QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Azumanga Daioh!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Azumanga Daioh!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
Azumanga Daioh!!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've just got round to watching this series (finally!), and it's so cool! I feel like I know loads of it already because there are so many AMV'S of it in the AMV Hell films, but I realise that they couldn't do it justice!! It's so ridiculously cute and stupidly weird all at the same time!!
If anyone wants a look, some dude on YouTube has uploaded the first 15 episodes...

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Shint

Everyone who hasn't seen it, watch it, it's really funny if you like your anime on the cute but odd side!!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 07.04.2006, 08:00 PM.

07.04.2006, 07:57 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I believe it's being called the funniest anime. Or the best comedy anime.

It's been quite a few years, so it's also out in English. But I suggest watching it in japanese, not because the dubbing sucks, but because the english dialogue can never sound right for dialect and sound effects. And one of the characters here speaks Osaka dialect.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.04.2006, 11:35 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
mpw3d
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mpw3d Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ive watched the first 2 episodes in english and i think its really funny but just aint my kind of anime.... i may have to watch the rest in japanese now cause i dont wanna buy it on DVD lol

www.mpw3d.deviantart.com

07.05.2006, 09:30 AM mpw3d is offline   Profile for mpw3d Add mpw3d to your buddy list Send an Email to mpw3d
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The ones on YouTube (the link above) are Japanese with subs, and they're really good, because you get explanations of what they're saying at the top of the screen!!! For example, Chiyo says a tongue twister...and it explains at the top what it should sound like, and what the pun is on what she's actually saying, something that a non-Japanese speaker like me would never get otherwise! Is that a fan sub thing, or would all of that be on the DVD too?

07.05.2006, 09:44 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Sunchaser
Totoro

Registration Date: 02.22.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sunchaser Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Awesome! Azumanga Daioh is really funny! I have the DVD's but I haven't gotten around to watching all the episodes yet...

First signature made by kittycatjess. Thank you so much!
Second signature also made by kittycatjess...it's our joint sig!
Third signature made by mpw3d . Thank you!

07.05.2006, 05:12 PM Sunchaser is offline   Profile for Sunchaser Add Sunchaser to your buddy list Send an Email to Sunchaser
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cool! Where did you get the DVD's from, sunchaser? Do they have the subtitles at the top as well to explain the meaning behind what they're saying, like the tongue twister thing in my post above, or just the normal audio subs at the bottom? Or are they dubbed?

I've watched the first 3 episodes now, and OMG, Yukari is SOOO annoying!! I know she's meant to be, but she's so irritating!! My fave characters so far are Osaka (can't remember her real name!) 'cos she's so spaced out and kooky, and Chiyo cos she's just so darn cute!!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 07.05.2006, 11:11 PM.

07.05.2006, 08:28 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
Cool! Where did you get the DVD's from, sunchaser? Do they have the subtitles at the top as well to explain the meaning behind what they're saying, like the tongue twister thing in my post above, or just the normal audio subs at the bottom? Or are they dubbed?

I've watched the first 3 episodes now, and OMG, Yukari is SOOO annoying!! I know she's meant to be, but she's so irritating!! My fave characters so far are Osaka (can't remember her real name!) 'cos she's so spaced out and kooky, and Chiyo cos she's just so darn cute!!

The extra text, my friend, are what makes fansubs so much better than company subs; some of them actually explain to you what exactly they are saying.

Not to mention that most fansubs are a lot more accurate than the best company subs can offer. Sad, really.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.05.2006, 11:05 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Roarkiller, I thought it must be a fansub! All the fansubs I've seen so far are so good, it's no wonder people download so much anime, rather than buying it! It's so much better when you understand the meanings and interpretations behind what they're saying!

BTW, does anyone know what they're saying/thinking in the pics in my last post? It's probs just the title of the show or something, but I would like to know!

07.05.2006, 11:11 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

posted by Spirited Sen

quote:
BTW, does anyone know what they're saying/thinking in the pics in my last post? It's probs just the title of the show or something, but I would like to know!

She's only saying 'A'.
No meaning.

07.06.2006, 10:31 AM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Kanta
She's only saying 'A'.
No meaning.

Weird!! Thanks Kanta!!

07.06.2006, 01:36 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Sunchaser
Totoro

Registration Date: 02.22.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sunchaser Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen

I got the DVD's from my mom's sister. She sent us a whole package of a bunch of DVD's either from Japan or China. In the DVD's however, like Roarkiller said, it's just the normal subs. So yeah, I do like fansubs better as they give you that little information blurb at the top.

Osaka and Chiyo are my favorite characters too! LOL Chiyo's soooo kawaii!

First signature made by kittycatjess. Thank you so much!
Second signature also made by kittycatjess...it's our joint sig!
Third signature made by mpw3d . Thank you!

07.06.2006, 06:11 PM Sunchaser is offline   Profile for Sunchaser Add Sunchaser to your buddy list Send an Email to Sunchaser
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Most of the time, the normal subs pretty much does the job. However, being japanese animation shot in japan, there tend to be japanese references, and official subs, being official, obviously can't do the same as subs, so they end up being inferior in a way.

Azumanga Daioh contains several references to Japan and its culture, so you may not understand what is going on at times. For example, in one scene, Osaka is seen selling plushies for a school festival. When a customer asks her what one of them was, she replied "Hanshin" which is actually a [b]region[/i] in japan, in the East of japan. Which is a stupid thing to call a doll. Some fansubs offer this little bit of information to explain. Official subs, though, probably had to work around this.

Also, due to space constraints, official subs are ALWAYS forced to summarize the dialogue as short as possible, for easier reading and viewing. After all, while fansubs are good for their accuracy, literal translation tend to end up being long-winded, and ends up in lines stretching from one end to the other for TWO lines, or subs that appear too fast to read. That's one disadvantage of fansubs. Contrary to what you think, the job of a timer does NOT include controlling the length of time a line appears on the screen. Most, anyway.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.07.2006, 12:08 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

azumanga is the best! it's cute and random! love osaka...such a spacy chick lolz

07.14.2006, 05:24 AM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
mpw3d
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mpw3d Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YAY!! just watch all 26 episodes of azumanga daioh and the movie

if you haven't seen the movie and its only a 5 min one as well lol but heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbEiU9NQwts

one of my favorite series and wish they had carried it on
brilliant ending

www.mpw3d.deviantart.com

07.26.2006, 05:12 PM mpw3d is offline   Profile for mpw3d Add mpw3d to your buddy list Send an Email to mpw3d
nanafan
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i know! i would have loved to see another season or something.. yeah the movie was too short..need more azumanga goodness!

07.26.2006, 11:16 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
mpw3d
Ohmu

i'm was proper guttered though that there is only one sereis but the entire series is just fantastic,,,,, T-T wanna see more...

so i bought the boxset for £14 of ebay with everything

www.mpw3d.deviantart.com

07.27.2006, 03:20 AM mpw3d is offline   Profile for mpw3d Add mpw3d to your buddy list Send an Email to mpw3d
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Just for anyone who hasn't looked at the Kawaii thread, here are some Azumanga Daioh kao's and chibi's that I found!! Enjoy their cuteness!!

07.29.2006, 09:57 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
nanafan
Totoro

oh noes!! am dying from the cuteness!!!

08.01.2006, 07:07 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
kk-on-keys
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kk-on-keys Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm a slight Azumanga obssessive... I have all the DVDs, two of the soundtracks, all four mangas... it's great!

08.11.2006, 05:51 AM kk-on-keys is offline   Profile for kk-on-keys Add kk-on-keys to your buddy list
nanafan
Totoro

i have only one of the soundtracks but if you like azumanga daioh you will love yotsuba & it's from the same person who did azumanga daioh it's sooooo flipping cute!

08.11.2006, 02:06 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks