QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  655  656  657  658  659  660  661  662  663  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know about Hong Kong, but food was pretty cheap in Shanghai when I was there briefly - even in very touristy places. Souvenirs were expensive though.

Long time no see Koda! How have things been, and what are your plans for your trip here?

Kaz, congratulations! That result sounds very fast, or is that my imagination?

05.25.2018, 04:29 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

wl: almost one year since i started working. all this japan talk is making me want to consider for higher study . it is quite cool that everyone is going/been/is in japan. Personally i dont really want to go to japan as the value for the degree is not much in my field but for vacation it is quite cool. Specially the gardens and natural beauties. Currently i have a slow life, should i speed it up a little? not sure.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.25.2018, 10:05 AM.

05.25.2018, 10:04 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My time in Japan was a long time ago and I was in the Navy then. Plus, I had the benefit of my step-dad being on the same ship. We had a house there and my mother and sister were there as well so I didn't have to be back on the ship every night while we were in Japan. This gave me the opportunity to travel around a bit on the weekends.

@saviour
As for the speed of your life, I think I understand your meaning to be that you are not doing a lot in your spare time outside of work or study. If that is what you meaning is, IMO you do need to get out and about more, but to me in the States that has a different meaning itself.

Here, I would travel around and meet people, women and men, for friendship while seeing other parts of my country and the world. This I have done, to some extant, but this does raise the subject of cost, which for me is somewhat limited. I do realize that you are limited in meeting women that are not family, etc, but it shouldn't stop you from seeing sights with other people and crowds and seeing things from their viewpoint at the same time. (did that make sense? I just woke up, lol)...

As for changing your 'slow' life, that is something that only you can answer. I recommend it, but don't do it just because you think that it is something that you MUST do. If you 'speed' up your life, do it because it is something that YOU want to do. My life is slow right now, but I am comfortable with that and it is right for me at this time.

I am glad that I was able to see something of the world around me before I settled down with a wife and children and the added responsibilities of a family of my own. Being alone and on your own gives you a bit of freedom, as it did me, to get around and SEE things, not just thru the eyes of mom and dad, but thru my own eyes and the the eyes of others as well. The only responsibility that I had then was to pay my rent and the utilities and insurance and upkeep for my car. The car was partially paid for from a trust fund I received from being hit by a car when I was 12 years old.

I left home when I was 18 and joined the Navy and ended up in the Chicago area for about a year until I finished training and had orders to my next duty station. I was lucky and got my orders changed and was with my Dad on the same ship. So here I was, back home again, lol... I still was living at home back here in the States and got out of the Navy after 4 years and got a civilian job. Then I moved into my own apartment and was truly on my own at the age of 23 or so.

I met a lot of other people and made friends with many of them, one family I met thru my work I am still friends with even now. Others, I have lost track of or they have died. Then I met the woman who was to become my wife and THAT brought about a whole new set of responsibilities that I couldn't have imagined before then. I now have three wonderful children and 20 grandchildren (some step and some half-bro and sis to others, but all loved).

I guess what I am trying to say to you, saviour, is that YOU have to decide what you want to do in and with your life. If possible, don't let others force you into doing things that you have a choice in. It is your life, enjoy it as best you can within the means that you have. You've only got one life to live, so again, enjoy it as best you can. If it is at a slow pace, then so be it. Don't feel pressured that you should 'speed up' your life because others insist that you do so.

'nuff said...

05.25.2018, 01:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks a lot, guys.

@arren - Yeah, pretty fast! Just under a month. Honestly wasn't expecting to find out my grade until July, we thought it might have been a mistake at first but other people with different supervisors have their grades too, so it's no technical error, thankfully.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 05.25.2018, 01:53 PM.

05.25.2018, 01:53 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks everyone! Now I've gotten used to the idea a bit more and done some research I am really excited

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Wow, Tokyo! That's surprising. I was under the impression that was pretty rare.

I'm not so sure that private/public schools would affect your working hours much. I don't think you need to really worry about that.

That's what I thought, but going off the JET Programme reddit page alone it looks like a fair percentage of people have gotten Tokyo. Apparently there's an increasing number of people being sent (mostly to private schools)

Congrats on your results Kaz!!!

05.25.2018, 05:31 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky
it is not like i am not happy or anything. I have a good job with a good pay(my country's term ofcourse),there is fair amount of challenge too. So i cant complain. But you know they say "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" i sometimes fall victim to this. It is called peer-pressure, when i see facebook posts or someone else doing something i am not currently doing i feel like should i do it? Generally i know some of the things wont make me happy. But this foreign study thing is confusing as it can get. On one hand there is adventure and promise of better life, but on the other hand there is hardship, uncertainty and loneliness. So i am in a fix, as i am getting comfortable with my life everyday. Currently i am thinking about giving it a try next year, lets see what happens.

I forgot to congratulate. Congratulation to Kaz and NC. Have a blast.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.26.2018, 07:01 AM.

05.26.2018, 06:59 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL:
Taking my neighbor-lady friend who helped me so much back when I was in hospital out to dinner tonight, so looking forward to that. Teri, her sister and I would go out to play bingo or go to dinner at times in the past.

-------------------------------------------------

@saviour
It and when you elect to do these changes, might I suggest that you go with some easy ones first. Like, if you've never fished, then try fishing. Never ridden a horse, try it for a while. Never driven a car, if you have a buddy that will let you, drive around in a parking lot some time... hahaha, when it is empty of course... Painting or some other form of artwork. Metalwork, clay modeling, origami, even. The point would be to do something that you don't ordinarily do, just for the fun of it or to see if you like it. Like my hobby now is learning about the history of my area that led to me being appointed a County Historian(1 of 10). Oh yeah, and anime and manga and Ghibli!!! lol

When I was still a child, I started drawing profiles of my friends, if they would sit still long enough for me. I wasn't great at it, but it was recognizable. I learned to ride over a 2-year period, going most every weekend. I was eventually allowed to help saddle and bridle the horses sometimes in the mornings. I'm not a great horseman, but I was doing something that I loved to do and had the ability, that if the horse shied away at something unexpectedly, I could stay in the saddle.

I did a tremendous amount of putting together plastic model kits and making them look as real as possible; cars, planes, ships and did this for many, many years. Some people liked my ship models so much that they asked if they could display them! I said that only if they were in a glass case to people wouldn't handle them and break them. They got the case. I like to think that my ship models were as good as Saddletanks train cars, which look realistic to my eye.
The point is, saviour, if you're going to try something new, go slow, try some easy things first and see how it goes...

The best that I can say is to enjoy your life as much as possible and find things to do, legally of course, LOL, that YOU like to do in your spare time... (No robbing banks, etc).

Good Luck, my friend...

05.26.2018, 11:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

@husky
thank you for your kind words. My hobbies include politics and business, not exactly easy things to start doing . I will think about what thing is there that is easy and will make me happy too. Great suggestion by the way that i should start doing easier things first.

05.26.2018, 12:51 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: going through the last 4/5 pages of this thread and catching up with everyone's lives. I'm glad everyone is doing well!
Arren - congrats on the new job how's it going?
Saddles - where did you move?? Models looking on point.
NC - sooo excited for you. I'm glad it worked out after all the uncertainty haha. Definitely want to see photos of your adventure!
Kaz - you're awesome and congrats! What's next?
Husky - glad to see you're still kicking around

Other lights. In laws are visiting next week and staying doe 3 weeks! I haven't really spent much time with them so this will be interesting. Not ready lol.

Feeling exhausted with my job. Time to move on but not sure where to? Also caught up with an old high school friend and it's amazing how we're almost 30 and still have no idea what to do with ourselves professionally speaking.

On the bright side of things, roadtripping with hubs in a month so that countdown is keeping things happy

06.02.2018, 12:52 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oooh! A Fenkashi! They are rare these days.

Glad to hear you're doing well.

I only moved about 40 miles to Peterborough, a city in Cambridgeshire that's more towards the east coast. Still excellent road communications from here north, south and west plus its sunnier.

Thanks for your comments on the models. You can find more here; it would be lovely to read your comments:

https://www.facebook.com/martin.soilleuxcardwell

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.03.2018, 05:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello fen! Good to see you!

Work is good. It isn't the huge change I was going for, but it's different from the old job in some key ways, so I think it was the right choice. I was actually at a work party last night! It was fun.

Highlight: I went to this Ghibli exhibition today. I'd been meaning to go for a while and I finally got a chance. It was reeeally busy (I had to wait for 40 minutes just to get in...) but it was good to see! There was a lot of stuff to look at, and a pretty big part about planes and the history of flight, which I didn't realise was going to be there.

06.03.2018, 07:59 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

FEN, An oldie, but a goodie... lol, only 30??? Oh, I wish... No, not 30, just about 20 years younger or so... lol I'm kicking, just not as high as I once could..lol

What job are you doing now, if you don't mind me asking?

Have fun with the in's... Isn't there some kind of adage about fish and company being best done with after 3-days? Or something like that?..lol I'm only funning with ya. I hope that you enjoy their stay. My mother-in-law hated me at first... She disliked the idea of a guy only 13 yrs younger that herself dating her daughter. She was one of my passengers on my schoolbus (the girl, not the mother) and for a period of time was the only passenger while traveling from one school to another. We'd talk a bit and one thing led to another and a years later, after she turned 18...hahahahaha, no, i'm kidding. She was 17 when we met and I was 27. I had finally matured enough to deal with a wife and family, although she was just a friend at first. Like a lot of the high school students that rode.

When her home life became untenable, after she turned 18, she moved in and we got married. Her mother pretty much disowned her at first, but when she graduated later that year, it surprised us both that mom was there. I guess she finally figured out that my intentions were honorable... We were pretty much good until she had an operation and died in recovery. The head of a local school transportation dept. actually wanted to print our story in the district-wide, in-house newspaper. lol

During my early years of marriage, I attended a local community college and after 2 yrs, graduated with honors. Not bad for a night school student...lol At the time, I was working between 50-70 hours a week PLUS going to school. I was servicing the busses at night after school and if a driver didn't show up in the morning, I would substitute or sometimes do field trips on the weekends. I finally let my schoolbus certificate expire as it was getting to be to much. I became the head mechanic at the bus yard With 90 buses and 20 vans spread out over five widely spread cities. We were a charter bus company. haha, in one semester, I drove 12 trips to Disneyland alone!

enough about me... sorry, you mentioning being 30 reminded me of my age back then.

If you get stressed with the in's being there, stop in for a visit and rest your mind... or hide somewhere and watch a Ghibli.

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.03.2018, 09:42 AM.

06.03.2018, 09:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
My friend Bob (also a historical buff, one of our schools is named after his grandmother) are manning a historical society booth at the local festival this afternoon. Answering questions and passing out historical postcards.
Our history doesn't go back as far as most European/Asian countries, heck, this city I'm in was first known by its currrent name only in 1877. A mere youngster by European standards, lol. If is fun to relate historical happinings with things that went on in the area around here.

Our city was known by its name 8 years before Geronimo, the Apache Indian finally surrendered. And the OK Corral shootout with Wyatt Earp was 4 years prior to that! In fact, one of the Tombstone residents at the time moved here and opened a livery stable (later a hardware store and opera house in 1913, the year we became a City)... He was reputed to have helped carry the bodies of the OK Corral shootout.

Our city was divided into two different county's, more or less thru the middle of town. We had two county sheriff's and depending on which part of town you were in when arrested, you might have to travel 20+ miles to one county court or almost 100 miles to the other court. The only city I've heard of that had two school district's. The County School Boards had to meet and merge a lot of the functions in order to have a viable school system. That all ended in the late 1890's when a new County was formed...

06.03.2018, 10:06 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
Went to a semi-formal dinner put on by my 13 yr old granddaughter (with a little help by Mom lol) It was mainly for her, but the next younger one had also advanced and I had missed her little party last week, so I got to visit and play with all four of the grandkids there.... haha, of all things, they brought out a bingo game...

06.16.2018, 12:25 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Lowlight: Earthquake spoilt my plans for a rare Monday off. I hope the trains start up again soon.

06.17.2018, 09:43 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Lowlight: Earthquake spoilt my plans for a rare Monday off. I hope the trains start up again soon.

I think that Japan is one of the most earthquake prone countries in the world, beating out our famed California....

06.17.2018, 10:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, I think that is true. This is the biggest one that I've experienced.

06.17.2018, 10:46 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Do they use the same Richter scale over there that we use here in the states? I know that when we hear about a quake over there, the force is given in Richter measurements.

If so, what was the rating of this one?

06.17.2018, 11:25 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

LL:
As per American TV, the quake was a 6.1 with 3 dead and 40 wounded at this time; 3:15 PM Tokyo time....c

06.18.2018, 02:17 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

That's right. The magnitude is measured on the Richter scale, but there's another local scale as well. I don't know exactly what the Japanese scale measures, but I know it doesn't directly convert into Richter, so it isn't magnitude.

06.18.2018, 03:28 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  655  656  657  658  659  660  661  662  663  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks