QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you doing right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What are you doing right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Author
Post [  «    ...  205  206  207  208  209  210  211  212  213    »  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Studying...well taking a 5 minute break...which is now over. Later! Not that anyone's on. I swear, you guys all leave as soon as I come on.

04.29.2008, 10:11 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
filter
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Search for Posts by filter Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

studying for my next test, next week...

04.29.2008, 10:14 PM filter is offline   Profile for filter Add filter to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We do not leave... you were there when I was on, and you didn't post anything... and no one else was on, so I just gave up on waiting!

04.29.2008, 10:16 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
filter
Ohmu

Search for Posts by filter Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ha....ha.....yea........ What?

04.29.2008, 10:22 PM filter is offline   Profile for filter Add filter to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

huh?

04.29.2008, 10:24 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
filter
Ohmu

you said

"We do not leave... you were there when I was on, and you didn't post anything... and no one else was on, so I just gave up on waiting!"

whats that about?

04.29.2008, 10:29 PM filter is offline   Profile for filter Add filter to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh my goodness, my concentration has totally fallen through...great. Ah well, I've still got 5 days...

Lol, Kiki, if I'm not posting and I'm on, it usually means I'm elsewhere or PMing or something or you know, I have nothing to say...

Edit @ filter: She was talking to me xP

Post last edited by fenkashi on 04.29.2008, 10:30 PM.

04.29.2008, 10:29 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hhaha, sitting here watching Kiki trying to comment about "mate" and every one from down under is explaining it and ... its.... fun
Then I come here and she's sparring with filter ... fen is there and I'm enjoying this all... brightens my day...

Have I mentioned that I love the people in here... so fun, so diverse...OK, Ok strange to sometimes...lol

04.29.2008, 10:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i'm waiting for lunch to end so i can go to english again..... ...and then ..graphic design

04.29.2008, 10:53 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im pondering the reasons why my baseball team sucks. The list gets longer by the minute. I think Im going to watch some Death Note. Might as well. Maybe read some Ishmael later before I pack it in for the night.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

04.29.2008, 10:57 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
filter
Ohmu

Husky! you rumin good on ya "Friend"

04.30.2008, 12:34 AM filter is offline   Profile for filter Add filter to your buddy list
nonononi
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.10.08
  Search for Posts by nonononi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In graphic design, not doing work. Just listening to someone's music behind me, and watching Farren draw. It looks good, by the way!

04.30.2008, 12:45 AM nonononi is offline   Profile for nonononi Add nonononi to your buddy list Homepage of nonononi
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Reading an email. One of those forwards...

quote:
What it took to get an 8th grade education in 1895...

Remember when grandparents and great-grandparents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina, Kansas, USA . It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, and reprinted by the Salina Journal.

8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
2. Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph.
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of 'lie,''play,' and 'run.'
5. Define case; illustrate each case.
6 What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

Arithmetic (Time,1 hour 15 minutes)

1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs. for tare?
4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per meter?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt

U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)

1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.

Orthography (Time, one hour)
[Do we even know what this is??]

1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication?
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals.
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.'
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane , vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)

1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas ?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North America.
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
7. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.

Notice that the exam took FIVE HOURS to complete.

Gives the saying 'he only had an 8th grade education' a whole new meaning, doesn't it?!

Lol, it was fun figuring out how many of those I could answer.

04.30.2008, 12:56 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Wait... no way! That is so very easy... you're kidding, right? And where was science? I absolutely despise science... five hours for that?!?!?!?@?@

04.30.2008, 01:05 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

drawing

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

04.30.2008, 01:06 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

@ Kiki: Remember you're talking about Canadian students. I dunno...let's see, most people I know found it pretty hard because a) we don't learn grammar here (it's expected that since you speak it, you must know it...most people simply use it without giving it thought and even then, there are people that have terrible grammar) b) we don't learn American geography c) none of us care enough to remember American history from before America became a superpower d) no clue what orthography is.

So they can answer the arithmetics questions ... except how big is a bushel? And what's a tare?

But honestly, I can't say it'd be much of a challenge if we'd actually learned the stuff.

04.30.2008, 01:19 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Oh, yeah. Here we have pointless long hours of learning grammar at an early age, up till about seventh grade even... still sometimes you have to learn the stuff, but it's never on tests!

04.30.2008, 01:38 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Yeah, never had a grammar lesson in my life. The only reason I know anything about it is from French and Spanish class. You kind of need to understand what, say, a past particle is in English before you can in Spanish xD

I'm trying to write an email. Except my brain has flown off somewhere and the email is sounding very ungraceful.

04.30.2008, 01:41 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Oh, ha ha, I know the feeling...

I always space out, too...

04.30.2008, 01:45 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Unfortunately, that's why I dropped out. I, being a reader from a very early age, was always able to pull a C or a D grade in English while learning in Calif. When I moved to Virginia, it was radically different. 90% of your grade was on grammar, digramming sentences, etc.. Another thing I never grasped the principle of. Never mind that I koud writtrn gooder sentengraphs enuogh gooder.

lol

I can write a good sentence, but if asked WHY is the adverb where it is all I can say is, I dunno!!! Don't judge my writing by what is in here... I type freely and don't bother with correct usage, etc... Just another form of communication to me...

I'm typing words like crazy...

@fen... past particle??? is that a used atom ion???

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.30.2008, 01:48 AM.

04.30.2008, 01:46 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  205  206  207  208  209  210  211  212  213    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks