QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Adventures!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Adventures! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Adventures!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Share ^_^ anything new or old, big or small. You can talk about finding frogs in your water feature or even mould in your fridge xP

Here's mine...

So, last week Thursday I left for school in the morning. Once I got there, I found my boyfriend and a few of his friends sitting in the foyer. I asked what they were doing there since they had a day off as their exam was tomorrow. Or so I thought. After much rolling of eyes and pulling of my hair (all in good fun xP) I was informed that their exam was, in fact, on Thursday and not Friday. *Sigh* I'm such a ditz sometimes.

Anyways, I go to class, they go write their exam. After class three of my friends and I go for lunch at a nearby restaurant that I happen to dislike. It’s a nice place really, great atmosphere, excellent service, decently priced but the food…it’s mediocre Vietnamese stuff. I could make better at home. And I was in the mood for good food. Unfortunately my friends were too lazy to go downtown so I gave in and said fine. We went in, sat and about 10 minutes later, we’re thinking about what to order (the menu is huge like most Asian restaurants…10 gazillion items and the sad part is, we’ve had most of them at one point or another). Right about then, this superbly hot guy walks in with his friends and my friends say to me, “Now aren’t you glad we came here?”

I agree of course. A chance to spend time with my boyfriend and both of our friends is always welcome. We all squish together at this table and it’s a very mellow two or three hours where we eat and drink tea and not worry about exams after a long time. I love going out to eat with my friends because halfway through, most of us are full and start trading food on our plates...so by the time we're finished, we no longer can tell who ordered what and end up eating everything on the table. We don't even ask anymore xD It's one of the most relaxing things to do, I think...go somewhere nice and eat and talk ^_^ It helped that I rather like the lemongrass chicken vermicelli I got ^_^

The conversation was fascinating as it usually is. We talked about 2012 and the Mayans and the new age along with some environmental stuff; volcanoes; vampires and books; sex-ed; aliens; dissolving dead bodies and putting them down the drain or freezing them; and all the usual sort of stuff to talk about at lunch when you have all the time in the world to spare xP While we were talking about all this, this forgotten camping trip was mentioned…it never happened (apparently my boyfriend and his friends were supposed to go). Now my friend mentioned she’d never been camping in her life. The rest of us are agape but she clarifies that she hasn’t been real camping before. The kind with a tent. And my other two friends and I say that it’s the same for us. We’ve only been in trailers and such.

Now the guys are agape. And you can guess what happened next, right? My friends and I got a free lunch, got carted off to our respective homes and packed under the supervision of the guys after which the guys grabbed their stuff, tent, food, and all this other junk. All very fast. Half way to the camp ground we were going to, I remembered that we got all excited and forgot to tell our parents…haha, that was an interesting moment. We pulled over and called our parents…we were met, of course, by a resounding, “GET BACK HOME, NOW!” generally xD It took about half an hour of sweet talking to get all of them to agree, even if it was grudging agreement for the most part xP

Anyways, we’re once again on our way and then after much craziness in the car, we’re there! It’s a beautiful campground, with a lake nearby and we were allowed a fire. There were leaves on the trees and the weather was beautiful. Pitching the tents was … interesting since the guys made us do it ourselves. We figured it out eventually since they were those pop themselves up tents. Still, it was insanely complicated and we're supposed to be smart . Then we got the food up in the tree and ended up being up there ourselves. Very fun.

Finally, we finished setting up and started wandering around in the general direction of the lake and me, being the voice of reason that I am, ask, “What about bears? Is there a warning?” My friend beside me freezes and then goes on to freak out a little. But apparently it’s fine since our food was out of the way and we were going to make a LOT of noise xP

The rest of the trip was fun. There were a ton of silly games and lots of running around, chasing, climbing trees and falling into bushes. And a LOT of scaring away animals. We did a lot of hiking and floating on the lake in a boat. I canoed, which I hadn’t done in a long time (since last summer). The water was cold but then again, it always cold here so we bore with it and swam anyways. There was a trip the girls and I made to the lake the first night...it was something we've always thought of doing but never really...you know? So that's one thing crossed off of the to-do-before-graduation-list. xP Though, I really ended up hating the water in the end because every morning I was woken up by being dipped in it. It's not my fault I was tired...stupid friends. xP

And of course, there was the campfire. Lovely campfire, with loads of stories and songs and revelations. I found out some interesting things about my friends…but no more about that. Mostly the campfire kept us up so we didn’t get any sleep at all, which was bad when we started fishing (just for fun…we let the fish go right after xD) since we’d start falling asleep then. Now that was an adventure. I found out that I don’t like fish…live ones with their scales and their unblinking eyes…and the tail. Oh the tail. No. I do not like fish unless they are served to me properly on a plate without their heads and tales.

Speaking of food, oh dear. The one thing I did not like about real camping was the food. Or lack there of. I’m used to eating really good food. And canned food and such is not good. It was rather disgusting and artificial and I hope that I never have to eat anything like that again… But that was the only thing I didn’t like. The rest of it was very fun. Good times and good memories without any bears. And the best part was the last night…yes, yesterday ^_^ The most lovely of nights I have had in a long time. Maybe I’ll tell more about that some other time.

Well...there was the day that we broke a boat...xP but that's a secret right? My friend's dad has probably forgotten about it's existence...it was that old...and bound to get a hole in it when 7 teens tried to fit on it in a moment of stupidity xD Good thing there isn't a scratch on the new one ^_^

Hehe, and now I'm very tired...and possibly dreading the time when my parents come home. Yeah, I can't think of anything more to say...*looks above*...*wonders why * Sorry to have bored you xD

05.18.2008, 04:24 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah! I was right! A surprise whisked-off away for fun break. Hm, it sounds like you guys had so much fun, and I know exactly what you did at the lake in the dark. Doing that is wonderful but I've not done it in years!

Hm, parts of that story sound like they should be in the love thread.

Glad to have you back too safe and sound too!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.18.2008, 04:50 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I know exactly what you did at the lake in the dark. Doing that is wonderful but I've not done it in years!

Please, enlighten us.

05.18.2008, 04:53 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not boring at all, Fen, not at all. Thank you for your tale, fishy tail that iss, lol...

Sheesh, haven't had any real current adventures. Around 1980, went camping up in the Coyote Mtns near a place called Boulevard, California, east of San Diego. We had borrowed a camping trailer and spent a week up there and every day, it dawned bright and sunny, etc. but by 3 or 4pm, it was pouring down rain, flooding the campground so it was lucky that we had the trailer instead of the tents. BTW, It was my wife and daughter, sons were not born yet... One day I decided to go on a bit of a trek by myself (yeah, yeah, I know, not smart of safe)...

Anyway, I headed out about 6am and just started walking and ended up going through a kinda of hot desert area, very dry except for a few little scummy streams... Long story short, I ran out of water. One of the canteens developed a leak from hitting against a rock and I was qbout 9 or 10 miles from the campsite very hot, starting to dehydrate already so I thought, what the heck, I get a few little parasites inside me from drinking from the unfiltered streem, that was their lookout... so I did, hoping that there wasn't some bear or mountain goat upstream of me doing its thing...

Anyway, that was my adventure, did't make it back before the rain, so that was nice for a bit, too until it stopped and the humidity rose up.... Hot and dry is bad enough but hot and humid is rough because your body sweat won't evaporate, colling you off a little...

Anyhoo, made it back, got chewed out by the wife,

Enjoyed the hike anyway, BTW, the parasites lost the battle, My internal defenses were stronger, lol...

No Texas two-stepping or Montezuma's Revenge for me...

EDIT:
Fen
In ref to what you did at the lake in the dark, I and the wife did it at the public beach near Long Beach... didn't quite realize how visible we were from the fishing pier...didn't bother me so much, but the wife now...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.18.2008, 05:05 PM.

05.18.2008, 05:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Ah! I was right! A surprise whisked-off away for fun break. Hm, it sounds like you guys had so much fun, and I know exactly what you did at the lake in the dark. Doing that is wonderful but I've not done it in years!

Hm, parts of that story sound like they should be in the love thread.

Glad to have you back too safe and sound too!

Donka! Glad to be back safe and sound ^_^

Haha, the lake xD ... Arren, use your imagination ... or actually, don't. xP

It was loads of fun and there's some lovey bits in there too xD but that was to be expected, yeah? I'll see when I feel like writing about it xD

@ Husky: Wow, that sounds intense. I think I'll go on a trip by myself one day. Into the country that is...I've done that loads in the city but never outside of it. Except this one time when I was 4...on a beach. Scared my parents very badly xP

Ooh, as for the beach bit...haha, let's just make it clear that it was just girls. No guys anywhere near the water xD And we were very much hidden. ^_^

05.18.2008, 05:12 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Haha, the lake xD ... Arren, use your imagination ... or actually, don't. xP

Too late!

05.18.2008, 05:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh, as for the beach bit...haha, let's just make it clear that it was just girls. No guys anywhere near the water xD And we were very much hidden. ^_^ FEN quote

yeah, I kinda figured that out... I don't know whatever possessed us to do what we did, but we were out in the water and... and... N/m...

When I was 9 or 10, used to take the bus into downtown Long Beach by myself and go to a theater or the YMCA. When there I was competely on my own, One day after the movies, I decided to go wading at the beach and walked back into town at dusk and caught the wrong bus and had to transfer to another to get home. It was about 9 or 10pm when I finally got in the door.. needless to say, mom was just a trifle PO'd...

Kids can't do that nowadays... not safe!

EDIT: I think that I just remembered why I prob was'nt ever bothered about being OUT in public, so to speak.. When I went for swimming lessons at the YMCA, none of the boys wore suits... They weren't required and we didn't think about it... too concerned with trying to learn to swim... Now that was in 1956, can't do that now, for sure...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.18.2008, 05:43 PM.

05.18.2008, 05:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
EDIT: I think that I just remembered why I prob was'nt ever bothered about being OUT in public, so to speak.. When I went for swimming lessons at the YMCA, none of the boys wore suits... They weren't required and we didn't think about it... too concerned with trying to learn to swim... Now that was in 1956, can't do that now, for sure...

Maybe that's where the Village People song came from?

05.18.2008, 05:48 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds wonderful Fen! Lots of nice mini-adventures wrapped up in one big one! Hee, hee the thought of seven larking-about undergrads in a sinking boat... made me laugh.

And so good to have you back. Missed you! *hugs*

05.18.2008, 08:49 PM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Funny... this thread is called "Adventures" when I just recently got back from my "Adventure Trip". Hum... perhaps I'll have to tell you about it here rather than the highlight thread... but I don't think that I will because I've already started on the other one, ah well!

05.19.2008, 12:31 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks