QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Give me some opinions.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Give me some opinions. » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Give me some opinions.Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We're planning for the charity Christmas concert in December. I have the pleasure of opening the night (and a few more later). I don't play any Christmas music though. It's also a "general arts and dance" show, not just music, so it's going to be a general audience and I don't know what kind of music I should play for this "mainstream" crowd. The only people I've ever played for are people who came specifically to hear the kind of stuff I play. Do you think this piece sounds suitable for the "holiday" occasion, and as "mainstream" listeners, would you like it or not? That's what I need to know. We want to "please" the crowd so we can get more donations and maybe some "repeat" audience members for next time.

I'd appreciate the help here.

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.22.2007, 12:31 AM.

11.21.2007, 11:45 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thats a nice piece, not really mainstream but if you could play it id be impressed

11.22.2007, 12:13 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anybody else? I'm not exactly asking for a huge favour here and it's for a good cause...

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.22.2007, 01:15 PM.

11.22.2007, 01:15 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i dont think its the thread, i think its the lack of members being on for the last little wile

11.22.2007, 01:17 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You should play a jazzy version of Sleigh Ride.
Cant go wrong with that.

Unless youre not the type to adapt stuff, or the type for jazzy stuff.

11.22.2007, 03:06 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love Debussy, so I'm a bit biased, but I would definitely use the song.

11.22.2007, 05:29 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well the issue is that the concert is next week and I don't want to have to learn anything new and perform it within days. And I'm already playing some Christmas stuff later but I need to open the show with something that "mainstream" crowds would like.

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.22.2007, 06:16 PM.

11.22.2007, 06:13 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Theowne
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
I love Debussy, so I'm a bit biased, but I would definitely use the song.

Yeah, I can play the majority of the solo Debussy pieces, I'm just not sure if they're "light" enough to open this sort of thing with.

11.22.2007, 06:16 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I suppose I'd be a part of those mainstreamers and so if I went to an event and heard that being played, I would like it very much. It was really nice to listen to ^_^

11.22.2007, 10:01 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Play
Reverie
or
Le Fille aux Cheveu de Lin

I think something slower and more melodic would hit it better than something faster.

11.23.2007, 07:30 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If its a "mainstream" audience (whatever that is) I would play one of the "popular classics", something that most people would know but certainly something upbeat that will also entertain the less serious members of the audience.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.23.2007, 08:55 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Play
Reverie
or
Le Fille aux Cheveu de Lin

I think something slower and more melodic would hit it better than something faster.

Good ideas. I just wanted it to have something of a holiday vibe to it, and I thought maybe this one would, to a less specific audience.

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank If its a "mainstream" audience (whatever that is)

The word 'mainstream' refers to "the prevailing current of thought; example, "his thinking was in the American mainstream" "

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.23.2007, 01:11 PM.

11.23.2007, 01:11 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks