QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  658  659  660  661  662  663  664  665  666  ...    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks guys, things are almost too good right now. Just wait for this to be followed a series of unfortunate events. >.>

@ arren - I found it on a site called Upwork, it's for freelancers and those looking to hire them. Pretty good, though they charge a 20% service fee. x_x

@ Saviour - Restaurant menus. They get sent to me in spreadsheets and I translate them.

HL: bought our first fish for the big new tank today. Got red rainbow fish, bumblebee catfish, and a gorgeous pair of fairy cichlids. Been admiring those for ever so long. They're all happily settled in now.

Also, big envelope from university arrived in the post, expected it to be my degree certificate but it was a certificate for a distinction in spoken Japanese. o.o Out of the blue but a nice surprise.

My Anime List

07.19.2018, 12:11 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaz, I'm sure you know your fish, but how big is the Bumblebee compared to the others and are they all in the same tank? Also, do you know if it/they are Asian or South American? From reading, I understand that that the Asian is more aggressive.

In my 26-gal tank, way back when, I had a small 2" Red Oscar and found out the hard way that I needed a cover for the tank. Luckily I got home shortly after my rascal had jumped out onto the carpet. It was about 3" at that time. I formed one out of stiff, 3/8" wire mesh and weighted it down. I fed it brine shrimp at first and when it got larger, feeder goldfish after all my smaller fish in that tank disappeared (I probably overfed it actually). To keep the algae down I had a Plecostemus about 5-6" long, but when the Oscar got up to about 5-6" long, it apparently killed the Pleco... sigh I had a smaller 10-gal tank with a variety of Guppies, Barbs, Tetras, Black Mollies, 5 or 6 small algae eaters. etc. I didn't know much about tank mates at the time and so I had a lot of die-offs which baffled me.

07.20.2018, 01:47 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh, the fee thing does sound annoying, but I imagine that could also mean a better chance of decent jobs. I'll give it a look. Thanks for the tip!

07.20.2018, 04:25 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No problem. ^^ I still think it's a good site, there's a steady stream of varied jobs that come through so I expect you'd find something to suit you before long.

@ Husky - We've got the South American, it's only gets to about 5.5 inches at the most and is peaceful. ^^ The rainbows and cichlids eventually will grow to a similar, probably slightly bigger size. They're all roughly about the same length just now, come to think of it.

I remember my dad telling me he used to keep oscars, they sound like a handful. I see the really big adults in the shops sometimes. The other small tank we have just now sounds similar to your old one, we've got barbs and danios in there, guppies, loaches, and a small gourami. A pleco would be good for the algae but in all our years we've never bought one, they're just... not attractive fish. The only exception I'd make would be for a good zebra pleco, but given that they're about £150 each, that ain't happening.

My Anime List

07.20.2018, 06:06 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, I paid a kid a whole dollar for my 5" or so Pleco... lol He was moving and couldn't transport across country or something like that. Nobody else wanted it so I got it.

07.20.2018, 08:28 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

LLLL:
There is an uncontrolled forest fire that is burning near me. I'm not in any danger myself, but I feel for the over 3,000 people that have so far been evacuated. An evacuation center has been set up in a local High School. Many of these evacuees are elderly. It started yesterday at about 12 noon and has now, about 24 hours later, burned over 4,700 acres and so far burned down 5 homes with more in danger.

The worst part about this is that it was started by an arsonist who, THANKFULLY, was caught about 1/2 hour after he started the fire. He is also suspected of starting a number of other fires yesterday as well.

My feelings also go to the firefighters that are battling this out-of-control fire. Temperatures are supposed to be over 100F again today and these people are wearing and carrying their equipment and working within feet of the face of the fire.

And just this minute, I've heard on the news that another, separate, fire has started nearby to the first fire.

07.26.2018, 03:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: our ducklings look like they're recovering at last. They accidentally got poisoned by eating tomato leaves in our greenhouse, silly things, could hardly walk for a few days after that. Seem pretty much fine now.

Things are going well with my translation work too. Client wants to speak to me this evening about my doing some extra work checking translations... It's definitely nice that he's found me competent enough to do that. ^^

My Anime List

08.04.2018, 11:10 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Good for you... Go Get'm...lol

----------------------------------

Hey, just noticed, Saddles is now showing 10,000...

hahaha, doesn't feel so lonely up here, lol

way to go, Saddles...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.04.2018, 12:25 PM.

08.04.2018, 12:21 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HH/L:
I was up on the Palm Springs Tram, just sitting and reading at the upper level of the Tram where at about 9,000 ft, it was cooler than down in the city where we all live, as my two friends hiked to the top of the mountain.

While sitting and reading at one end of the outdoor table, People will come by and ask if they could sit at the other end and I readily agree. That is part of my fun of going up there, chatting with people One group was a family from Belgium. The parents spoke English quite well and as we were talking one of their children noticed my Totoro tattoo and became mildly excited about it and it turns out that this family were avid admirers of all of the Ghibli's that they have seen, which was quite a few... We talked some more and I gave them the name of the Tavern and explained about us.

The next group were two couples and, again while talking, one of the young women noticed good ol' Totoro, lol. And so we talked about Ghibli for awhile and I told them about the Tavern.

Next was a Mexican-American family who sat and ate lunch while talking with me. When that half of the family finished, another half filled in their seats and the conversation continues. Next was an Albanian-American woman who was tired and sat while the rest of her family came and went. I spoke with her and her older children and later her husband.

After they left, a man and his wife sat and he was a ranking employee at the US Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. where I have been trying for years to get hold of someone there. I have seen skimpy photos of a 20-30' scale model on my old ship that is said to be there and I asked him about it. I gave him some info about it and one of my cards and he said that he would look into it. Talk about quick results. When I finally got home about midnight and checked my mail, there was an official looking letter from this man outlining some info that he will send me when he gets back home in a week or two. I was flabbergasted! This is the best news that I've had on my search in years. lol
Later, an older woman sat and she was wearing a Hijab and I asked if she was Muslim and she was. To be polite, I didn't say much more, but after awhile her son came and sat while his wife and their kids were walking around, looking at the sights. We had an interesting conversation for about 20-30 minutes and as they were leaving, I stood up and shook hands with him and said my name and he gave his, 'Yahya', which is from the Quran and also the name of one of my grandsons...
He and his wife and mother had a chuckle about that.

I spoke with 3 or four other people as the evening wore on and it even turned out that I asked one of the employees about a relative tht I had heard worked at the Tram and gave her name... Haha, it turned out that she worked for this man, lol and so WE had a bit of a chat while the Tram car was descending and after...

All in all, I had a wonderful day, reading some of the history of the very mountain range that I was on top of and then, all the wonderful people and conversations that I enjoyed. On the way home, we (my friends and I) stopped at a restaurant and had dinner about 11pm and I drove them home and then drove myself home and went online. It is now 4AM and I am going to bed...

A great day. sorry for being so wordy, lol, but you know that I am by now don't you... Good night/morning as the case may be...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.06.2018, 07:08 AM.

08.06.2018, 07:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: bought a beautiful moonstone pendant today. I think it's going to become my favourite stone.

My Anime List

08.15.2018, 10:56 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yesterday's highlight: I went to Summer Sonic music festival! I've been pretty exhausted since.

08.19.2018, 08:17 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think you guys know that there is a movement in the Great Britain to redo the whole Brexit Vote or Something like that again. I personally think that it is a great idea. The vote was way to close to take some decision which will affect young people in the decades to come. In my understanding most of people who voted for Brexit are out or on the way of getting out of taking active part in economy. Initially i felt very bad due to massive potential job loss for young people. I feel a bit better now. Dont really know if this will really happen. If it happens i think there is no way now that Pro Brexit thing will happen

-------------------------

On other not i just watched Coco 2017 Pixar movie. Watch it if you have not really heartwarming. It has some magic.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.19.2018, 02:40 PM.

08.19.2018, 02:31 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, I hope this campaign to have a final vote on the details is successful, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. In any case, the whole situation is such a mess that I think it's going to be very slow at least.

08.19.2018, 09:01 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Lowlight: another big typhoon.

Highlight: I get the day off work, and this time it was confirmed yesterday, so I didn't have to go in and potentially get stuck.

09.04.2018, 12:08 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

At least now there are two of you Tavern-ites over there to suffer together...lol I don't know who is where but wth, Japan ain't THAT big...lol

Be safe, everyone...

09.04.2018, 01:23 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

WE'RE BACK!!! Thank you to those involved... UO?

09.04.2018, 10:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Highlight: I'm all but confirmed for a translation course, mostly for films and similar stuff. It starts in a few weeks!

09.18.2018, 07:14 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ooh, sounds good arren! I'm just about 3 weeks from starting my translation master's myself.

My Anime List

09.18.2018, 07:51 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HEY! Maybe you'll be the new Ghibli Translators!!! lol

Just funning with ya both... I'm happy for both of you...

09.18.2018, 11:06 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Highlight: I had a credit card application accepted! It wasn't my first attempt, so I'm glad it worked this time. I'm struggling a bit with money right now and this should help smooth things out while I wait on bigger paychecks.

09.21.2018, 05:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  658  659  660  661  662  663  664  665  666  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks