QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Fansubs, anyone!?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Fansubs, anyone!? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
Fansubs, anyone!?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm sure you all know what fansubs are ~ but what are your opinions of them? They violate copyright laws, but they do allow non-Japanese speakers to enjoy animé that they would otherwise be unable to. Do you think that they are ethically right or wrong?

I'm torn on the matter. People get to see animé they couldn't have seen otherwise. Then I find out that the legality is no better or worse than piracy of a licensed film or animé... Personally, I'm always against piracy... but are fansubs different? I don't know, how about you?

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.10.2006, 08:21 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I must admit that I have no problem with piracy (yar, pieces of eight!!) I download quite a bit of stuff, and I think fansubs are a labour of love, rather than a criminal offence! The way I see it, there's nothing wrong with getting a couple of free movies or albums from these multi-million dollar companies, that overcharge us for the stuff to begin with! I mean, you really think a £20 DVD costs £20 to make? I doubt it!!

06.10.2006, 09:05 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
I must admit that I have no problem with piracy (yar, pieces of eight!!) I download quite a bit of stuff, and I think fansubs are a labour of love, rather than a criminal offence! The way I see it, there's nothing wrong with getting a couple of free movies or albums from these multi-million dollar companies, that overcharge us for the stuff to begin with! I mean, you really think a £20 DVD costs £20 to make? I doubt it!!

Licensing fees, distribution fees, copyright fees, legal fees and workers' paychecks all contribute to the price, actually. In fact, they make up more than 70% of the total cost (assuming we are talking about the foreign DVDs, not the R2). So around £6 of the remaining would go to the actual production of the cost, and so plus paying for the raw materials, then adding the profit percentage that shops take in to actually make a living, the cost would be somewhere there.

A very sad but true fact.

I'm a heavy leecher, I admit, but only cuz the only other alternative I have, other than importing through online shops, is to but bootlegs. Granted, there are quite a few titles licensed in my country, but the selection's limited to the more streamlined anime like Naruto and the stuff.

So obviously, between buying bootlegs and downloading, I think the choice is pretty clear.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.11.2006, 11:04 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Licensing fees, distribution fees, copyright fees, legal fees and workers' paychecks all contribute to the price, actually. In fact, they make up more than 70% of the total cost (assuming we are talking about the foreign DVDs, not the R2). So around £6 of the remaining would go to the actual production of the cost, and so plus paying for the raw materials, then adding the profit percentage that shops take in to actually make a living, the cost would be somewhere there.

I think this would be a fair argument is the DVD's were distributed by a tiny, independant company, but the distribution companies make billions of dollars a year. Can you tell me a single multi-national that sells things for what they are actually worth? Of course not, otherwise they wouldn't make a profit...that's kinda the crux of business!
If I can buy 100 blank DVD'S for £10, how much do you think the distributors buy them for? For an example of cost, it costs McDonalds 12p for a 6 box of nuggets that they sell for 99p! All the corporations are all the same...out to make money in any way they can!

Sorry if this is controversial, maybe it's because I don't have any moral objections to piracy, but I see nothing wrong with free downloads. I hate the companies that take pirates to court...they're just annoyed they're not making as much money as they want, even though they make billions! As David Hume, the Scottish philosopher said 'Avarice is the spur of industry'.

06.11.2006, 03:30 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Be careful what you say... two boys from my school were discussing, on the bus, a movie they had downloaded and seen (piracy)...

It just so happened that the man sitting behind them in the bus was a lead government copyright lawyer.

Anyway, this lawyer comes into school and tells the headmaster about the two boys' conversation. We get told in assembally that we must not pirate (a message which changed no-one's actions) and to keep quite about illegal activity while on public transport...lest government lawyers hear about it...

But then again, SpiritedSen, I don't pirate because if I had created some software, a game, a movie or a song, then I would hate knowing that so many thousands of people had downloaded it illegally, without paying me for my labour...

Fansubs are different. I don't believe that they should be illegal. Trouble is, they are, and that won't change until I become Prime Minister...

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.11.2006, 03:49 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phyrra
I don't believe that they should be illegal. Trouble is, they are, and that won't change until I become Prime Minister...

Vote for Phyrra!

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

06.12.2006, 02:25 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks