QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Hi !
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Hi ! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
laazd,
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.27.10
  Hi !Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by laazd, Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey everyone , i just joined yesterday and i'm already addicted! I live in Canada .. in a boring little city with not much to do... I'm a 16 year old student that's very into studio ghibli & anime! I've been watching Studio Ghibli movies since i was 3 and now have my own little collection of 19 movies , some which are pre-ghibli. I have to say my favorite is My Neighbor Totoro just because it makes me feel like I'm 5 years old again, i get so giddy everytime i watch it! So yeah ... that's me! i would love to make my collection a lot biggger , does anyone have any input on movies, what i should add to my collection or not add!? thanks for reaaaading.

09.28.2010, 04:12 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, laazd...

Here's hoping that you will enjoy staying around a long, long while...

As for recommending other movies, you don't say whether you are refering to Ghibli or others. Not knowing just what Ghiblis' you have makes suggesting others difficult.

At any rate, again, Welcome to the Tavern!!!

have some tea and cake:

heh heh heh

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.28.2010, 10:47 PM.

09.28.2010, 10:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello! Welcome!
Hope you stay for a while and become active in forums.
BTW DO HW AND OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS FIRST.
as i should be doing right now...
I seriously need someone to smack me on the side of my head and tell me to do it...
anyways! ENJOY the forums and discussions!

09.29.2010, 06:26 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
laazd,
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by laazd, Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

husky51 : thank you. and sorry about not making it clear. i have : my neighbor totoro , porco rosso, only yesterday, ponyo, grave of the fireflies, spirited away, pom poko, kiki's delivery service, castle in the sky, howls moving castle, whisper of the heart, princess mononoke, the cat returns & a documentary called 'A Ghibli Artisan - Kazuo Oga Exhibition - The Man Who Painted Totoro's Forest' and for pre-ghibli i have the little norse prince, the castle of cagliostro, gauche the cellist and nausicaä of the valley of the wind. for the other anime movies, i dont know if you heard of '5 centimeters per second: a chain of short stories about their distance' it's by a director by the name of Makoto Shinkai. I love that movie. so any anime movies like those would be great. i haven't opened my eyes to too many anime movies outside of studio ghibli and i know i should.

jusomekid : thanks for the welcome! I really appreciate it. Do your homework! haha! i've been doing homework every since i got home from school but every time i get to take a break i check out the forums!

09.29.2010, 11:01 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

laazd,
I have all of the above except for some of the pre-Ghibli and the documentary. I DO have Castle of Cagliostro and Nausicaa..
"5 centimeters..." is also one of my favorites
My fav Ghibli is "Whisper of the Heart"

One anime that I'm watching now is "Kare Kano" also known as "His and Her Circumstances"

others you might like are
"Haruhi Suzumiya"
"Toradora"
"Kino's Journey"
"Negima"
"Chobits"
"Love Hina"
"Tokyo Godfathers"
"Angelic Layer"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@jusomekid...

consider yourself SMACK'D by the old guy!!! heh heh heh git to work!!!!!!

as for Ghibli, there is also "My Neighbors, the Yamadas"

These are just a few of the many, many good anime out there and I'm sure that others will recommend more.

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.29.2010, 11:38 PM.

09.29.2010, 11:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
laazd,
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by laazd, Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

husky51 : thank you , i checked some of the shows out on youtube and i really like them and on top of that tomorrow is pay day so i get to buy some new anime to add to my collection! i like his and her circumstances , i heard of it before because totoro had a cameo in one of the episodes! i also liked toradora! by the way have you heard of the movie: brave story? i think it was directed by Kôichi Chigira who i heard is Miyazaki's assistant but i'm not 100% sure on that.

09.30.2010, 06:33 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

haven't heard of it, but I'll check it out...

Just finished watching both the VHS version and the DVD version of His and Her:

except for the quality of the recording (my players fault, I think) I liked the VHS version best. Of course, the DVD was subbed or dubbed. My complaint with the series was the constant replaying and rehashing of the past episodes many, many times. I liked the story overall, tho...

09.30.2010, 11:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey Laazd, welcome to the tavern!

10.02.2010, 02:57 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
saisai
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.28.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saisai Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

welcome, i've not been here long myself but I would suggest you read any CLAMP stuff and Ranama 1/2 if you haven't already. its a classic.
I recommend you read Chobits before you watch the anime, I guarantee you will not put it down. Angelic Layer as mentioned before is really good too but not long enough, think there are only 4 or 5 books.

Its an expensive hobby is manga heh

10.03.2010, 10:38 AM saisai is offline   Profile for saisai Add saisai to your buddy list Homepage of saisai
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay!

And welcome to you too, saisai!

10.03.2010, 06:20 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
laazd,
Tanuki

husky 51 : thanks for the info. my dvd player is not playing too many of my dvds, i mean it does play but it skips a lot and when i watch it on my brothers it works perfectly. so i need a new one! oh and i couldn't find anything at best buy or future shop. they barely have any anime! where would be a good place to buy them?

Yay! Kiki : thank you!!!

saisai : thanks you for the suggestions , i've written them all down but i can't find too many stores where i can buy them here in british columbia. i think i'll have to buy them online. where do you get yours?

fenkashi thank you & i'm already loving it

10.04.2010, 11:18 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
laazd,
Tanuki

Ohhh & @ husky51 : i saw in another forum (maybe i shouldnt be talking about this here , but i'm already here and lazy) that you had a totoro and kodama tattoo! i'm turning 17 soon and i know it's not legal and really stupid to get a tattoo so young but ive talked to my parents already and they finally gave in. so i want to get my first on my birthday and i was wondering if a totoro tattoo is worth it. i want chibi totoro behind my ear and i know i wont regret it. i've loved my neighbor totoro all my life and if anyone walked into my room they would know that, HAHA! do you think it's worth it? especially at my age.

10.04.2010, 11:37 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@laazd...
first of all, I would NEVER get a tattoo behind the ear, I know that you're a girl and it would probably be hidden behind your hair, but if a job interviewer saw it, it might keep you from getting a job. Somewhere on your front or back or leg might be more appropriate.

That being said, I did not get my first tattoo until 2003 when I was in Hawaii with my two sons and we all got the same 4-word tattoo on our left shoulders, kinda of a father/sons bonding thing. We then went onboard the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz CVN68 on a five-day Tiger Cruise back to San Diego.

I would hold off until I was at least 21 or more until you got the tat because you might have a change of heart later and by then it's too late. btw, I'm 64 now and I was born in Vancouver. Got relatives in Victoria and out in the Kamloops area...

Just my thoughts..

-----------------------

note:
when you get an afterthought that you want to add to your post, go ahead and just use 'edit'... keeps it more connected.

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.06.2010, 06:56 AM.

10.05.2010, 07:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

welcome Hope you will stay and enjoy the tavern and us

10.06.2010, 04:24 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
saisai
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.28.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saisai Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

you can get them at a store called 'page 45', also Blackwells sometime have specific stores. Of course there are anime cosplay events like The Excel in London that sell all sorts, there must be a couple in Canada but if all else fails... ebay!

10.06.2010, 06:33 PM saisai is offline   Profile for saisai Add saisai to your buddy list Homepage of saisai
laazd,
Tanuki

husky 51 : i don't think i would get it on my leg just because my legs are so small! it would probably hurt because there's barely any muscle there! ahah. yeah i think a tattoo should have meaning and the reason for behind the ear is because no one can see it there unless i want to show them. But i see why you would do it with your sons , that has meaning to it. i really don't want to get it and regret it so i think i'll wait, especially because everyone is telling me it's a bad idea. thanks for the input husky!!

kemi : thank you!

saisai : alright thanks so much and for ebay, you need a paypal or credit card right? and do you know if amazon is the same?

10.06.2010, 08:52 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

no problem, glad to help when I can...

as far as the meaning of it goes, with a lifelong attraction to "Totoro..." would be reason enough if you still feel that way in a few years. And I was thinking a placement on the ankle or the back of the shoulder, something like that... when and if you decide to get a tattoo of a chibi totoro... would be kinda cute.

again tho, I recommend waiting a few years first... Both of my sons got their tongues pierced when they were 17 and have long since removed them. This is just an example of a fad thing that went by the wayside as they got older...

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.06.2010, 10:17 PM.

10.06.2010, 10:07 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

First of all, welcome and nice to meet 'ya!

I'm seventeen (well, in a few days) and I know a lot of people thinking of getting or have tattoos. Those who had it done professionally seem pretty happy with the decision though those who didn't get it done at a good tattoo parlour really regret it. It might be worth waiting until you're older and can save up the money to afford to go to a really good place

Coincidentally, I don't intend to get any tattoos with the exception of the trio of walking Totoros along the base of my spine. That or Teto from Nausicaa on my shoulder/hip. It will definitely be Ghibli related though. I genuinely see those films as something which has shaped my life in a big way, and for that reason I'd want one - not the cuteness factor (that's just a bonus). I'm going to wait till i'm older though, with more experience so I'm 100% sure it's what I want.

10.07.2010, 10:48 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just realised I hadn't welcomed you already. So hello! I hope you have fun here.

On the tattoo note, I also wouldn't recommend behind the ear, because it's a place where it would be easy for it to accidentally show. And obviously it's up to you if you feel that you've considered it properly and know it's what you want, but if not, then you should definitely wait until you're more sure about it.

Post last edited by arren18 on 10.07.2010, 11:30 AM.

10.07.2010, 11:29 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
laazd,
Tanuki

Husky 51 : that's true. out of all the movies, my neighbor totoro has made the biggest impact on my life. i mean he's everywhere. i have the theme song for my ringtone i have him on my wallpaper.. i have so many stuffed animals and keychains, i'm so obsessed. my friends think i'm crazy. yeah i think i'll wait until i'm for sure about everything 100%, like where to get it. yeah, that's kind of the thing in b.c now... everyone around me is getting inked and i think i got jelouse.. maybe that's not the best reason to get a tattoo !

Nausicaa_Cat : thank you & it's nice to meet you too! that's so true , all the good places charge up to 80$ an hour which can add up to a lot! but it's worth it when you have the money. that's such a good idea but i heard that the spine hurts a lot!!! & Teto is so cute , on the shoulder, that would be awesome! yeah i think it's best we wait , we're so young and we have a lot of time to think about it.

arren18 : thanks so much! yeah it would be a problem for me because whenever i'm looking down at work or a book i'll put my hair behind my ear so i would definetly show it by accident. haha i'm obviously unsure about it when i have to ask in a forum, it's just a thing you have to think about for a long time and i still feel so unsure , hmmmmmm.. thanks though!

10.07.2010, 08:13 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks