QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Reccomendations Please
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Reccomendations Please » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
Reccomendations PleasePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey i was wondering does anyone here know of any ainme tv series that are out on dvd that have similar plots to - Laputa Castle of the sky, Howls Moving castle?

Much appretiated Sean

08.14.2006, 05:36 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Bump

08.15.2006, 08:56 AM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
It is obvious that Miyazaki drew some of his inspiration for Laputa from the tv series Future Boy Conan that he did for the Japanese network NHK in 1978. This 26 episode series followed the adventures of Lana and Conan, a young boy and girl about the same age as Sheeta and Pazu, who are being pursued by an evil government trying to find Lana's uncle. Sheeta and Lana are somewhat similar in character design even down to the pigtails.

The Laputa story outline was echoed three years later with the premiere of the tv anime series Nadia, another series about an orphan girl with a magical gemstone who is also searching for the secrets of her origin. A comparison of the movie and the series shows their shared story elements.

How's that?!?!?!
Found this on a random website...hope it helps!!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 08.15.2006, 09:14 AM.

08.15.2006, 09:10 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
quote:
It is obvious that Miyazaki drew some of his inspiration for Laputa from the tv series Future Boy Conan that he did for the Japanese network NHK in 1978. This 26 episode series followed the adventures of Lana and Conan, a young boy and girl about the same age as Sheeta and Pazu, who are being pursued by an evil government trying to find Lana's uncle. Sheeta and Lana are somewhat similar in character design even down to the pigtails.

The Laputa story outline was echoed three years later with the premiere of the tv anime series Nadia, another series about an orphan girl with a magical gemstone who is also searching for the secrets of her origin. A comparison of the movie and the series shows their shared story elements.

How's that?!?!?!
Found this on a random website...hope it helps!!

Cool thanks now all i have to find out is where i can get it on dvd. Which it probably isnt.

08.15.2006, 09:27 AM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Didn't reply cuz I couldn't think of any.

But if its fantasy mixed with saving-the-world stuff, you could try Last Exile. It's got good art, good development, good characters... you get the idea. Best part (to me) is that it ain't no dumb comedy show either.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.15.2006, 10:30 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Didn't reply cuz I couldn't think of any.

But if its fantasy mixed with saving-the-world stuff, you could try Last Exile. It's got good art, good development, good characters... you get the idea. Best part (to me) is that it ain't no dumb comedy show either.

Thanks man shall check that out aswell.

08.16.2006, 08:44 AM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Hyuma
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Hyuma Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Toolfan1912
Laputa Castle of the sky,
Much appretiated Sean

Read the book "travel of Gulliver"... yes is not a an anime...but there is Laputa island

08.16.2006, 09:27 AM Hyuma is offline   Profile for Hyuma Add Hyuma to your buddy list Homepage of Hyuma
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For want of another, one more that's just as good as Last Exile, is Vision of Escaflowne. This one has a really great storyline.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.17.2006, 05:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

definitely agreed escaflowne is a really good anime...i own it and love it..

08.24.2006, 01:24 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
For want of another, one more that's just as good as Last Exile, is Vision of Escaflowne. This one has a really great storyline.

Hey man thanks for the recommendations, i bought the complete series of Last Exile of ebay.ie and its really good.

08.31.2006, 06:00 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

First time I watched Laputa, I thought it was quite Final Fantasy IX-esque, what with the airships and stuff...

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

09.01.2006, 02:54 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

most of the movies have airships, but i do see where youa re coming from, FF IX rocked byt he way.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.01.2006, 02:57 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Freyarule
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It rocked big time! hehe

09.01.2006, 03:39 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would like to add that last exile is not only like Laputa, it is actually based on Laputa. Also, another show that I found strikingly similar to Laputa was Now and Then Here and There. It is very heavy stuff though. It certainly isn't such a happy adventure story. However, the plot and characters are strikingly similar in some aspects. For example, the show is about a headstrong boy that gets wrapped up in protecting a young girl that he met by chance. The girl is being pursued by an evil military, and she is wearing a magic pendant that if utilized by said military would allow them to rule the world via a floating tower of immeasurable destructive capabilities.

09.10.2006, 04:36 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

Yeah, very similar plot points...

09.13.2006, 07:58 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks