QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Mononoke : Gateway to anime?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Mononoke : Gateway to anime? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Mononoke : Gateway to anime?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This may just be me, but its been fairly quite around here and I thought I would try to start a relavent discussion.I used to never watch anime, i found it couldn't hold my attention ( i would usually switch to hockey, go canada), then one day my T.V was on mononoke. I only caught the last 30 min and thought it was amazing, wrote down the name of the film cause i have the memory of a glass oif water, and went looking for it on dvd, couldn't find it and had to download it. Mononoke hooked me on Ghibli and is making me get around to all the other films, but what puzzles me is that i know 5 or so other people who saw mononoke, didn't know the name of it and it hooked them on anime. Was anyone else out there like this or is it just me?

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.17.2006, 12:19 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i got hooked on Spireted Away, i didnt wanna watch it at 1st cuzi thought it was for lil kiddies lol, but then i watched and then i watched it another 10 times lol. after that I remembered the name Ghibli and saw another movie of theirs, and got it, and watched it, and Nausicaa blew me away. i gotta say, anime is better than any drug, or alchohol ive ever taken. (but it dosnt stop me using them )

cheers man

08.17.2006, 12:25 PM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i soo totally agree (not the drug thing the spirited awey thing)
i saw it on sky n though it was anova one of those cheesy kiddy films like harry potter-lame
but i watched it n liked it so i bought it lol

08.17.2006, 12:29 PM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw spirted second so it was a good 1-2 punch, still like mononoke better but spirted has gron on me, if nausicaa would hurry up and download...

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.17.2006, 12:44 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol jess id of thought u'd agree ghibli films are beter than drugs lol. and lol at 1sanfan, dont worry its worth it. i fell in love with nausicaa, so will you lol

cheers

08.17.2006, 12:51 PM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nausicaa chares the same themes with Mononoke. Watch it and you'll, hopefully, see what I mean.

I watched Spirited Away first and that hooked me on animé. Then I saw Howl's Moving castle, then Mononoke, and each one amazed me. After that I looked at other animés not made by Studio Ghibli (like Full Metal Alchemist and Akira) and everything I saw impressed me.

However, I have a friend who saw Spirited Away when it was released, and he thought it was boring and awful... he's the only person that I've spoken to who feels the same way. Sometimes I wonder whether he watched Spirited Away or another film with a similar name...

If I were to speak to someone who had never seen an animé in his or her life, I'd recommend Princess Mononoke. Enjoy Nausicäa, #1sanfan ~ it's stunning.

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

08.17.2006, 01:07 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Nausicaa! a good oll wise drunk oll THUG talking there, but Nausicaa is the best bros

cheers

08.17.2006, 01:20 PM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched a little Full metal alchemist and thought it was ok, i think akira is a little gorey, i dunno i didn't like it

Click for Gallery^^

08.17.2006, 03:57 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The main attraction of ghibli movies, or especially Miyazaki's movies, is the strong storyline and plot, literally glueing you to the seat. Most people who started off with ghibli movies still have it as their favourite studio and movies.

Then again, a lot of people also start to dislike anime because of ghibli, since it's not exactly "childish".

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.17.2006, 11:33 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks