QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Only Yesterday dub
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Only Yesterday dub » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.16.06
  Only Yesterday dubPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by paperbullet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Questions:

1. Who should be the voices?
2. Should the ending song be translated?
3. How is the whole "Popped-Up Gourd Island" thing gonna work out?
4. Should it be done at all?
5. Do you think Disney will ever come around and do it?

In answer to my own questions...

1. Beats me. Toshio should have a light country accent, but not so much it distracts the viewer. Older Taeko's voice should be thoughtful and sound a lot like her Japanese voice. Younger Taeko should sound energetic. Taeko's father should sound stern and a little commanding.
2. Yes, but it should have the same music, just different words. I think Sasha Lazard (woman who sung ending song for Mononoke dub) should do it, maybe. I'd have to hear more of her music.
3. I think there should be just one line of narration, like "I was a big fan of the TV show 'Hykori Hyoutan Jima'" or something like that.
4. YES. If it doesn't start soon, I'M going to start making one.
5. Yeah, eventually. I say 2008, the same time they're gonna release Tales from Earthsea and the live-action Kiki thing. It'll be overshadowed by the two other movies, so the critics will be less inclined to harass them about the period thing and the child abuse thing.

04.22.2007, 03:41 PM paperbullet is offline   Profile for paperbullet Add paperbullet to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As far as I'm aware, there already is a dub of Only Yesterday, as it was released on DVD in the UK last year.

04.23.2007, 06:56 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
paperbullet
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by paperbullet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, that was just a subbed DVD. There still is no English dub.

05.10.2007, 06:26 PM paperbullet is offline   Profile for paperbullet Add paperbullet to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's so lame! When the hell are they going to release the region 1 dvd!

05.10.2007, 08:17 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can see why people would want to have Only Yesterday dubbed but I'm happy with the way it is. Yes I love to have the option of watching it in Japanese or English. However, Only Yesterday isnt an action film. It's a subtle film that doesn't need Westernising in any way.

Some films don't need tampering with.

06.04.2007, 11:10 PM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yh but if there isnt a dub then u dnt have time to apprecate the art so i think they should do a dub!

there a live action kiki???!!!!!!

06.05.2007, 09:37 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I feel that since Only Yesterday takes place entirely in Japan that it doesnt really need a dub in any way whatsoevor. I think that english speaking actors would have a greater potential of taking something precious away from this beautiful piece than with movies like Whisper Of The Heart.

That isnt to say that I wouldnt snatch it up immediatly if a dub was released though. ^_^() Indeed I think they should make one just to give people the choice of there preferance.

I do entirely agree with you in that subtitles alone already distracts greatly from the gorgeous artwork as is. Some shows you can mostly endure the distraction but some films its just unaccetable... like for instance Ghost In The Shell: Innocence. The story is so techy with so many details going on with every scene that its truly a major distraction to not be able to give the art work its proper attention. They say they didnt dub it to maintain the arts original integrity but it just comes off feeling like they didnt want to shell out the time and money for a proper dub, and I am thus forced to become a better speed reader to pay attention to the art. ;o

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

07.09.2007, 06:57 AM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I've got to the stage now where I can read the subtitles without seeing them and they just don't register any more. I've watched strange foreign movies all my life (French, Italian, German, Russian) and have just grown used to it.

I think this is a skill anyone can acquire if you put your mind to it and take the time.

I'd rather hear the beautiful Japanese language than English being spoken anyway. In ugly American accents.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.09.2007, 08:48 AM.

07.09.2007, 08:48 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm going to chime in on the side against dubbing into English. This film is extreeeemely Japanese and dubbing would spoil the cultural mood.

07.09.2007, 01:27 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks