QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Earthsea
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Earthsea » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
diablobob
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.31.07
  EarthseaPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by diablobob Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Does anyone know when Earthsea will be coming to the
USA. I fell in love with Ghibli so much I tried to learn japanese so I wouldnt have to wait. Unfortuneately it was to difficult.

05.31.2007, 08:52 PM diablobob is offline   Profile for diablobob Add diablobob to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hey man welcome to the fourms, i personally dont know, but im sure someone will come along, i think its 2009 but that was a while back.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.31.2007, 08:58 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

'09, around there. We're all waiting for the TV series of Earthsea's license to expire.

Even then, it'd be a straight-to-video release.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.01.2007, 12:21 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's apparently being released in the UK this summer. If you have an R2 DVD player or a region-free player you could consider an import.

There might not be a dub though, just a sub.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.01.2007, 04:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
diablobob
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by diablobob Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually prefer movies with original voices. Subbtitles are no problem. Try watching the movie Hero in Mandarin it makes the experience more realistic. almost like going back in time and watching the events unfold.

06.01.2007, 05:30 PM diablobob is offline   Profile for diablobob Add diablobob to your buddy list
diablobob
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by diablobob Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As a side note does anyone have any extra copies of japanese cds they can send me. I fell in love with Tsuji Ayano when I heard her song (Kaze Ni Naru). It has opened up a new appreciation for asian culture. I have also recently heard a song by Rimi Natsukawa, (Nada Sousou) that was almost as beautiful. Unfortuneatly in Wisconsin it is very hard to find cds by these artists. also does anyone know others artist with such amazing talents.

Post last edited by diablobob on 06.01.2007, 05:44 PM.

06.01.2007, 05:41 PM diablobob is offline   Profile for diablobob Add diablobob to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Uh, I don't know of anyone who actually buys extra CDs, seeing how expensive they are.

Though I can't deny your taste. Natsukawa Rimi is only the 3rd singer I actually admire, besides Tsuji Ayano and Sakamoto Maaya.

You can try HMV, dunno if the UK sells J-Pop CDs. Natsukawa just released a new album, btw. That, or the only other option is to go shop online.

For those lost, Natsukawa Rimi is a folk singer, the kind you hear from old rural Japan. Currently most recognized for inspiring the japanese movie Nada Sou Sou (neverending tears) by her song of the same name.

Sakamoto Maaya is a famous voice actress with several albums under her name. You'd probably know her in Gundam Seed Destiny's Lunamaria Mawke, or Aerith in FF:Advent Children. Sings J-Pop, and to me, is the voice of an angel.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.02.2007, 12:54 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
diablobob
Susuwatari

Hey you never know it was worth a try. i checked out Maaya on youtube she is pretty good but i think Rimi and Tsuji are better. Are there other singers you can recommend. Also what movies are close to the quality of the ones made by Studio Ghibli. As long as they are available subtitled in english i will try to find them. Also as a side note are there any libraries overseas that would be willing to loan materials to my local library so I could view them. I appreciate your help. Being new to Asian music and movies it is hard to find high quality stuff. I don't really care for most of the stuff that is popular here in America instead i would rather find movies that tell a story rather than bomb blasts and high speed car chases. I first learned of Tsuji from the Cat Returns movie And after I heard her I was hooked.

06.04.2007, 08:14 PM diablobob is offline   Profile for diablobob Add diablobob to your buddy list
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello all this is my first post here.

Im not sure if this is commonly known or not, but the Japanese R2 DVD release of Gedo Senki already has a very high quality English language dub.

Those of you with multiregion DVD players or living in the UK could be enjoying it right now. ^_^

As for musicians I've long adored Ai Maeda's "The Beutiful World" the end theme to the "Kino No Tabi" series or "Kino's Journey" in the states.

I also Love Tsukiko Amano's singles from "Fatal Frame 2" and 3, "Chou" and "Koe".

Animation I can recomend either in spirit or quality to Ghibli films are...

Spirit Of Wonder,
Millennium Actress,
Steam Boy,
Spring And Chaos,
Kino's Journey,
Haibane Renmei,
Night Of The Galactic Railroad,
Memories,
Neia_7,
Last Exile,
Paprika,

These are among my absolute top favorites!

Basically just about anything from Yoshitoshi Abe, Range Murata, Satoshi Kon, and Katsuhiro Otomo are going to rate extreamly very high on the enigami charts.

=^_^=

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

07.08.2007, 03:53 PM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm surprised you put Steam Boy up there alongside movies like Millenium Actress. The two aren't comparable. Steam Boy looks very nice but its a shallow movie, like Metropolis.

I watched Last Exile recently. While I very much wanted to like it and parts of it I did like the story on the whole left me unsatisfied. Now way can Murata's character designs save a story that does have a beating heart at its core - and Last Exile lacked that.

Memories - again I think you are in danger of falling into an Otomo fanboy trap. "Memories" itself was very good but the other two stores were pretty poor I thought.

I don't consider myself a fanboy of any director, artist or writer. There's even a couple of Ghibli movies I don't especially like. Every director or artist has their bad days, Otomo IMHO has had more bad ones than good.

To reply, why don't we discuss further on the "other anime" forum as we are OT here.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.08.2007, 06:07 PM.

07.08.2007, 06:07 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Paladin
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I choose Steam Boy for the level of adventure it contains, and the difficult choices the lead, Ray Steam, must face having been thrust into an environment were even members of his own family have turned villainous.

At every turn hes confronted with people who seem to be both ally and enemy at once and must carefully choose which family members teachings are the ones right for him.

Hes been given the tremendous task, unknowingly, of having to reconcile his fractured family to a cohesive whole. A daunting task for any person no matter their age.

I consider both Steam Boy and Millennium Actress to be stories that are both personal journeys and thrilling adventures. Even if the means they use to tell those stories be completely different.

If I was truly just being a fan boy of the 2 directors i would have had to put films like Akira and Paranoia Agent up there as well and those obviously are about as far as you can get from the spirit of a Ghibli movie... though I did thoroughly enjoy them both as well for completely different reasons.

Range Murata's stories tend not to be for every one, seeming to be either hit or miss for most. So theres not much I can say in defense of Last Exile since its too long a series to cover in so small a space. :p Though I definitely have my reasons for including it. ^_~

Are we really off topic though he did ask for movies that were close to other Ghibli films... so it would seem only natural to explain why I think these films can even be mentioned in the same sentence with any Ghibli film. ^_^

07.08.2007, 06:58 PM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I'm surprised you put Steam Boy up there alongside movies like Millenium Actress. The two aren't comparable. Steam Boy looks very nice but its a shallow movie, like Metropolis.

I like the storyline in Metropolis.

07.09.2007, 05:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18 I like the storyline in Metropolis.

Start a thread and lets discuss it then

07.09.2007, 06:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Saw the UK premier of Earthsea yesterday.

Very very enjoyable. Very nice to look at, very well paced movie in which not much happens in the first half but a gentle slow unveiling of plot and characters, both of which are subtle and sympathetic enough to hold the interest.

I have not read the Earthsea books and don't intend to. I understand the movie bears little relationship to the books so just watch it as a stand alone story would seem the most logical.

I was a bit bowled over to find myself watching one of my own fan fics for about ten minutes at one point. Very strange... an almost identical scene and plot moment.

And Therru's song? Yes, as beautiful as everyone says, certainly the emotional high point of the film. Coming as it does without any lead in or preparation I was still in tears by half way through.

Perhaps the finest song/tune in any Ghibli movie, barring the Laputa theme.

It's on general release in the UK cinemas in September apparently and on DVD on Aug 3rd. The cinema release will be the dub I expect.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.11.2007, 05:57 PM.

07.11.2007, 05:40 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
J.L.Jones
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.24.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by J.L.Jones Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmmmmm a funky japanese rocker is Gackt lol hes awesome i like the theme songs alot too like the FMA theme song cant get enough of it

Beyond The Black Moon Lies My Soul, Covered In The Shadows Of Time, I Dwell In The Comfort Of The Night

Rage Is Like A River, Hatred As Its Current Destroying Everything In Its Path...
This Beast That Lies Dormant Beneath The Exterior Feels Strong... It Feels Good... Watch It Rise To The Surface As My Blood Boils And Anger Engulfs My Very Soul

07.11.2007, 05:47 PM J.L.Jones is offline   Profile for J.L.Jones Add J.L.Jones to your buddy list Send an Email to J.L.Jones
Ther_ru
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.27.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ther_ru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Was it dubbed?
Russian localisation was extremely horrible (((
I saw Gedo Senki for I think 20th time yesterday, but with official English dubbing. it was strange, as if star wars soundtrack was mistakenly fastened to the movie.

i am a fan of original japanese soundtrack. Arren is great... well, everybody is great!

Post last edited by Ther_ru on 07.12.2007, 07:17 PM.

07.12.2007, 06:08 PM Ther_ru is offline   Profile for Ther_ru Add Ther_ru to your buddy list Send an Email to Ther_ru
Ther_ru
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ther_ru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I was a bit bowled over to find myself watching one of my own fan fics for about ten minutes at one point. Very strange... an almost identical scene and plot moment.

which scene? ))

07.12.2007, 06:42 PM Ther_ru is offline   Profile for Ther_ru Add Ther_ru to your buddy list Send an Email to Ther_ru
Paladin
Kodama

I did think Ged's English voice actor was very Qui-Gon Jin like.

07.12.2007, 06:55 PM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
Ther_ru
Susuwatari

quote:
Originally posted by Paladin
I did think Ged's English voice actor was very Qui-Gon Jin like.

exactly ))

07.12.2007, 07:11 PM Ther_ru is offline   Profile for Ther_ru Add Ther_ru to your buddy list Send an Email to Ther_ru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Ther_ru
quote:

Was it dubbed?

I saw it at a film festival so it was in Japanese with subtitles. When it comes out on general release and dubbed I probably won't bother going to see it.

The scene that was spookily like my "Castle in the Sky" fanfic was when Ged and Arren go to Tenars farm, much of that whole farm sequence but especially when Ged is talking to Arren in the field about the cycle of life and death and the balance of things. In my story I had an older man give a very similar talk to my version of Pazu.

07.13.2007, 04:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks