QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studio Ghibli Offical Boxset
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Studio Ghibli Offical Boxset » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.27.12
  Studio Ghibli Offical BoxsetPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FuzzyYeti Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey everyone, this is starting to drive me crazy! I'm trying to find a legit official Studio Ghibli box set, US or JAP release, with as many of their movies as possible with English dub and/or sub on them. I came across this:

http://www.hidvds.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=1963&productname=Hayao-Miyazakis-ALL-Movies-Collection-DVD-Boxset

Which I was just about to buy, but then found out that it's most likely fake. So I figured I'd come here and ask the people who would know best.

Any insight would be absolutely fantastic. I'm trying to collect all of his movies, but at like $30 a pop per DVD at like maybe 19 movies? $570... brutal..

02.27.2012, 04:54 PM FuzzyYeti is offline   Profile for FuzzyYeti Add FuzzyYeti to your buddy list
FuzzyYeti
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.27.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FuzzyYeti Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nevermind, I figured it out. I'll share my findings in case anyone else is curious as well.

The biggest "box set" that Studio Ghibli officially released is a 4 Disc, 18 movie set that was released and has an official approval stamp from Malayan government. They typically clock in at around $30 and I've heard that the quality isn't the best in the world since there's roughly 6 movies per disc and Ponyo takes up an entire disc. So they probably did an MPEG-4 compression with H.264 encoding to save on space.

Either way, it's a pretty good deal and are original unedited version of each movie included.

Info source:

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Ghibli-Pres..._pr_product_top

02.27.2012, 05:33 PM FuzzyYeti is offline   Profile for FuzzyYeti Add FuzzyYeti to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's a pirated set. Avoid at all costs. Malayan Govt indeed. Ha!

Basic rule 1: Any box set that has more than 1 film per DVD is pirated.

Basic rule 2: Any boxed set with 'poor quality video' is pirated.

Basic rule 3: Any boxed set that includes Earthsea, Ponyo or Arietty is pirated.

Basic rule 4: Any really cheap boxed set that seems too good to be true, is.

Ghibli have released a boxed set but it was several years ago and I believe included up to Spirited Away. I think it was 9 movies, so there were many gaps. It has only ever been released in Region 3 format (Japan) or so I understand. I don't even think the Disney dubbed soundtracks are on it, just Japanese with English subtitles.

That set though is now out of production so copies are rare and very expensive. You will need to buy each movie separately I am afraid.

Our resident expert Roarkiller can give you the full facts.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.27.2012, 07:47 PM.

02.27.2012, 07:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm thats a shame there isn't really an box set suitable. Ghibli dvds are around $30 here too, so what i do is when it comes to my birthday and christmas i ask for ghibli dvds, it helps a lot. You won't have a full collection straight away, but in a few years you will have a good amount of the collection.

02.27.2012, 08:19 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks