QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I suspect a big part of it is not feeling well enough informed. I remember when I first voted, it still seemed bizarre to me that I was actually able to vote. I think the prospect of having a say in such big decisions (especially when you get taught nothing about politics up to that time) it daunting for a lot of young people.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Might be why it was so mobilized here, a lot of young folks are very into politics but not exactly sure on decision making like that. During elections here, there was a lot of information out and everyone made it a huge deal. Not sure about the UK though. I didn't really know about this until last week which is surprising.

06.27.2016, 01:08 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aside from them feeling uninformed, I get the impression that a lot just hold the attitude that politics is a) boring and b) not relevant to them. There's a lot of indifference towards it, it seems.

My Anime List

06.27.2016, 02:30 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in my country the political situation is not well enough to vote safely. There is violence and showdown of physical power in every election. There is false vote and so many other depressing things. But in the western world these sort of things are not present at the moment. So there is somesort of things i dont understand. Why feeling less informed? why there is less hope to change things? specially as young people are so self independent (they start living by their own near after 18 ). So where is the psychological dillema? and if people are responsible enough to be independent why they have to look for the fun stuff only? and another thing do the political parties in the western world have student branches in universities and colleges? in my opinion there is somesort of communication gap between the youth and the politicians.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 06.28.2016, 06:35 AM.

06.28.2016, 06:05 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There is definitely that, Saviour. That communication gap. People don't feel connected to the political world or to politicians. Politicians aren't liked; they're nearly all seen as liars who neither understand or care about the problems of ordinary people. So because people, especially young people it seems, don't feel connected to the political world, they feel it doesn't have anything to do with them, and that's why they don't care about it. I don't know what the solution is. We could do with abolishing the House of Lords for a start. It's completely undemocratic and a waste of money. I don't know why it still exists. It's definitely not the only problem, though, of course. I mean, if politicians could just stop lying that'd be a good start.

My Anime List

06.28.2016, 10:48 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It isn't just young adults Kaz, us older people feel exactly the same way. I haven't bothered to vote in the last few general elections because I lived in a rock-solid Tory constituency that had voted a Conservative MP in since about 1650 and my Labour vote was wasted.

I also think all politicians are crooks and liars - just look at how the Leave people are now squirming and wriggling about what they promised to deliver us if they won and what they claimed was true such as the 350m per week we send to Brussels. Its plain embarrassing.

I agree the house of Lords needs to be binned. Total waste of money, totally out of step with modern society.

Proportional representation needs to be introduced so that every single voter feels their opinion counts - the falling attendance rates of voters at general elections in recent years indicates something is wrong. In the EU referendum I voted because I knew my vote counted. The evidence is there to suggest that many others did too. We'd get much more interest and activity in politics if that was the case in general elections.

Big corporate money should be excluded from party campaigns and from politics generally. I think political parties should have a membership fee and campaigns should be funded from that. The conflict of interests and obvious potential for corruption is ridiculous.

We should choose our political leaders from a different breed of people, though quite how we'd go about that is hard to say. Its like we should have socially minded volunteers in power like lollipop ladies, school teachers, nurses, carers and scientists.

Quite frankly anyone who WANTS to be in political power should be instantly bared from it because 99 times out of 100 such power leads to corruption.

Our once wonderful health service is a shambles with too many overpaid managers and IT technicians, our perfectly serviceable nationalised rail system was destroyed by privatisation and greed. Our schools are collapsing under the strain with too few teachers paid too little... the list goes on.

Maybe our society should be controlled by a giant computer that accepts votes and requested policy changes from all citizens, creates referenda for voting on said changes, crunches the numbers and spits out our new laws.

/sarcasm

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.28.2016, 11:24 AM.

06.28.2016, 11:23 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

is there no path or procedure to pressure your govt for specific tasks in UK?

can you not tell them hey this is a problem in my area tell me exactly how are you going to fix it? and create pressure to fix it from your peers, your neighbors.

why there is not still a framework for transparent governance that people can understand and participate. I mean if you carefully think about it, in china and in previous ussr it was something like that but the leaders were not elected so in many cases it caused trouble. but similar system where there is a active party, say labour or conservative, then in such place people can understand how their wants are reflected in the policies. To me if the govt is too detached from the party then the only way for accountability vanishes cause people can never reach govt. they can only reach them through the parties.

having said those i can see that you have given some good way to operate a party. i absolutely like the ideas. but people dont. in my country i have talked about 50-60 low income people they dont care. the educated unmarried people care only about career and their marriage prospects( that is gf, bf, date bla bla) and the married people care about their family security.

it seems to me everybody thinks its not their problem, so the problem never gets fixed.

and i also sense that people vote who they think is above them . they like charisma, which is a fetal flaw in people, today only policies and goodwill can solve problem, charisma can unite people ofcourse but history has shown that 90%(in my opinion) charismatic leaders are not good for people. in my opinion above everything it is the people who are too reluctant to take a part in the system. i think if people were more involved in these political affairs then it was possible to do greater good.(now that i think about it this para aligns with saddle said that we can be controlled by AI, but that again it takes us to the dilemma that has been shown in psycho-pass and in some cases ghost in the shell)

please reply if you see any flaw in my analogy

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 06.28.2016, 01:52 PM.

06.28.2016, 01:33 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

an interesting read

http://www.sciencealert.com/why-do-you-m...l-you-otherwise

07.01.2016, 05:23 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Interesting article. In the USA Trump is scarily growing in power because of the world situation since 9/11. Many US citizens it seems are highly xenophobic and distrust or outright hate Islam. Trump is building on the fear of these people to gain power.

Its obvious that many people do not trust CEOs and governments because so many of these have been the source of so much corruption, lying and obscenely high pay deals in recent years.

Scientists are respected I think, on the whole but the global warming data is fed to citizens via governments and too many otherwise reasonable people suspect governments of conspiracies for the reasons given above.

As far as Brexit goes the problem was the Tory Campaign of Fear that made so many outrageous claims and also made it plain that if you voted to leave you must be an idiot. Its clear in debating situations that calling someone an idiot for not agreeing with you is not going to draw them closer to you.

I am proud I voted to leave as I think it is the best long term option for Britain and for the EU which now faces a long-overdue need to reorganise itself to prevent other countries exiting.

I know I made the correct decision. I am not stupid.

Britain has the strongest economy in the western world, the European nations both want and NEED to trade with us, I feel we are soon to be in a position to both make our borders more secure and to strike good trade deals, if not with the single market EU then with each member state.

I'm really buoyed up about the future and the potential it holds.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.01.2016, 02:15 PM.

07.01.2016, 02:09 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

chilcot report

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36732103

yup dirty and bloody politics, at its best

however i am quite happy(and surprised that such crucial a report can be uncovered, UK is showing its uniqueness in many ways)

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.07.2016, 01:54 PM.

07.07.2016, 01:52 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hm, Bush's administration gets hammered, Rumsfeld in particular. But then we knew they were war-mongering hawks all along. Shameful.

Blair was just Bush's lapdog.

These are the kinds of actions that make much of the world loath the USA and I think most decent Americans don't know what their government is really doing. Its hardly a democracy any more, its almost a dictatorship and Americans still call their country the Land of the Free. Makes me angry and sad.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.07.2016, 02:36 PM.

07.07.2016, 02:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

based on current development is black vs white civil war possible in america?

the world is becoming chaotic

07.08.2016, 05:09 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It's just sunk in in the last couple of days that I'm leaving for Japan in just over a month, and that's terrifying. I've never even been on a plane before. Aaaah. D:

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.15.2016, 07:20 AM.

07.15.2016, 07:19 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
It's just sunk in in the last couple of days that I'm leaving for Japan in just over a month, and that's terrifying. I've never even been on a plane before. Aaaah. D:

WOOOOOO. It's gonna be great. How many hours is it for you to fly there? Here, we have a two hour flight to Toronto and then transfer there, and it's around 12 to 14 hours flying from Toronto to Japan straight. I haven't done it yet, I'm just used to tracking friends' flights.

But it's gonna be so fun, I'm so excited to hear your stories. You're going to Nagasaki, was it? I want to go visit before moving there in the next year so maybe we should meet when I go. ^^

Flying's going to be fine! I'm still a newbie to flying but I really like it, especially watching the clouds.

07.15.2016, 09:29 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami

its very easy actually. You might feel a little pressure on your ears. The best thing you can do is chew chewing gum. It stays only for 10 seconds maybe(if my friend did not tell me about it, i think i would not have even noticed it)

http://www.healthcommunities.com/ear-inf...arotrauma.shtml

07.15.2016, 09:35 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You've never flown? Wow, what a way to start. I expect you'll feel a bit nervous, but don't worry too much. Chances are the worst of it will be that you get bored and struggle to fall asleep.

How do you feel about actually going to Japan? I remember when my year abroad was approaching, I got really scared about it and started studying obsessively. Of course, it was fine in the end.

07.15.2016, 09:30 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaz:
One thing to be aware of is that when landing, you will hear sudden roaring sort of noise, very LOUD!!! It is nothing to worry about, merely the reverse thrusters kicking in and slowing the airplane down...

07.16.2016, 12:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

...and take-off is so awesome, like being in a really fast accelerating car.

07.16.2016, 12:39 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

and it's all crammed with people just like in "the wind rises", except you don't get to stick your head outside or walk the wing

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

07.16.2016, 12:53 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I really, really like a boy and I've been going through so many different emotions since I realized this. I think my friends think I'm crazy. Agh, I need someone to talk to. I can barely breathe.

07.17.2016, 08:24 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

why not talk to the boy you like?

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

07.17.2016, 04:24 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  «    ...  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks