QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Call me newb, Nab, noob, or something
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Call me newb, Nab, noob, or something » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 10.24.10
  Call me newb, Nab, noob, or somethingPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Animenewbie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello everyone! So I've been lurking your threads for a while now, and decided to register, so I might as well make a topic so you guys can read more about me (:

I live up here in the cold Scandinavia dreaming of a warm winter *sigh*. I'm a 17 year old boy and I failed my math exam today.

I recently became intrested of anime (mainly Ghibli ^_^) even though I've seen some animes in the past year. Last week i got an anime rampage and watched quite a lot of schtuff. As what comes for manga or any anime series i have not yet much interest in. Only ever read 'dragon ball' a good five years back (must admit though that they are the best "comic" style thing I've read ever)

And the amount of books I've read has skyrocketjumped in the past month, the reason will remain a mystery..for now! (not completely sure of it myself). It really doesn't matter much what I read, because everything is good in my eyes (: Now when i think about it I've probably only read less than 20 books willingly in the past 15 years. Shame on me!

I also like drawing stuff even though I'm terrible at it (picking up all art classes in my school because It's so fun). might upload some of my works when the time is right. Also i will get a tablet soon so I can start drawing with photoshop (:

And please note that English is my third language so It's not superb! I wish I would have picked up anime year ago. I definitely would have assigned for some Japanese courses last year, but i guess It's too late now ):

I'll get myself some sort of signature and a better avatar soon. And hmm, not much else to say..but I'll definitely stay around for a good while! Feel free to ask any questions about me, my country or anything else! (:

EDIT: edited a load of Typo's, my English teacher says I'm really good at them

Post last edited by Animenewbie on 10.25.2010, 05:26 PM.

10.25.2010, 05:22 PM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello Animenewb!
Welcome! Hope you enjoy discovering all the ghibli films!
Awesomeness! But remember, education first! Then after you're done with that, you can watch

10.25.2010, 05:27 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
Animenewbie
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Animenewbie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Might as well specify the anime and Ghibli I've watched so far. Heres a list:

Princess Mononoke
Nausicaa Valley of the Wind
Porco rosso
Laputa: castle in the sky
Howl's moving castle
Kiki's Delivery service
Spirited away
Tales from earthsea
Whisper of Heart
My Neighbor Totoro

The girl who leapt trough time
Summer war (not finished yet)

And that's all I think!

EDIT: I dont know if you guys have noticed but in my opinion most trailers in youtube doesn't really make justice to the movies. I've had serious doubts of many films based on their trailers but then after watching, I've been stunned my the awe of the film! And so far not a single anime have let me down! A bit unsatisfied sure but thats unavoidable with me wanting all the perfect endings ^_^

Post last edited by Animenewbie on 10.25.2010, 05:40 PM.

10.25.2010, 05:33 PM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome! From what I see, your English is very good, really, so don't worry about that. ^.^ Glad you enjoy the Ghibli films so much~ Hope you'll be here to stay.

My Anime List

10.25.2010, 07:44 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
laazd,
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.27.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by laazd, Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hello & welcome , animenewbie !
i'm pretty new as well and i'm loving this place.
you're english is awesome i would have thought it was
your first language. what other languages do you speak?

10.25.2010, 08:47 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

again, as in another thread, Welcome, Animenewbie... for a third language your English is very good, very understandable... Likely, since it is where you are , I would assume your native language is Finnish and possibly Russian to some extant???

Just guessing

10.26.2010, 12:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Animenewbie
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Animenewbie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

husky & laazd:

Yes, my native language is Finnish, but my second language is not Russian (not a bad guess) but Swedish, since it's one of the two official languages in Finland. My Swedish would be weaker than my English if I wouldn't have gone to a Swedish school for 9 years. I studied Spanish too for 2 years but it was too tough to study 4 languages at the same time so I gave that up.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

10.26.2010, 08:29 AM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aha, I thought it might be Swedish, as I understand there is a large population of Swedes in Finland.

10.26.2010, 01:11 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Aha, I thought it might be Swedish, as I understand there is a large population of Swedes in Finland.

This may seem random and slightly off-topic but have you been reading Humon's comics? On DA? >.>

My Anime List

10.26.2010, 06:50 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I knew that Russia was next to Finland so that was why I made that guess... Interesting to know about the Swedish, tho

That is the fun thing about the Tavern. We have people from all over the world as members.

10.26.2010, 11:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
quote:
Originally posted by arren18

This may seem random and slightly off-topic but have you been reading Humon's comics? On DA? >.>

Haha, I have actually.

10.27.2010, 05:44 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Humon?

Welcome to the taern, belated as it is. And don't worry about your english. Believe it or not, the people most fluent in English are not the native speakers themselves

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.27.2010, 09:29 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Animenewbie
Calcifer

Humon is a vertical comic which is starred by countries as "persons" (mainly Scandinavia, but U.S.A and some northern European countries as well) with one male and one female from all countries. The jokes are often about some stereotypes or historical events.

Haven't watched many of them myself though

And yeah there's roughly 340.000 (out of 5,3 million) Finns who speak Swedish as their native language (not Swedes though).

Post last edited by Animenewbie on 10.27.2010, 12:54 PM.

10.27.2010, 12:53 PM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

watchoo meanin, Roar, I talk english real gooder...

(snicker)

10.27.2010, 10:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome!

I dunno about fluency but non-native English speakers have really good grammar. As in they know rules that we should know but disregard in favour of intuition.

10.28.2010, 09:44 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

(see above^^)

yes, i think simply because non-antive English speakers have to learn it all from scratch, usually at an older age then we native speakers do. I think we therefore forget a good deal of the proper usuage of the language.

Like me with my Spanish. I am definitely not speaking grammatical Spanish when I use it now although I did when I first learned it. Now, because i don't use it very much, other than a few words now and then, I totally butcher the language, but I can usually get my point or meaning across... I may interchange the feminine/masculine articles, etc so I just laugh and say, "Mi gringo lengua" which usually gets a chuckle...

(my gringo tongue)

10.28.2010, 10:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lol, okay. The thing is if you speak in formal English or Spanish, or whatever...you're pegged as an outsider. xD So it's questionable how useful an understanding of the intricacies of a language really is in everyday conversations.

10.28.2010, 10:35 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Lol, okay. The thing is if you speak in formal English or Spanish, or whatever...you're pegged as an outsider. xD So it's questionable how useful an understanding of the intricacies of a language really is in everyday conversations.

10.28.2010, 10:36 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, welcome to the Tavern!

And your English is very, very, very good. I am extremely impressed. Extremely impressed. XD

10.29.2010, 01:23 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Tervetuloa AnimeNB!
I hope you enjoy the forum, I was always interested in Finland somehow (see my nickname here), I like the music of the bands out there and your beautiful nature, but the coldness must be bad sometimes I guess..
although were I live it can be cold as well, in the darkest winter period.

I wish you all the luck with discovering your interests more and keep drawing and making beautiful signatures like that! I think it is truly amazing.
Personally I haven't watched much other animé besides Ghibli as well, since they're hard to get here and I recently got my own laptop so I can watch some, but I don't know..Ghibli touches me more I guess..and perhaps you as well.

Have a nice time and see you around!

-Kemi

10.29.2010, 09:11 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks