??!! I am not a happy bunny!!

06.18.2006, 10:54 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

i didnt watch it but i heard Australia kicked Japans ass in their game

06.18.2006, 11:12 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by I-B4-E THUG
i didnt watch it but i heard Australia kicked Japans ass in their game

Only in the final minutes, until then, Japan were wiping the pitch with them! They only lost cos of the heat and exhaustion...the Australians are more used to that sort of climate! Doesn't matter though...retribution will come when Australia lose miserably to Brazil in a couple of hours!! HA HA!!

06.18.2006, 11:28 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks