QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Fave Books!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Fave Books! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Feel_the_Light
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.15.06
  Fave Books!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Feel_the_Light Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hello and hugs to all.
I thought i'd post a topic on books, seeing as we've got one for music and movies.
My favs are richard laymon (who died recently. ) and darren shan.
lauren xoxo.

07.19.2006, 05:35 PM Feel_the_Light is offline   Profile for Feel_the_Light Add Feel_the_Light to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.19.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by IluvHowl06 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i totally recommend Memoirs of a Geisha, all the Series of Unfortunate events, and my favorite - the Da Vinci Code.

07.19.2006, 06:04 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't know Richard Laymon had died, I read some of his stuff and he was ok!

Memoirs Of A Geisha is good, but it was ruined for me when I realised it was written by an American man! Lemony Snicket is great, really dark...but the Da Vinci Code is just mindless drivvel, most of it stolen from a book called The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail out in 1985, and frankly, Dan Brown has created loose stool water of the worse kind!!

I read every night, I enjoy it so much, it always amazes me when people say they don't like reading 'cos it's boring (I always think it shows a distinct lack of intellegence, and imagination! )

I like Terry Pratchett books, I've nearly collected the whole DiscWorld series!
Fave books are Harry Potter series (tragic I know but The Goblet Of Fire and The Half Blood Prince are really good books!), Hichhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (meaning all 5 books in the series), I remember really loving 'Hideaway' by Dean Koontz.

I read a lot of really different books, although I do prefer fantasy novels. At the moment I'm reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis for the second time, but I don't remember much of it, except some of the murders!! After that, I'm planning to read some Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!

Can't rememer anything else specifically, but I'm sure I'll be posting in this thread again!
Good one Howell!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 07.19.2006, 06:31 PM.

07.19.2006, 06:26 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Sunchaser
Totoro

Registration Date: 02.22.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sunchaser Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Huh...well I'm currently reading a bunch of books. Here are some of my favorites:

The Abhorsen Trilogy-Garth Nix

Tithe and Valiant-Holly Black (A Modern Fairy Tale...)

Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen-Tamora Pierce (basically any books by her)

All books by Sarah Dessen...I especially like "this lullaby"
The Thief Lord-Cornelia Funke

Twilight, don't remember who it's written by, but it's an awesome book about vampires.

First signature made by kittycatjess. Thank you so much!
Second signature also made by kittycatjess...it's our joint sig!
Third signature made by mpw3d . Thank you!

07.19.2006, 08:20 PM Sunchaser is offline   Profile for Sunchaser Add Sunchaser to your buddy list Send an Email to Sunchaser
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Terry BrooksPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Terry Brooks is my favourite author of all time ~ he is simply, the best. I first found his frst book on a dusty shelf in the school library, and no-one had taken it out for some years. I was captivated by the first few pages, and the preamble; so I took it out.

I'm now half way through his last book in the legendary Shannara series. Terry Brooks is a genius, his skill at exploring a multitude of different themes (magic, truth, love, deception, good, evil, emotions, life and how it changes us) while creating an unparalled plot is just one of the reasons that I respect him so much!

Ok, I went on about him too much, but I cannot recommend his books enough. Sometime in your life, you have to read the Shannara series.

Although, I do like other fantasy books, I won't consume your time talking about them ...

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

07.20.2006, 01:25 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

That is so cool! I love Terry Partchett books! Ive only got 3 of his books but ive read about 5 or 6

cheers

07.20.2006, 03:12 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Cloud
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cloud Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Memoirs Of A Geisha is good, but it was ruined for me when I realised it was written by an American man!

Well- Im surprised, that so many people here red the same books
I had the same feeling- I loved the book (and I think the film was well done!)

quote:
but the Da Vinci Code is just mindless drivvel, most of it stolen from a book called The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail out in 1985, and frankly, Dan Brown has created loose stool water of the worse kind!!

Thats a matter of taste, but I think he made a really exciting book- the content is not new and not his own discovery, but I dont think that he stolen it, cause the knowledge is in many books and whats really fascinate is the story about the searches and thats not stolen.
Nevertheless- the film (with Tom "urks" Hanks) was very very bad shit!!!

I like old stuff, like the ancient tales (I love Homers Ilias- hard to read but wonderful story! ; or the story about Oedipus) and fantasy is alsome (Terry Pratchett is my fave too!) but I read also Carson McCullers or Virginia Woolf ore german authors like Schiller (I dont like Goethe!)

I dont can say whats my fave book ...
At the moment I read Terry Pratchetts "Carpe Jugulum"

I luv the susuwatari^^

07.20.2006, 04:36 AM Cloud is offline   Profile for Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Cloud
I dont can say whats my fave book ...
At the moment I read Terry Pratchetts "Carpe Jugulum"

That was the first Terry Pratchett book I ever read!! I love the Igors, or should I say, Igorth!! It was the book that got me into Pratchett, and is also the first book that he wrote about vampires!

07.20.2006, 09:15 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by IluvHowl06 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
I didn't know Richard Laymon had died, I read some of his stuff and he was ok!

Memoirs Of A Geisha is good, but it was ruined for me when I realised it was written by an American man! Lemony Snicket is great, really dark...but the Da Vinci Code is just mindless drivvel, most of it stolen from a book called The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail out in 1985, and frankly, Dan Brown has created loose stool water of the worse kind!!

I read every night, I enjoy it so much, it always amazes me when people say they don't like reading 'cos it's boring (I always think it shows a distinct lack of intellegence, and imagination! )

Fave books are Harry Potter series (tragic I know but The Goblet Of Fire and The Half Blood Prince are really good books!), Hichhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (meaning all 5 books in the series), I remember really loving 'Hideaway' by Dean Koontz.

I read a lot of really different books, although I do prefer fantasy novels. At the moment I'm reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis for the second time, but I don't remember much of it, except some of the murders!! After that, I'm planning to read some Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!

Can't rememer anything else specifically, but I'm sure I'll be posting in this thread again!
Good one Howell!

well, it was a joy to read though

07.20.2006, 12:50 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

I liked the Da Vinci code, but not the movie. yuck. I love Nora Roberts books!

07.20.2006, 06:47 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
Sunchaser
Totoro

Registration Date: 02.22.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sunchaser Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, Nora Roberts is a good author.

First signature made by kittycatjess. Thank you so much!
Second signature also made by kittycatjess...it's our joint sig!
Third signature made by mpw3d . Thank you!

07.20.2006, 08:39 PM Sunchaser is offline   Profile for Sunchaser Add Sunchaser to your buddy list Send an Email to Sunchaser
micg huz
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hello everybody. hope you all is wonderfull. well i havnt been on this site for ages - in truth its really hard for me to get net access so i havnt been to any sites - if i could this would be the one id be at always without a doubt. but iv missed all you guys and hello to all you new super cool members too - hello - well i was just browsin and i couldnt miss the oppurtunity to tell you all about kurt vonegut - that s the author - hes written loads of books - i just read 'sloughterhouse five' (dont worry its not as brutal as the name suggests) and it was soooooooo goooooooooood - i recomend it to anyone with a sense of humour. really really funny.
has anyone read it?
okay dudes bye again for a while.
peace and love tings homies.

07.24.2006, 03:39 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

*rubs eyes in disbelief*

Is that really you? Yay! It's amazing to see you again

Actually, I haven't even heard 'slaughterhouse five', but I'll investigate...

I've just read the last novel in Terry Brooks' Shannara series, and I cried... I would pay someone every last penny I earn for the rest of my life if they did't enjoy it ~ I know you will be touched. Nothing I have ever read, nor will read, will ever approach Terry Brooks' creations.

Ok, I'll stop going on about him again... really nice to see you again micg huz, good luck with whatever you're doing.

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

07.24.2006, 04:12 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

my fave is the lion boy trilagy- i know it sounds stupid bt der really good and highly recomended

07.25.2006, 11:31 AM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lets see i loved memoirs of a geisha, wives and daughters, anything by elizabeth gaskell. she's not a very known writer which sucks cuz she's really good.
grapes of wrath john steinbeck, joy luck club-amy tan. pride and prejudice-jane austen. kristen britain

07.25.2006, 12:08 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Tsuko
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.29.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tsuko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like Tolkien's and Goethe's books.

--------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

05.09.2007, 01:55 PM Tsuko is offline   Profile for Tsuko Add Tsuko to your buddy list Send an Email to Tsuko
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

just 2 of my favs: his dark materials trilogy and a series of unfortunate events

05.09.2007, 02:18 PM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
his dark materials trilogy

YES.

05.09.2007, 02:26 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
His dark Materials is made into movies now.
Daniel Craig plays.. ah! forgot the name.
Her uncle who starts with an A.

I must say.. I also like harry Potter, but there is better stuff out there in my opinion.
The "song of Ice and Fire" series is truly brilliant. Probably the deepest and most intriguing (in terms of intrigues) fantasy series out there since Lord of the Rings.
My favourite book ever is possibly "Jonathan Strange and Mr. norrell" by Susanna Clarke. Its also fantasy, although the special thing is that it seems sooo real.
I also really like the ARtemis Fowl books. I mean I kopw that they are originally targeted at a slightly younger audience, but they are sooo awesome! The one liners, the cool characters, reallly cool.
Love em.

Just read the 4th one after an approximate 2 year break from the series. want to buy the fifth one now.
But have no money (but a 360.. remember?).

05.09.2007, 03:41 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
PlasticMedia
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PlasticMedia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
I also really like the ARtemis Fowl books. I mean I kopw that they are originally targeted at a slightly younger audience, but they are sooo awesome! The one liners, the cool characters, reallly cool.
Love em.

Just read the 4th one after an approximate 2 year break from the series. want to buy the fifth one now.
But have no money (but a 360.. remember?).

Artemis Fowl's okay, I like the last few the best. The sixth one is defiantly worth buying.

05.10.2007, 01:51 AM PlasticMedia is offline   Profile for PlasticMedia Add PlasticMedia to your buddy list Send an Email to PlasticMedia
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks