QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - spiderman 3 teaser trailer, hot out of oven
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions spiderman 3 teaser trailer, hot out of oven Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  spider 3 teaser trailer, hot out of ovenPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/spider-man_3/

was just posted more than an hour ago

superheroes are always so complicated

06.27.2006, 05:14 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  boooPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't like Spiderman kudos on finding the trailer though.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

06.27.2006, 05:22 PM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

kool i luv spiderman es such a dude perfer batman tho es just da best

06.27.2006, 05:34 PM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
Boooooooo!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hate Spiderman! Couldn't watch the trailer (cos in my opinion, Quicktime sucks ass and never works!) but the moody black and white wallpaper is SO trying to rip off Batman, and as you all know, I love Batman with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns!
Honestly, what's so heroic about being bitten by a spider? He did NOTHING to get his powers, just designed that gay leotard he wears! Batman had to work, train and sweat blood for every one of his skills...not just get bitten by a spider or come from space or get caught in radiation! They're all rubbish...BATMAN RULES!!

06.27.2006, 07:27 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol! *siiigh*
o well, im not a big fan either I cant stand tobey maguire

06.27.2006, 09:09 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Sunchaser
Totoro

Registration Date: 02.22.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sunchaser Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i don't like spiderman....and ur right, UO i can't stand tobey maguire either...however you spell that...and quicktime is retarted for me

First signature made by kittycatjess. Thank you so much!
Second signature also made by kittycatjess...it's our joint sig!
Third signature made by mpw3d . Thank you!

06.28.2006, 08:24 PM Sunchaser is offline   Profile for Sunchaser Add Sunchaser to your buddy list Send an Email to Sunchaser
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I actually think that spider man is the best out of all these marvel superheros...

I think this not because of the silk that spews from his wrists, nor the costume, nor the fact that he can swing from building to building ~ I say this because 'peter parker' (was that the guy's name???) actually has to battle with two lives. He has to be a superhero, and a student with all the bits that come with both lives...

The two lives are different, and, although Spiderman is rather low in my listings of great films and cartoons ~ it's the double life he leads that appeals to me...

No, I am not a spiderman fanatic ~ I just think that some of you are being a bit harsh to a guy who doesn't even exist...

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.29.2006, 12:09 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just watched the trailer (I love quicktime) and it's given me another reason to perfer spiderman to the other cartoon and film superheroes...

The film rotates around the 'battle within'.

I really hope that the film may turn around expectations and provide thought provoking responses to man's alter-ego trapped inside. A "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" type examination...

That's what I'm hoping for. "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" is one of my favourite novels ~ will the spiderman three go into the darkness trapped in each one of us? If so, this could be a really good film...

If not... then I'll take back what I said in defense of spiderman...

Batman was a good film ~ not sure about the cartoons ~ never seen any of them perhaps I should, SpiritedSen? You seem to like them!?

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.29.2006, 12:25 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Phyrra, you don't know what you're missing!! You have to watch the cartoons, but to know the real Batman, you have to read the comics.
Batman has the greatest internal turmoil of all superheros...after the brutal murder of both his parents, right in front of him, when he was a child...he is torn between the light and the dark. He wants to live his life and be happy, but feels compelled to torture himself nightly by going out and saving unknown people, in just the way that he could not save his parents.
He is consumed equally by revenge and doing what's right, punishing the wicked while desperately trying not to become one of those he despises. His anger must be channeled towards good, otherwise his hatred would consume him.
He has dedicated his life to his cause, training daily to become the pinnacle of physical perfection, (no handy spider bites or radioactive accidents for him!). He has chosen this life, he was compelled to choose this life, to honour his parents and save his own soul.
Batman is the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde...by day, Bruce Wayne, billionaire playboy and owner of Wayne Enterprises...by night, Batman, the Dark Knight tormented by the loss of his parents and doomed to a life of punishing the wicked to calm the demons in his heart.
OMG...I LOVE BATMAN!!

PS-And as for Peter Parker having to be a 'superhero' and a student, try being a superhero and running a multi-million dollar corporation!

A good animated Batman film to watch is 'Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm'. It tells you all about how he became Batman, the history of The Joker, and his struggle between what he wants, and what he feels is right. It totally rules!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 06.29.2006, 02:19 PM.

06.29.2006, 02:00 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Thank you, SpiritedSen , I'll look into the batman works...

I've seen the batman begins film 3 times; what did you think of it? Is it a fair representation of batman, and his story?

Oh, and what was wrong with quicktime? Do you all have the latest versions?

I have a mac, so quicktime automatically updates for me; if you use windows, then you may have to manually update your quicktime from apple.

You can watch Howl's Moving castle trailer if you have quicktime!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/how...castle/trailer/

There's the link ~ but I'm sure you have all seen it... I must have watched the trailer aboput 300 times... lol

06.29.2006, 02:42 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phyrra
Thank you, SpiritedSen , I'll look into the batman works...
I've seen the batman begins film 3 times; what did you think of it? Is it a fair representation of batman, and his story?

OK dude, this is gonna be a long one, so you might want to get yourself a cup of tea before you start!!

Let's start at the beginning...

Opening titles were disappointing, 'cos the WB sign didn't metamorphosise into the BatSignal, and we've also lost the Danny Elfman music...the only true Bat Theme!

Correctly, Joe Chill is the name of the mugger who killed Bruce's parents ( ), not The Joker as stated in the 1989 movie.

Ra's Al-Ghul is Arabian, so the idea that Liam Neeson is him is ridiculous! Also, Ra's is immortal , and is several centuries old before he even meets Batman. Although it is said towards the end of the film that Ra's sacked Rome and other historical countries, it comes across as Ra's talking about the League of Shadows as a force, rather than personally! Also the League of Assassins is the real name of Ra's group, the name was changed to the League of Shadows for the movie. Ra's aims are also misinterpreted. Ra's' goal is a world in perfect environmental balance, a goal he will achieve at any cost. He believes that the best way to do so is to eliminate most of humanity. This environmental desire was ousted for a desire for justice in the movie. Most importantly, Batman was never trained by the League, or Ra's.

Carmine Falcone is a real Batman character, but was only created in 1987 in the Frank Miller comic 'Batman Year One'. His character is well portrayed.

Lucius Fox was well acted by Morgan Freeman, but his story is all wrong. When Bruce's personal holdings were being poorly managed, Fox was called in and brought a balance to both Wayne's private and business finances. In addition, he also manages the particulars of the Wayne Foundation, while Wayne dictates the organization's general policies. He is not a research head! However, it is said, as it is in the film, that Fox knows Bruce's alter ego, but has never said anything, this explains why Fox is so happy to run the company that finances his employer's 'activities'!
Obviously this means that Fox had nothing to do with the design of Batman's gadgets...they are mainly designed by Batman, who produces them through various divisions of Wayne Enterprise. Although characters have been said to help Bruce create, modify or repair Batman's gadgets, Lucius isn't one of them.

The Scarecrow never worked at Arkham Asylum. Johnathon Crane became a professor of psychology at Gotham University, specializing in the psychology of fear. After his dismissal for harming one of his students, he kills the men responsible for his dismissal and becomes a career criminal. Cillian Murphy was badly cast in the role as he was too young. My main problem with him though is that he doesn't look like The Scarecrow...The Scarecrow is tall and lanky, because of this he is bullied as a child (The Scarecrow is the nickname that the bullies give him), and this is the catalyst for his transformation. I can hardly see that happening to Cillian, he's far too pretty!

At the end, we see The Joker's calling card (and I must say, I felt a tingle down my spine! ) But...it is widely accepted that The Joker was in essence 'created' by Batman. A struggling stand-up, Joker robs a factory disguised as the Red Hood, Batman foils his attempt and Joker (no-one knows his real name) falls into a vat of chemicals that bleach his skin, and for this he blames Batman. As this didn't happen in the movie, I worry about where they're going to say The Joker came from, what he'll look like, and how he'll sound!

Rachel Dawes was completely invented for the movie, and although Batman has had love interests, it was unnecessary for her to be one of them! Ra's Al-Ghul's daughter Talia (a legitimate Batman love interest) however did not make an appearance. The idea that Batman would consider taking on a girlfriend at that time is proposterous, and the fact that she turned him down is ludicrous, Bruce would never have let it get to even that point!!

Batman/Bruce are majorly dumbed down in the movie. Bruce/Batman is one of the world's greatest scientists, criminologists, and tacticians. He is regarded as one of the DC Universe's greatest detectives. In this, he didn't even know what the compounds were that Lucius talked about! There are many notions, and no definates, about why Batman chose bats, and I liked this one, the fall into the BatCave seemed plausible and in keeping with his story. The BatMobile was good, but it wasn't The BatMobile, but I liked it anyway! Suit...good! Weapons...good!

No complaints about Jim Gordon, well played by Gary Oldman. Michael Caine was good as Alfred, but he was the same age in all the flashbacks!

Fight scenes were bad...I assume they were cut in such a choppy fashion because none of the actors could actually fight convincingly! Not enough martial arts, which Batman is an expert in, but I thought his skills in acrobatics and his immense physical strength came across nicely.

I loved Gotham City...for the first time, it felt like a real place, a real city, rather than a comic book or movie set! But I hated Arkham Asylum, it was too nice !

Publicity wise, loved the posters and artwork (except the one with him carrying Rachel). These are the 2 poster I have, and I think they're the best film posters of all the Batman movies.
The black and white one is my absolute fave!

Despite ALL of this, I thought it was good...I have come to expect the films to have no link to the comics, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed with that aspect. Christian Bale made a good Batman, the only one yet to be attractive enough, and muscular and fit enough, to actually be Bruce Wayne (though he could do with being a little bit bigger muscle wise!). I also felt that the feel and mood of the film and the overall story fit pretty well with the Batman I know and love! I really liked the fact that he was going to shoot Chill (it showed brilliantly Bruce's struggle between revenge and justice), and I thought that his journey from tormented son to Caped Crusader was believable (apart from all that 'travelling the world to understand criminals' rubbish...that never happened either!) Blaming himself for his parents' death is a big part of what makes him who he is, and I'm glad they kept that in. And at the end of the day, it's a Batman movie! (I must point out that Batman And Robin was NOT a Batman movie, and I order the whole world to ignore it!) The sight of Batman, standing atop the Gotham skyline, cape blowing in the wind, as the BatSignal illuminates the night sky ALWAYS sends a shiver down my spine and gives me goosebumps! I LOVE YOU BATMAN!!

(I bet you wish you'd never asked!! )

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 07.01.2006, 02:23 AM.

07.01.2006, 12:12 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
I bet you wish you'd never asked!!

I don't wish that I hadn't asked at all ~ i just feel bad for asking because you must have spent hours writing all that! Thank you SpiritedSen! ~ I really appreciate al the time that must have taken ~ I read it all, and you know sooooo much about batman! That's so cool! Thanks again for writing such an amazing response

What was batman and robin then? A TV show? A rip-off comic?

Why didn't they make Bruce/ Batman into the super scientist he should have been?

I have to admit, I didn't know that there was a batman film in 1989, but I'm glad that the Joker wasn't the one who killed his parents. That's such an amazing scene, the Chill murder scene ~ probably my fav one of the film.

And that Ra guy being immortal and fighting for the environment. I suppose that fighting for justice is more 'heroic' than fighting for the environment ~ and with all the environmental pressure on at the moment, they probably decided not to have Ra fighting for the environment by mass murder...

I suppose also that batman had to be toned down slightly. If he made all the gadgets and won everything more or less single handedly, it makes him extremely independant ~ not good for a film, in my opinion...

Thanks again SpiritedSen ~ that was really interesting. I'm a batman pro now... well, not as knowledgable as you, but still... you get what i mean... I hope...

Thanks ~ it was realy kind!

07.01.2006, 01:11 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Seen the trailer looks good but i'd perfer too see a batman sequel i loved batman begins.

07.01.2006, 04:58 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
SpiritedSen
Totoro

quote:
you must have spent hours writing all that! Thank you SpiritedSen! ~ I really appreciate al the time that must have taken!

What was batman and robin then? A TV show? A rip-off comic?

I have to admit, I didn't know that there was a batman film in 1989!

You're welcome Phyrra!! It did take a pretty long time, but I really enjoyed writing it!!

I don’t know if you meant Batman and Robin, the film, or Robin, the character, so now you’re gonna get another lengthy explanation! (Robin's in film number three below, so I've covered his background in there!)

OK Phyrra…get ready for Batman lesson number 2!!

There are, to date, 7 Batman movies. Two of these, ‘Batman The Movie’ (1965) and ‘Batman:Return To The Batcave’ (2003), star the cast from the original series, which ran from 1966-1968. In these, Batman was played by Adam West, and Robin was played by Burt Ward. The series and these 2 films are very kitsch, but do represent the jokey and very moral quality of the early Batman comics (Batman first appeared in Detective Comics in May 1939)

The first modern Batman movie was ‘Batman’ (1989). Directed by Tim Burton, it starred Michael Keaton as Batman, and Jack Nicholson as The Joker. The love interest in this was Vicky Vale, a photo-journalist played by Kim Basinger (who’s not in the comic books). This is regarded by many as the best Batman film, but I disagree. The Joker’s character background was totally wrong, showing him as a mob-type called Jack Napier who, in the movie, murdered Bruce’s parents as a young thug. Also, being that The Joker is well over 6 foot 3”, short little Nicholson wasn’t really the best choice, but was a fair mix of the old, prankster Joker, and the new psychotic one!

The second film was ‘Batman Returns’ (1992). Again directed by Burton, and agin with Keaton in the lead role, this film included Danny DeVito as The Penguin (real name Oswald Cobblepot) and Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman. The twist in this film is that Bruce’s love interest is Selina Kyle…and Selina Kyle is Catwoman!! This is, in my opinion, the best of all the movies. The inclusion of Max Shrek, Selina’s nasty boss, as the one of the baddies of the piece was great, even though the character does not appear in any comics…maybe the fact that he was played by Christopher Walken helped. The film has the most typically Burton-esque look of the two, and in this one, as in the first, you feel that Burton really understands the Batman universe. Gotham is filled with twisted,gothic shadows set against the snows of Christmas, it is a beautiful, beautiful film. It must be said that in both films, while Michael Keaton does not look like Batman, he makes a very good one, moody and brooding, and unable to give up his pledge to save Gotham. The Penguin and Catwoman are great, comic but not corny, evil but for a reason. This film most represents, to me, the essence of Batman, solitary, dark, possessed.

Film number 3 was ‘Batman Forever’ (1995). This time directed by Joel Schumacher, the film had a totally different feel, much more comic-booky and light, without the darkness of the previous films. Batman was played by Val Kilmer, and we see the introduction of Robin, played by Chris O’Donnell. The bad guys are Tommy Lee Jones as Harvey Dent/Two-Face, and Jim Carrey as Edward Nygma/The Riddler. Love-wise, we have Nicole Kidman as Dr.Chase Meridian, a psychologist (again not in the comic books). This film is ok, Two-Face is played well and I liked Carrey as The Riddler. However, Bruce is a bit of a wuss in this film, getting his ass kicked IN Wayne Manor! Despite that, the tortured hero ethos stayed the same, and I liked the way that Bruce chose bats in this film. Unfortunately, the Danny Elfman was scrapped in this movie. My major problem with this movie though is Dick Grayson, i.e Robin. I hate Robin (doesn’t everyone?), but his story was totally manipulated. In the film, Dick Grayson was a circus acrobat, 24 years old, who performed with his parents in a troupe called The Flying Graysons. The parents’ trapeze wires break due to Two-Face holding a stick-up at their circus, and they plunge to their death in front of Dick, and Bruce who's in the audience. Dick goes to live at Wayne Manor as Bruce sees parallels with his own life, i.e his own parent’s death, and Bruce trains him to be Robin, after some persuading.
The comic books however (Robin was introduced in 1940) clearly state that Dick Grayson is 8 YEARS OLD!! He was an acrobat with his family, the youngest member of The Flying Graysons. A gangster called Boss Zucco had been extorting money from the circus, and killed Dick's parents by sabotaging their trapeze equipment, as a warning against defiance. Batman investigates the crime, and, as Bruce Wayne, becomes Dick's legal guardian, eventually going on to adopt him...again this rises from Bruce's kind nature, and the parallels that Dick's childhood now have with his own. Batman rigorously trains Dick in combat and detective skills and together they bring Boss Zucco to justice. Robin was The Boy Wonder, then went to university and was The Teen Wonder, until finally leaving Batman's shadow and becoming Nightwing. Also, there are 2 other Robins who came after Dick, but I won't bother going into those (unless you want me to!)

Now we come to the HIDEOUS, ODIOUS PIECE OF CRAP known as ‘Batman And Robin’ (1997) . Again directed by Schumacher, but this time starring George Clooney as Batman, Chris O’Donnell as Robin, Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dr.Victor Freis/Mr.Freeze and Uma Thurman as Pamela Isley/Poison Ivy, this film is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG from beginning to end! I simply cannot put into words how much I hate this film, hence my earlier comments begging everyone to ignore it! I’ve only seen it once (NEVER AGAIN!!), and Clooney was shallow and corny, they didn’t even use the proper Batgirl (the original was Barbara Gordon, Commissioner Gordon’s daughter, and the second was Cassandra Cain), but they made Barbara Wilson, who is Alfred the butlers niece (and has never appeared in any comic book), Batgirl!!! Mr.Freeze was all crap one-liners and Pamela Isley/Poison Ivy was made to be a dowdy type who suddenly looked stunning as Ivy. The BatMobile wobbled it’s way down the road, and the plot is some cock and bull story about Alfred being sick and Freeze having the only cure (again, Batman would have been able to sort that himself). I also vaguely remember Bane being in it, but instead of being the devious, intellegent villain of the comic books, he is Poison Ivy's mindless thug! There’s SO much more wrong with it, and it was universally slated, but I must stop talking about it now, otherwise I may have to go and hunt down all those involved in the film, lock them in a big warehouse, and set it on fire!!!!!

Finally, there's 'Batman Begins' (2005) which starts us at the beginning of Bruce's story, but I think we've alreasy covered that!!

Commissioner Gordon has only been a main character in Batman Begins, yet should have been a major player in all of them. Anothe criticism is that in 'Batman', the D.A Harvey Dent is black, played by Billy Dee Williams, and in Batman Forever, he's 'Tommy Lee Jones'! However, that is because Burton was going to direct 'Forever', and have Williams as Two-Face, but Warner Bros threw Burton out when they realised the tone would be similar to 'Batman Returns' (and they were too stupid to realise we WANTED another like 'Returns'!!) Schumacher threw out all Burtons ideas and started from scratch.

So…there you go!!! Hope it's not too boring!! Anything else you want to know, just let me know!! I'd love to be able to convert some peeps into Batman fans, and I really enjoyed writing this one too! I didn't go into too much detail on characters, not sure how interested you'd be (!), but if you want to know I'd be more than happy to tell you!! In fact, this is the best conversation I've had in ages!!

P.S Couldn't find a sound wav of the Danny Elfman movie theme, but he also wrote the theme for the animated series, and it's basically the same, so here it is...the pictures crap, but I LOOOVE this music!! The vid's in the middle of the web page!!)
http://guts.dailymotion.com/video/10078?from=rss

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 07.01.2006, 11:26 PM.

07.01.2006, 10:12 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
So…there you go!!! Hope it's not too boring!! Anything else you want to know, just let me know!! I'd love to be able to convert some peeps into Batman fans, and I really enjoyed writing this one too! I didn't go into too much detail on characters, not sure how interested you'd be (!), but if you want to know I'd be more than happy to tell you!! In fact, this is the best conversation I've had in ages!!

P.S Couldn't find a sound wav of the Danny Elfman movie theme, but he also wrote the theme for the animated series, and it's basically the same, so here it is...the pictures crap, but I LOOOVE this music!! The vid's in the middle of the web page!!)
http://guts.dailymotion.com/video/10078?from=rss

That little movie is cool ~ pity about the quality ~ it's interesting that with one punch, batman sends the thugs flying

It isn't boring at all! I enjoyed reading it ~ I just hope you don't mind writing so much! I don't think you do mind, though

You mentioned almost all of the Batman and Robin shows ~ except for batman and robin dogs... have you heard of them? It's a children's TV show I was forced to watch with my younger brother some time ago... Batman as a dog teams up with superman as a dog (I think). Anyway, in this particular episode, a robin bird decides to join batman dog... and then they go and rescue some factory from the joker dogs... I bet you'd be thrilled watching that, eh?

Here's a really difficult question i bet you won't be able to answer (aren't I nice) ~ is batman in any way based on truth, or inspired by anything? This isn't really a 'batman' question, more of an 'animator's ideas' question but you might know...

A more interesting question that i have is to do with police and batman... Does batman sometimes work in tandem with the police, or seperately? is the police completely corrupt (like in batman begins) or... well... I don't know. Do we ever learn anything about Batman's relationship with the police, or are they just an insignificent element of batman's crime-fighting?

I'll take your word about Batman and Robin film... I laughed when I imagined the batmobile 'wobbling down the road' and you hunting down everyone involved

Hmm... here's another question. What's your favourite element of the batman culture ~ be it films or those crappy 'batman dog' shows. What do you like best?

I'm really looking forward to your reply

Post last edited by Phyrra on 07.02.2006, 03:05 PM.

07.02.2006, 11:45 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

quote:
You mentioned almost all of the Batman and Robin shows ~ except for batman and robin dogs... have you heard of them?

Here's a really difficult question i bet you won't be able to answer (aren't I nice) ~ is batman in any way based on truth, or inspired by anything? This isn't really a 'batman' question, more of an 'animator's ideas' question but you might know...

A more interesting question that i have is to do with police and batman... Does batman sometimes work in tandem with the police, or seperately? is the police completely corrupt (like in batman begins) or... well... I don't know. Do we ever learn anything about Batman's relationship with the police, or are they just an insignificent element of batman's crime-fighting?

Hmm... here's another question. What's your favourite element of the batman culture ~ be it films or those crappy 'batman dog' shows. What do you like best?

Yay, another chance to go on about Batman, hooray!!
It's an absolute pleasure answering your questions Phyrra, get ready for another long message!!

The dog-thing was called Krypto The Superdog! It was released by Nickelodeon in 2005, and is mainly about Krypto, who was Superman’s childhood dog! The Batman dog was called Ace The Bat-Hound, who only appeared in the show occasionally. Ace did feature in the comic books in the 50’s and 60’s, but has only been in 3 or 4 modern comics. This is how he was in the original comics,

and this is how you know him from Krypto!

Interesting to note though, that Batman never made an appearance in Krypto (he does have standards you know!!)

Batman, created by Bob Kane (who is my GOD!!) was inspired in looks, personality, history and equipment by many films of the time, including Douglas Fairbanks’ The Mask Of Zorro, The Bat, and Dracula. He was also inspired by characters such as The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Sherlock Holmes, The Phantom, Dick Tracy, and even, according to Kane, Leonardo Da Vinci!! Interestingly enough, the first few Batman comics made much use of the film noir and horror genres that were present at the time (1939). In the first dozen or so comic books, Batman even makes use of firearms and shows little remorse at the deaths of the villains! As u may remember, Batman appeared first in issue 27 of Detective Story…by issue 38 Kane introduced Robin, ‘cos Batman ‘needed a Watson’! Robin was inspired by the Junior character from Dick Tracy, hence the fact that he’s a young boy. (And you thought I wouldn't be able to answer that...shame on you! )

Gotham City Police Department…Batman was made an honorary member of the police department in the comics in 1941, which moved him away from his dark, vigilante roots. However, GCPD was rife with corruption, with officers at both low and high levels involved in bribery, and even drug-trafficking and murder…hence the forced resignation of the first Commissioner, Gillian.B.Loeb (despite the name, he was a bloke!) James Gordon became the new Commissioner, a man dedicated to wiping out crime wherever it existed, including his own police force. The GCPD have a love-hate relationship with Batman…Gordon went along with it because Batman gets the job done, and also shares Gordon’s commitment to ridding the city of crime and corruption, but Gordon’s successor, Commissioner Michael Aitkins has ordered the arrest of Batman, and removed the BatSignal from the roof of Gotham Central. However, it is thought that since Aitkins’ appointment, corruption in the police force is again rising. Batman does, in a way, work in tandem with the police (in a completely unofficial capacity), mainly Commissioner Gordon, but usually Batman is the one helping out the GCPD, rather than the other way round. Batman is still essentially a vigilante, but as he doesn’t break the law or harm anyone, and brings down many of Gotham’s most violent criminals, the police seem to view him with respect rather than as a criminal.

Favourite element of Batman? Wow, that’s really hard!! There’s so much!! Media wise…I love the modern comic books, my faves are 'The Killing Joke', 'A Death In The Family', and the graphic novel 'Arkham Asylum'. The movies range from brilliant (Batman Returns) to really good (Batman Begins and Batman) to alright (Batman Forever) to the bloody worst piece of crap movie ever (guess which one I mean!?) Correct…Batman and Robin! I am such a HUGE fan of 'Batman:The Animated Series'...it’s a really good interpretation of Batman, and Mark Hamill IS the voice of The Joker, there will never be anyone better at being The Joker than him!! Also Kevin Conroy, who voices Bruce/Batman is perfect! The ultra-modern gadgets and speech against a dark and moody 1920’s backdrop mixes perfectly the idea of Batman existing in a bygone age, while at the same time as being very much a modern day character.
But…why do I love Batman? It’s hard to say! I got into him when I was about 15…I used to baby-sit a little boy who had all the cartoons and the toys from the series, and he used to make me watch them. Imagine a 5 year old getting you into something!! But it did, and I’ve loved Batman ever since! Through reading the comics, I discovered the other side to Batman, a tortured soul, forever walking on the knife-edge between right and wrong, in a city where the lines between good and evil blur into grey. From a purely stylistic point of view, the characters look so cool, from the brooding stare of Batman, to the dead eyes of The Joker. Story wise, I love Batman’s inner struggle, the fact that he carries the loss of his parents with him every single minute of every single day of his life, trapped in a prison of his own making, the prison that is the life of Batman. I cry in all the films and all the series every time Bruce’s parents’ murder is mentioned or shown…seriously (my mates ripped the piss when we went to see ‘Begins’ at the cinema!!) I think of Batman, and Bruce, as being a real person, driven to amazing feats of endurance and courage by the loss that fills his heart. I also love the fact that Batman is a human, with no actual super powers. It is no great leap of faith to become a superhero and want to help people if you can fly, or spin web, or have laser vision or something…but think of the inner demons that must drive a normal man to a life of living in the shadows, helping the nameless at the expense of his own happiness…this is a man who never knows a minutes peace, for all he can hear is the pain of loss screaming in his heart.
The Joker was always my fave baddie…for one, he has the most perfect nose!! (I like noses…don’t ask me why!!?!) His mixture of quick one-liners and psychotic tendencies have always enthralled me…then I bought the graphic novel, ‘Arkham Asylum’, in which the inmates take over the asylum and threaten to kill the staff unless Batman agrees to go into Arkham and meets with them. At the end of the novel, each inmate, including Clay-Face, The Mad Hatter, Killer Croc, Two-Face and The Joker, has written on the walls of Arkham, and this is what The Joker writes…

Don’t ask me why, but I was totally hooked from that moment on! It’s so wrong, it’s awesome!!! I’m sure you’ve worked out by now that I have a love of the darker things in life, (only where films, animation and comics are concerned obviously!!), and The Joker is just so deliciously evil!!

So, there you are!! Hope I've answered all your questions to your satisfaction...anything else you want to know?
I am so loving this thread!! Also, am very happy that I've managed to turn a Spiderman thread, into a Batman thread!! Yay Batman!! Here's hoping you ask some more questions!!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 07.03.2006, 06:34 PM.

07.03.2006, 05:56 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
aviator
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by aviator Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey batman, what did you do with spiderman!!! Actually I like them both, I'm surprised that many people don't like spiderman, I'm really looking foward to seeing it

Post last edited by aviator on 07.05.2006, 01:47 AM.

07.05.2006, 01:39 AM aviator is offline   Profile for aviator Add aviator to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

As always, it's a pleasure to read your answers ... I hope it didn't take you too long... is there anything I can tell you??

Well, everything I asked has been aswered! You know sooooo much, your knowledge is infallible!!!

Ok, one thing. how come there are so many animals? batman and robin, for starters... but then penguin, catwoman and killer croc?? Is there some kind of meaning to this collection?

Ok, another thing... oh, this might result in a long answer... please don't feel forced to write so much if you don't want to! If you do, then go ahead~ I love reading it everything you write

It's about the 'baddies'. How are they arranged? is the 'Joker' the 'king of villains' or are there seperate gangs of baddies. As you can guess, i know very little about batman, so i hope this isn't a too basic question...

There are so many bad guys, I just wondered whether they were ordered in some way? A large gang? Small sections of criminals?

Just wondering ~ I hope you can answer them all!

I look forward to reading your reply Thank you!!

07.05.2006, 04:41 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Andy Dainty
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.12.06
A few notes from another Batman FanPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Andy Dainty Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I grew up loving all things Batman and have to say that despite my love for Burton's Batman I feel that BBegins is the best to date, there are also some old Batman Movie serials which can be bought on Region 1 DVD from the likes of Amazon, I have only seen the first one so far and although it is very dated and not very politically correct (probably because it's dated shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbour) but it does reflect the development of Batman in Films.

Out of interest what do people think of the comics. I have collected many of the compiled books and have to say that I am dissapointed with the way that since No Man's Land Batman seems to becoming more like a soap opera. I therefore prefer the books writen in the 80's and 90's with my favorite authors comprised of Frank Miller, Alan Moore (although he only seems to have written once for Batman it was a pinicle story) and Jeph Loeb. I certainly think that Tim Sales is possibly the best Batman artist of recent years.
What are other peoples opinions on the Batman Comics?

Also I have to agree that I had the same thrils and concerns when seeing the Jokers calling card at the end of Batman Begins but that was taken straight out of Miller's Batman Begins which was naturally influential in the production of the film.

And I of course have to agree that Schumacher should be sent into exile for what he did to the Batman films however it could be argued that if it wasn't for Schumacher killing of the franchise, there would have never have been Batman Begins which I feel has got the best balance between Bruce wayne and Batman yet and given how unfaithful films can be to their sources (There was outcry that the lead in constantine was a black haired american as apposed to a chain smoking blonde Brit, and Moore rightly removed his name from the credits of V for Vendetta as the story line is completely different to the comic) I was very please at how faithful BBegins was being. On another note, I watched the film with a couple of people who don't read the comics and they like the idea that all of Batmans adversaries arrived as a result of the drugs given to them at Arkham. I however prefer an idea raised in an Alan Moore story (The Night Olympics feat Green arrow available in DC Universe compilation) that the supervillans come out of a form of evolution, normal villans don't stand a chance against Batman therefore the Supervillans develop, I think I may have also read some stories in which Batman feels guilty that he may be attracting the supervillains to Gotham, or it was possibly one of Alfred's sly comments.

Oh by the way, I kind of like the Spiderman films, I didn't on first watching but they have grown on me. WHat I was really shocked to find out though is that they are planning a sequal to the Punisher! Keep well clear as this was as bad as Batman and Robin.

So other than Batman what are peoples favorite comic book/superhero adaptations?

Oh - least favorite Superhero has to be Superman, Therefore I love it when Batman and Superman fight in Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again.

07.06.2006, 08:34 AM Andy Dainty is offline   Profile for Andy Dainty Add Andy Dainty to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

quote:
Ok, one thing. how come there are so many animals? batman and robin, for starters... but then penguin, catwoman and killer croc?? Is there some kind of meaning to this collection?

Ok, another thing...
It's about the 'baddies'. How are they arranged? is the 'Joker' the 'king of villains' or are there seperate gangs of baddies. As you can guess, i know very little about batman, so i hope this isn't a too basic question...

There are so many bad guys, I just wondered whether they were ordered in some way? A large gang? Small sections of criminals?

Ok, here goes…

The animal thing…there is no meaning to the fact that they’re animals, but I can tell you how the baddies developed.
In the early comics, the bad guys were mainly mad scientists and gangsters, cos that’s what was popular, because of all the pulp fiction magazines.
The baddies we know today started in about 1940, and were influenced by the baddies in Dick Tracy, who were normally disfigured, so as to mirror their evil natures…ugly on the inside, ugly on the outside. This idea of displaying their true natures physically led to the creation of The Joker, Catwoman, The Scarecrow, The Penguin and Two-Face, all in the 1940’s.
In the 1950’s, sci-fi became incredibly popular, so for the first half of the 50’s, Batman had a lot of alien enemies! The sci-fi theme continued into the late 50’s and 60’s and saw the birth of characters such as Mr.Freeze and Poison Ivy, while many of the enemies that we know and love today were featuring less and less in the comics. The TV show which started in 1966 revived a lot of the old characters, which brought them again to the fore in the comic books.
The 70’s had influences from horror, and so we got Man-Bat, and spy films, so we saw the invention of Ra’s Al-Ghul, who could easily be a Bond villain!
The 1980’s and onwards saw much darker, more twisted baddies such as Killer Croc and Bane, who famously snapped Batman’s spine!
Batman’s enemies stand out so much (and this sort of answers your question) because most of them are based on a theme which is either a typical phobia, delusion, obsession, or merely just a gimmick. (I guess lots of peeps are afraid of bats…but penguins I hear you cry??!! Surely not!! I must say here, that The Penguin is obsessed with birds, but is in no way deformed as he was in Batman Returns and is perfectly sane. He was bullied for his beak like nose, and the rejection made him a criminal, but still a gentleman!)

The baddies are in no way affiliated with eachother. While it’s true to say that they have worked together on a number of occasions, there is no hierarchy between them. The Joker is perceived as being tops as he is most well known, features the most in the comic books, and has been round the longest, but the comics say no such thing. It is true to say though that The Joker is Batman's main foe, his nemesis and arch-enemy, due to the fact that The Joker represents the antithesis of Batman's methods and personality.
All the criminals have one thing in common…their hatred of Batman. This has at times bound the villains together in a common cause, but not in any lasting way. Each villain has his own agenda and gang, this is a way to expand whatever the baddies psychosis is, i.e Joker and Harley Quinn (created for The Animated Series, but brought into comic books due to her popularity) living in a disused circus, The Penguin always holing up in places that are bird related, Beak's Knick Knacks, etc, or Poison Ivy’s henchwomen being named after flowers.
There have been gangs of baddies, but they are DC Universe characters, not just from Batman. These include ‘The Secret Society Of Supervillains’ and ‘The Injustice Gang’, who fought The Justice League, and the ‘Legion Of Doom’, which appeared in a cartoon series called ‘Super Friends’ (pretty lame huh? and it was by Hanna-Barbera, I HATE Hanna-Barbera, they make such crap cartoons, Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, etc, it just ain't my bag baby!!)
Ultimately, I don't think it would work to have that many psychotic people in a gang! If they captured Batman, they'd be fighting so much about who got to finish him off that Batman would have time to pop out, have a coffee, get his cape cleaned, and pop back just in time to kick their asses! There's usually just the one pycho, and a load of henchmen (the exception to the rule is the Mud Pack, which consisted of the first, third and forth Clayface's...there have been 6 different Clayface's!)

Well, I hope that answers your questions!
It's a coincidence that you take a couple of days to work out what to ask, because I take a couple of days to work out what to write!!

Anything else you fancy knowing? Do you want to know anything about a certain villain's background...that's one of my favourite things about Batman, the story behind the villains (I used to want to be a criminal psychologist when I was younger, so I think that's why it appeals to me so much! What they do isn't enough for me, I want to know why too!)
Feel free to ask me anything, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun! I don't know anyone who gives a toss about Batman, so it's SO nice to be able to chat, well...write, about him!!!

07.06.2006, 08:53 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks