QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What to watch now i have exhausted Ghibli
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What to watch now i have exhausted Ghibli » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  What to watch now i have exhausted GhibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi all

Was searching the internet for new films to watch and found your forums and was hoping someone could help me.

Just over a year ago i watched a subtitled version of howls moving castle. Really enjoyed it and since then i have worked my way through the whole Ghibli back catalog. Having also been to the Ghibli museum in January when i was on holiday

Now i find myself with no more anime to watch

From my searches on the internet all i seem to find are manga which is all violence/sex or both.

Im hoping someone can point me in the direction of more japanese anime which is more like the Ghibli movies.

Hoping someone can help

Spungwa

09.21.2006, 06:37 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Spungwa
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ooo forgot to say can be an anime series too, as well as feature length films.

I have watched
Last Exile - This i loved.
Stellvia of the universe - Was ok

Spungwa

09.21.2006, 06:41 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
RealityBites
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.18.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by RealityBites Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would like to know too @_@

09.21.2006, 09:09 AM RealityBites is offline   Profile for RealityBites Add RealityBites to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Have you seen Pre-Ghibli miyazaki and Takahata works such as Nausicaa, Castle of caliostro, The Little Norse Prince, Panda Go Panda???
If you have, check out Akira, its pretty much the most famous non.ghibli anime around. Really good are also Jin-Roh, Perfect Blue and Ghost in the Shell 1 and Innocence (ie: GOTS 2)...
So thats a few films for you to see for now!!

09.21.2006, 02:23 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You should watch voices of a distant star and the place promised in our early days. They were made by a guy named Makoto Shinkai, and many people say that his films are a lot like Miyazaki's.

Oh yeah, and to add to an earlier post, you should also watch Tokyo Godfathers and Millinium Actess. And while Ghost in the Shell is great, it is very violent and has a lot of nudity, which is what you were saying you didn't want to see.

09.21.2006, 09:28 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
RealityBites
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.18.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by RealityBites Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah voices of a distant star is cool but it only goes for 25 minutes :/

I'm going to download the other one you mentioned from him, the animations were really good.

09.22.2006, 12:36 AM RealityBites is offline   Profile for RealityBites Add RealityBites to your buddy list
Spungwa
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks

I'll have a look at what been recommended

09.22.2006, 05:11 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Have you seen Pre-Ghibli miyazaki and Takahata works such as Nausicaa, Castle of caliostro, The Little Norse Prince, Panda Go Panda???
If you have, check out Akira, its pretty much the most famous non.ghibli anime around. Really good are also Jin-Roh, Perfect Blue and Ghost in the Shell 1 and Innocence (ie: GOTS 2)...
So thats a few films for you to see for now!!

Yeh id say if yah havent seen pre-ghibli films take a look into them also if yah havent see Grave of the Fireflies also welcome

09.22.2006, 02:47 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
furs
Totoro

Registration Date: 09.23.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by furs Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Roarkiller have an excellent suggestion to Toolfan1912 in the other thread.

Last Exile.

09.29.2006, 03:55 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!! Voices of a distant star is only 25 minutes long??
Seriously? I thought it was a movie!!
What about the other Makoto Shinkai "movie", is that longer??

09.29.2006, 01:22 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

his other movie, Beyond the Clouds, is full-length feature, it dragged a lil more than Voices.. but i liked it, still pretty and good music as well

09.29.2006, 07:23 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
furs
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by furs Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The library here in Wellington have episodes 2-6 of Last Exile.. I mean wtf.. where's the first episode.

So i didnt rent it. I'll wait for someone to return the first episode.

09.29.2006, 10:20 PM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
hehe funny...
Is it like one episode per dvd, or various per dvd??

09.30.2006, 06:42 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
furs
Totoro

I dunno.

I just refer to Episode as the number i see on the cover. I only saw DVD numbers 2 to 6.

09.30.2006, 08:59 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
that would be kinda stupid to have 1 episode on 1 dvd... hehe

09.30.2006, 09:33 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Maybe the first episode was feature-length, and was on DVD separately? I don't actually know, but it's possible...

09.30.2006, 09:40 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
you mean like a long pilot?
Possible

09.30.2006, 09:45 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
furs
Totoro

A grammatical error on my part is possible too. I mean it's possible that, i could originally mean first DVD out of six DVDs.

Well, just some possibilities.

Post last edited by furs on 10.01.2006, 12:53 AM.

10.01.2006, 12:53 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You could try "Like the Clouds Like the Wind" and "Summer in Andalusia".

You'll find the art very similar to ghibli style, simply because they ARE ghibli artists

No violence and no sex, and similar to ghibli... not a lot then. For movies, hardly. For series, unless you're thinking in the direction of pure comedy or romance, then sorry, selection's pretty tight, though there are still a considerable number of titles. Can't name any from the top of my head though, sorry.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.01.2006, 02:47 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
Roarkiller, those movies, who are the by?
Where can I get them and what are they about?
Brief me please..

10.01.2006, 06:24 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks