QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - U.K
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » U.K » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  U.KPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah so a few of you might of remembered my earlier thread, regarding working or holidaying in japan.
i have decided to to hit tokyo for my twenty first in september for a two week holiday, and i have also decided to get a working visa for the u.k.
My sister is talking to a collegue whose son manages a resort over there. There may be something there ..but i don't want to pin my hopes on it. so i was just hoping to know if there are many jobs available in uk, and not just pouring beers. the internet is mainly pushing jobs for ;Tradies, nannies and bar work

i just want some good casual work so i can work on my animated short and travel around

there are heaps of U.K users here so i thought i'd just ask

also there is a myth going round that english chicks go ballistic for an aussie bloke!! is this true?!

01.18.2011, 02:52 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In my experience, getting a job here is not easy. But then, everyone else seems to find it easier than I do, so you might be in luck.

As for your myth, I couldn't say. Probably depends on the bloke.

01.18.2011, 05:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Erm, I don't know about Scotland/Wales/Ireland but here in England the job market is so, so bad at the moment. I have a part time job but the majority of my friends don't, and I think just jobs in general are tough to get at the moment. Espescially casual stuff, bar work really is your best bet I'd say, retail is largely a case of applying with the right timing and even then it's tricky. My mum works as a recruitment manager so I like to think I have a fairly firm grasp on it but I'm quite young so I don't know - what kind of 'casual' work where you aiming for?

And aha, we certainly like Aussie accents, but beyond that it does depend on the guy I'd say.

01.18.2011, 02:15 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

woah doesn't sound hopeful :S
like i said i'm going to email this manager of a resort for some work but i think the chances of me getting work there are pretty dam slim.
yeah there are programs online where you can try get bar work. My family have had a couple of hotel/motels so i know its crap work but works, work.
well i really don't know what work i was hoping for...
it definately will be harder then i first thought :S
so if bar work really is the best hope ? i should look into that more i guess.

01.18.2011, 05:09 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

whichever path you choose, good luck and, above all, have fun...

01.19.2011, 08:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks