QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  656  657  658  659  660  661  662  663  664  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay, a more significant lowlight: my dad is in hospital.

06.18.2018, 08:47 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren.....

Crap!!!... Here is hoping that it is nothing too serious and my best wishes to him and you and your family...

He may not know who we are, but tell him that we are all pulling for him....

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.18.2018, 09:09 AM.

06.18.2018, 09:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is serious, and increasingly so. He's being sent off to a psychiatric hospital imminently.

06.18.2018, 04:58 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am very sorry to hear that, arren, but I hope that his prognosis is good for a full or partial recovery...

06.18.2018, 05:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So sorry to hear that, arren. I hope his condition improves soon.

My Anime List

06.18.2018, 06:14 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Thank you for your kind words. I haven't heard anything new, and I suppose no news is good news, but I'm still worried.

06.19.2018, 08:52 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
As a county historian for my area, I've had two good things happen.

One is receiving some report cards from the years 1931 and 32 as well as a graduation program for 1932. I looked it up in my files and found her picture in a 1932 High School annual. I then posted these items on our areas fb page to share them.

The second good thing is that someone, who just happens to be related to me thru some of my grandchildren, showed me a handful of photos and postcards from a pioneer family here in town. I am setting a time to sit down with her and go through them with her. I don't recall if I've mentioned this one before, but there it is...

As someone who drops in now and then used to say,
"Yayness"... lol

06.19.2018, 11:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: I hate British trains. -__-

My Anime List

06.21.2018, 09:49 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Whoa!!!

That is pretty much the strongest emotion that I've ever heard you use, Kaz... What happened?

06.21.2018, 11:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Weirdlight:

I went to a short lecture on Sadakitchi Hartmann (1867 to 1944) this evening, (looks at the clock) well, last evening and it was a small affair with some chairs set up in our local Library, maybe 60 people and I enjoyed it. He was quite a character and wrote poetry in general as well as Haiku; Tanka (a form that I had never heard of) and other short poems.

Where the narrator (Bill, a friend of mine) was standing, the light was glaring off of the screen and he was having trouble reading a sample of Sadakitchi's Haiku. After a few false starts, He asked if anyone could read it and I, without thinking about it, did so. Later in his talk there was an example of a Tanka poem and another longer poem and Bill asked me if I would read those as well.

I asked for a moment to look at the poetry to try and pick up on the 'metre' or 'tempo', so to speak and did so. The last two lines of the last poem, I should have delivered a bit differently, leaving a slight pause before the last two words, "my love" before continuing on to the last line. But I suppose that I did well enough, seeing as I hadn't seen the verses before...

Weird evening, but a HL: as well, as I met some old friends that I haven't seen in years, including a past Mayor.

As for the talk, I did enjoy learning about this unusual man who was an acquaintance of many actors (both stage and screen), poets, artists and writers, dancers, all of which he did himself! He had friends such as Walt Whitman, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr, Anthony Quinn and many, many others who wrote back and forth to him and came out to the desert where we live to visit with him... I can recall only a few of many, many mentioned throughout the talk.

I will be reading some more of him in the future... I knew of him as an exccentric character who lived with his family in a shack that he built himself out on the Indian Reservation outside of town. Everyday, he's walk into town 2-1/2 miles to the post office to pick up his mail from all over the world.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++===

Sheesh LL:
The sun is coming up and I haven't even been to bed yet...

Goodnight, all...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.22.2018, 08:29 AM.

06.22.2018, 08:26 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
LL: I hate British trains. -__-

That's probably a reasonable feeling after returning from Japan.

06.22.2018, 09:37 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

never having experienced English trains, I can't relate to them, but Japanese trains, Always a good experience, except when being stuffed into one by the pushers, lol whatever they are called in Japanese... Only happened once while I was over there, in Tokyo, of all places.

Hoping that is all it is, Kaz...

06.22.2018, 10:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Just had a bit of an arduous journey home which was compounded by late trains. -.- And indeed, speaking generally our trains are disgraceful in comparison to Japan's, on top of being the most expensive in Europe.

HL: barbecue. :3

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 06.22.2018, 03:59 PM.

06.22.2018, 03:58 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

But BBQ makes it better, right??? lol

edit:

oh, I'm a bad person, Kaz...

I was thinking B-B-Q crumpets and ladyfingers with spiced tea!!!

Bad Husky....

edit2:

and boiled beef!!!

Gonna sit here and 'nosh on my Chili Verde and Bean and Cheese Burrito... Nom nom nom

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.22.2018, 05:51 PM.

06.22.2018, 05:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, I'm alive and I'm moving to Hokkaido soon! I should probably be able to see NC during our orientation.

I just bought a functioning laptop (rip bank account) after endless problems with my last one.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 06.29.2018, 10:56 AM.

06.29.2018, 10:47 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Wow, it's been a while! Good to hear from you FFF. Where in Hokkaido will you go? I went to Sapporo for a few days once and it was nice, but I imagine JETs are more likely to be sent somewhere more out of the way.

06.29.2018, 11:05 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Wow, it's been a while! Good to hear from you FFF. Where in Hokkaido will you go? I went to Sapporo for a few days once and it was nice, but I imagine JETs are more likely to be sent somewhere more out of the way.

There's a decent number in Sapporo but I'll be living in a small city about two-three hours away from Sapporo. JET has been expanding a lot in the past couple years so there are more in Tokyo, Osaka, etc. now than previously. Besides NC, two of my friends also got Tokyo.

I got exactly what I asked for, maybe because this was my third time trying. lol I've had a lot of people push for me to get into the programme and I've been pretty emotional since I got accepted.

06.29.2018, 11:11 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

YAY, FFF so happy for you....

So now I hate you and NC, along with arren and Kaz for being able to be in Japan... and I'm NOTTT!!!

Just funning with you all...

hahaha, I am really happy for you. With a new (better> laptop, we might be able to hear from you more...
hahaha. believe me, I understand how hard it must have been to finally achieve your goal. Reminds me of the "Love Hina" manga I have where the poor guy has such trouble getting into Tokyo U... I hope that you didn't have the trouble with boys kike he had with the girls... Only guy in a girls dorm and all the misadventures that ensued, poor guy...

My love to you, FFF... take care and enjoy...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.29.2018, 01:58 PM.

06.29.2018, 01:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Lowlight: Had the JLPT today. The reading section wasn't as bad as it has been in the past, but I struggled a bit with the other parts. I suppose we'll see.

Highlight: At least it's over now! And whatever the result, I think I won't take it again unless absolutely necessary.

07.01.2018, 08:18 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

@arren
Hoping for a positive outcome... Good luck

07.01.2018, 12:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  656  657  658  659  660  661  662  663  664  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks