QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Snowman
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » The Snowman » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  The SnowmanPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Happy holidays.

12.13.2007, 01:27 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Cloud
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cloud Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thx for posting this! First time i saw it -lovely little story and with a very sad ending
I like the music!

I luv the susuwatari^^

12.13.2007, 03:34 AM Cloud is offline   Profile for Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks Theowne, I have this on VHS video and watch it every Christmas. Now I have a copy on my PC as well, its become one of the true great Christmas stories.

12.13.2007, 06:53 PM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, I thought more people would appreciate stuff like "The Snowman", especially on Ghibli forum.

Post last edited by Theowne on 12.17.2007, 11:03 PM.

12.17.2007, 10:43 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i wanna watch it, im just so busy . but when i get a free 30minutes ill watch it

12.17.2007, 11:20 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry I haven't posted until now; I guess I just never noticed the thread.

This is definitely one of favorite Christmas films, probably second only to It's a Wonderful Life. The animation is brilliant, and the end is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for posting this.

12.17.2007, 11:22 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was wondering why you posted the link, this has been a family favourite of ours for decades. I clearly remember it's first showing which must have been in the early 1980s. Is it a story you've only just discovered?

But I agree it's a charming and magical story, it reminds me of my own childhood whenever I see it. The young Aled Jones sang the "Walking in the Air" theme before his voice broke - he's now in his forties or fifties I think!

12.18.2007, 08:56 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Ramah
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.05.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ramah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Jeez, he ain't that old. I'd say he is in mid-to-late-thirties.

12.18.2007, 10:40 AM Ramah is offline   Profile for Ramah Add Ramah to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He'll be 38 on 29 December - so you were closest - just!

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.18.2007, 10:48 AM.

12.18.2007, 10:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"The Snowman" is a true christmas classic, I don't know anyone who hasn't seen it here in the UK.

Another cartoon in the same style is "The Man Who Planted Trees", which was apparently a great inspiration for Miyazaki. It's also a wonderful little story, but much harder to find.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

Post last edited by E_Hakki on 12.18.2007, 01:22 PM.

12.18.2007, 01:22 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I was wondering why you posted the link

Er...what exactly is strange about it? Posting a link on a web forum?

Post last edited by Theowne on 12.19.2007, 05:47 PM.

12.19.2007, 05:41 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh cool! I love this movie ^_^ I'll watch it again when I have some more time. Thanks for posting the link!

12.19.2007, 07:32 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The animation is wonderfully amazing. The ending was sad but good. I like the part when the snowman flew in the air with the child. Once again fantastic animation. It was obviously done with some kind of colored pencils, wich is why I'm so amazed at The Snowman's animation.

Check out my music:

12.27.2007, 10:13 AM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks